Warner Bros. says no to DTS!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Samuel_M, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

The WB, is against Blue Laser HD-DVD.
    The WB, is against using full or half-rate DTS.
    The WB, is against 448 DD.

I know their video transfers are uncommonly excellent, especially for classics & at price points against the competition.

However, a 'slap' against the quality of the HT presentation, is a 'slap' against the quality of HT presentation.

O', and the WB is for....... snappers!

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Like Ed says: they're doing everything right!
    Warner Bros. are about film.

Cees

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Yeah but Mike, we all know that LDs sounded better anyway [​IMG]

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  5. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

7. Jon-C

Jon-C Stunt Coordinator

Please excuse my ignorance. How do you determine the bitrate? :b

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

9. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I love dts just like the next person, but also love DD too. Sometimes there's a big difference and at other times there's not.

I don't have too much of a problem with WB not using dts...rather a bigger problem in them not giving the DD the love and care it deserves. Case in point: HP Chamber of Secrets sounds flat and uninspired. It was waaaaay more alive in the theater.

Here's hoping that WB will maximize their DD tracks and have the Quality Assurance techs make sure they've been decoded accurately.

10. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

11. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

12. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

13. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I agree with that.

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    An ad for the upcoming release of "Young Guns: SE" lists the audio formats as:

5.1 DTS Audio
    2.0 Dolby Audio

Now that's how to program a DVD. [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

It's funny, I am not even a really big DVD person (I play too many games), and very not-picky, but even I hate the snappers (once I found out what the nickname for them was). I realized I hated them when I was watching by Babylon 5 pilot in one of those frickin' snappy cases and I had to wrestle it open and closed. My fiancee (the big movie person) has always hated them.
    I don't know if I would call it a big deal, but, they look like they came up with them about 10 years ago compared to the other cases.

16. Dick

Dick Producer

Rick
    WB said "no" to dts, but they said "yes" to damn near everything else. The incredible release schedule of catalog titles is phenominal - almost everything I'd hoped they would eventually release seems to be coming within the next year. So, the major issue we had with them a year or two ago is now a thing of the past. I, for one, am very grateful.

17. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

18. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

19. Chris Rein

Chris Rein Stunt Coordinator

You know, I've never been a big fan of Warner's titles. Out of my 700+ collection, I RARELY reach for "reference" Warner material. There could be several reasons behind this (not worth throwing this thread off topic), but man, even the Matrix hardly gets a pull from me. Dreamworks, 20th Century Fox and Columbia/Tri-Star get the most "reference pulls" from me. Why? Because the overall presentation on those discs ROCK. Features, sound and picture. Not one or the other. After watching one of their movies I can't wait to pop it back in and watch/hear it again. And sure, Warner's video quality has been top notch lately, but I've ALWAYS thought their audio was lacking, and this was even before I found out they were half-assin' their bitrates.

I am very bitter about the crappy comments found in the Warner chat about DTS. I felt that whole conversation was a big JO session. Sure, some good titles were announced, but "issues"/concerns were dealt with poorly, if at all. I wish people wouldn't be all lovey dovey in these chat sessions. Let it out! You know you want to! [​IMG] It's the only way people learn and correct their mistakes (thank you Paramount [​IMG] )

And if I were Steven Spielberg, I would have had Warner's ass for not putting a DTS track on The Color Purple. But hey, that's just me! Same goes for a George Lucas movie (let me clear this up right now....movies Directed by, not producing, etc.) without THX. I can't wait to see what they do with THX-1138! [​IMG]

Okay, I'm done ranting.

Chris

20. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

Let's not forget the fact that theatrical DD is also 384kbs. So I think WB is using the theatrical compressed version of the soundtracks without spending the extra time to recompress for the home format. It's one possible theory. The other theory is that they want to resell these titles to anal collectors in a couple of years using marketing jargon like newly remastered soundtracks for the best possible quality (ie 448kbs).