What's new

Warner Bros. says no to DTS! (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Ed,

I think any one of us would probably consider either high resolution PCM (24/96 and above) or high resolution DSD as the primary track in any HD disc specs. to be a giant step in the right direction!

I know I would! :emoji_thumbsup:

Dan

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I think any one of us would probably consider either high resolution PCM (24/96 and above) or high resolution DSD as the primary track in any HD disc specs. to be a giant step in the right direction!
I know I would!
Since it's not possible with the current technology it's a waste of time and effort to talk about it here. And considering how good DD and DTS can sound I personally don't really miss it.

What we should be advocating is making the most of what we have now.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Blu-Ray can do it (dual layered or double sided, I'd prefer dual layered), and to some extent so can the blue laser Toshiba/NEC.

I've heard those two high rez. audio formats and what they can do (especially when given a good recording), and I would not miss DTS or Dolby Digital in the least!

HD video discs should be the new laserdisc. As it is this would be a niche product for quite some time. The critical few like us should get the good stuff this time around (great video, great audio, and OAR all the time). Those consumers who could care less or can't tell the difference can have DVD. I may sound snobbish, but look at what is already happening to the DVD format as it stands...

Dan

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I may sound snobbish, but look at what is already happening to the DVD format as it stands...
Yeah, it offers more titles in OAR with generally better video quality and more special features than laserdisc did throughout its entire time on the market, and it all happened in a small fraction of laserdisc's entire market lifespan. What a tragedy!

DJ

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it offers more titles in OAR with generally better video quality and more special features than laserdisc did throughout its entire time on the market, and it all happened in a small fraction of laserdisc's entire market lifespan. What a tragedy
Good One!:D

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
You guys know what I mean when I use the laserdisc analogy. Laserdiscs in relationship to VHS had BETTER audio, and BETTER picture quality, and they were a bastion for those of us looking for widescreen presentations.

Does the mainstream actually have to be a part of a blue laser, ultra high capacity system? Is that really a good thing??

In fact I think one of the attitudes by those wanting the red laser HD-DVD's was that that would be for the masses and blue laser could be a more upscale product (maybe that's changed, however... who knows?).

Dan

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Dan, mainstream acceptance is the only thing that will get a good vartiety of titles with a great deal of effort put into their release. For all the praises peopel sing of laser disc, look at the average quality of release and variety of releases vs. DVD and you'll see DVD comes out well ahead. Some of this is doubtless do to technology improvements, but have a userbase that's many dozens of times bigger so as to spread the cost around is also a factor.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Dan, mainstream acceptance is the only thing that will get a good vartiety of titles with a great deal of effort put into their release. For all the praises peopel sing of laser disc, look at the average quality of release and variety of releases vs. DVD and you'll see DVD comes out well ahead. Some of this is doubtless do to technology improvements, but have a userbase that's many dozens of times bigger so as to spread the cost around is also a factor.
Let me guess. You weren't into home theater during the LaserDisc era. While not as ubiquitous as DVD, LD, even with the small market share, had no problem with "a good vartiety of titles with a great deal of effort put into their release" at all.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Let me guess. You weren't into home theater during the LaserDisc era.
I was, and I agree with Dan's description, on a comparative basis. Yes, LD put out a "good variety" of titles, many of which had major effort put into their release. But DVD has done better, and in much less time.

M.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If HD-DVD becomes LD, that would be 'OK'.
Titles at $25,$50 and $100, & players at $250,$500 and $1200.
Just, HD-DVD can't become D-VHS!:frowning:
With very little software & hardware, too chose from!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks