Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Warner Bros. says no to DTS!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#21 of 131 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 06:38 AM

The WB, is against Blue Laser HD-DVD. The WB, is against using full or half-rate DTS. The WB, is against 448 DD. I know their video transfers are uncommonly excellent, especially for classics & at price points against the competition. However, a 'slap' against the quality of the HT presentation, is a 'slap' against the quality of HT presentation. O', and the WB is for....... snappers!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#22 of 131 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,833 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 06:48 AM

Like Ed says: they're doing everything right! Warner Bros. are about film. Cees

#23 of 131 OFFLINE   Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,636 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 08:02 AM

Yeah but Mike, we all know that LDs sounded better anyway Posted Image
No longer here.

#24 of 131 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,826 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 23 2003 - 08:19 AM

Hey, I like snappers!

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#25 of 131 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 09:00 AM

[quote] Hey, I like snappers! [quote] I don't like them or digipaks.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#26 of 131 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 09:16 AM

[quote] Hey, I like snappers! [quote]I'm not trying to start anything, but why do you like them? Yes, I know this has been talked to death, but I'm always curious when someone says they like snappers because I find so many who are against them.

I don't like them because the snap always gets caught when you try to slide them back in with the other snappers.

Again, just curious. Posted Image

#27 of 131 OFFLINE   Jon-C

Jon-C

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 09:17 AM

Please excuse my ignorance. How do you determine the bitrate? :b

#28 of 131 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 09:32 AM

[quote] How do you determine the bitrate? [quote]
It's not an unreasonable question.

Many (but not all) DD decoders will report the bitrate as well as other information about the signal. Some DVD players also report the bitrate, or so I'm told.

Check your receiver's documentation. You may have to hit a switch or bring up an on-screen display to see information about the DD signal. On Lexicon processors (which is what I've always used), there's a special menu item that's only available when playing DD tracks (or, on later models, DTS tracks).

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#29 of 131 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,717 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 09:57 AM

I love dts just like the next person, but also love DD too. Sometimes there's a big difference and at other times there's not. I don't have too much of a problem with WB not using dts...rather a bigger problem in them not giving the DD the love and care it deserves. Case in point: HP Chamber of Secrets sounds flat and uninspired. It was waaaaay more alive in the theater. Here's hoping that WB will maximize their DD tracks and have the Quality Assurance techs make sure they've been decoded accurately.

#30 of 131 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,606 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 10:13 AM

[quote] It's just an audio format, not magic. [quote]

Unbeliever! Posted Image

#31 of 131 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 10:48 AM

[quote] Some DVD players also report the bitrate, or so I'm told. [quote]

My Sony DVP-S530D player has a bitrate meter that also reports the bitrate of the soundtrack. Other display menus can display the sound format and the number of channels encoded (and where they are located).

DJ

#32 of 131 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 973 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 10:51 AM

[quote] What's even more confusing to me is their use of 384kbs DD! This makes absolutely no sense to me! [quote]

I agree. To add a typical DTS track, 765kb/s must be allocated from the total bit-rate, and should be carefully considered, but to go from DD 384kb/s to DD 448kb/s is only a 64kb/s difference! That's nothing!! But every other major studio seems to understand this and have moved up to DD 448kb/s. For me, the 384kb/s bitrate policy goes hand-in-hand with WB snapper case mentality.

#33 of 131 OFFLINE   greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 11:03 AM

I agree with that.

#34 of 131 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,799 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted April 23 2003 - 11:26 AM

An ad for the upcoming release of "Young Guns: SE" lists the audio formats as:

5.1 DTS Audio
2.0 Dolby Audio

Now that's how to program a DVD. Posted Image Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#35 of 131 OFFLINE   DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 12:40 PM

It's funny, I am not even a really big DVD person (I play too many games), and very not-picky, but even I hate the snappers (once I found out what the nickname for them was). I realized I hated them when I was watching by Babylon 5 pilot in one of those frickin' snappy cases and I had to wrestle it open and closed. My fiancee (the big movie person) has always hated them. I don't know if I would call it a big deal, but, they look like they came up with them about 10 years ago compared to the other cases.
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street

#36 of 131 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 02:30 PM

WB said "no" to dts, but they said "yes" to damn near everything else. The incredible release schedule of catalog titles is phenominal - almost everything I'd hoped they would eventually release seems to be coming within the next year. So, the major issue we had with them a year or two ago is now a thing of the past. I, for one, am very grateful.

#37 of 131 OFFLINE   Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 03:10 PM

[quote] I realized I hated them when I was watching by Babylon 5 pilot in one of those frickin' snappy cases and I had to wrestle it open and closed. [quote]

Oh, come on. You must be doing something wrong. They're no harder to open and close than a regular keepcase--maybe even easier since there's something to grasp.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#38 of 131 OFFLINE   Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze

Producer

• 3,134 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 05:30 PM

[quote] I realized I hated them when I was watching by Babylon 5 pilot in one of those frickin' snappy cases and I had to wrestle it open and closed [quote] Man you must hate pretzel!Posted Image

#39 of 131 OFFLINE   Chris Rein

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 05:39 PM

You know, I've never been a big fan of Warner's titles. Out of my 700+ collection, I RARELY reach for "reference" Warner material. There could be several reasons behind this (not worth throwing this thread off topic), but man, even the Matrix hardly gets a pull from me. Dreamworks, 20th Century Fox and Columbia/Tri-Star get the most "reference pulls" from me. Why? Because the overall presentation on those discs ROCK. Features, sound and picture. Not one or the other. After watching one of their movies I can't wait to pop it back in and watch/hear it again. And sure, Warner's video quality has been top notch lately, but I've ALWAYS thought their audio was lacking, and this was even before I found out they were half-assin' their bitrates.

I am very bitter about the crappy comments found in the Warner chat about DTS. I felt that whole conversation was a big JO session. Sure, some good titles were announced, but "issues"/concerns were dealt with poorly, if at all. I wish people wouldn't be all lovey dovey in these chat sessions. Let it out! You know you want to! Posted Image It's the only way people learn and correct their mistakes (thank you Paramount Posted Image )

And if I were Steven Spielberg, I would have had Warner's ass for not putting a DTS track on The Color Purple. But hey, that's just me! Same goes for a George Lucas movie (let me clear this up right now....movies Directed by, not producing, etc.) without THX. I can't wait to see what they do with THX-1138! Posted Image

Okay, I'm done ranting.

Chris

#40 of 131 OFFLINE   Craig W

Craig W

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted April 24 2003 - 01:46 AM

Let's not forget the fact that theatrical DD is also 384kbs. So I think WB is using the theatrical compressed version of the soundtracks without spending the extra time to recompress for the home format. It's one possible theory. The other theory is that they want to resell these titles to anal collectors in a couple of years using marketing jargon like newly remastered soundtracks for the best possible quality (ie 448kbs).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users