What's new

What is wrong here?! (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hey guys, I finally went to bestbuy today and got my stuff to hook up to XBL, everything appeared to be going smoothly until I actually tried to get on to start my new account and my XB could not get on to XBL, I went to network settings and everything was fine except for DNS server. The numbers for the DNS server were the same as the router set-up address and guess what, neither one worked. I could not set-up my router because the address they gave (http://192.168.0.1.) did not work :thumbsdown: . Needless to say there is nothing that can be done and I'm going to have to return all my stuff tommorow:frowning: . This is a huge let-down for me. Does anyone know what may be going on here? My router was a D-Link di604 if that helps. According to my X-Box and checking all cables were plugged in and working fine, I've narrowed the problem down to my router (which BTW caused my modem to not work as well). I guess I just wasn't meant to get Live. All the same I would like to know what may have happened if anyone has any suggestions.Thanks.

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Keith, this is Keith here... I have successfully set up a D-link 604 using both DSL and cable. I did not change any settings on the router. I did however download the latest firmware update, which was absolutely necessary to make everything work. The particulars of your problem do not cause any flags in my head... but at the very least I would suggest downloading the latest version of the firmware and making sure that the videogame setting of your router is enabled.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure BestBuy has a more than 1 day return policy. I'd suggest waiting to see if someone can give you some help before taking everything back. Call DLink or Microsoft support if you have to.

which BTW caused my modem to not work as well
Eh? How can a router make a modem to not work? Maybe give is some more insight on how you hooked everything up.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Unfortunately, it might be hard to return the Xbox Live package if you've already revealed the subscription code. I recently bought an open-box kit from CompUSA and discovered the communicator was missing the strap. Taking it back took several discussions further up the chain and pointing out that the code was still covered. Good luck.

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
I get it now. You're saying that not only does XBlive not work, but your internet connection ceased to work once you attached your router. So your router's DHCP is not setup or working properly. It is no wonder XBlive can't connect if you don't have an internet connection at all through your router. Not sure where to go from here, but there are some basic troubleshooting measures for making sure that your router works properly.

Go through the guided setup for your router again. If you have DSL, you need to not only enter the username and password, but you have to have the latest firmware for it to work. Please acknowledge that you have atleast done that.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I've narrowed the problem down to my router (which BTW caused my modem to not work as well).
Keith, this sounds to me like your router needs to be authorized by your isp. Call your broadband provider and tell them you got a new router but it is not working in conjunction with your modem. My guess is once they authorize the router (instead of the modem), all will be well.

Gary

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Yeah in addition to what Gary said, the ISP will authorize it by inputting the MAC address of your router. Right now they only know the MAC address of your cable modem so they think some unauthorized user is plugged into your connection.

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Keith,

How is your ISP and what brand modem are you using? I know that Earthlink is now using modems that have to be converted to use with a router or they will not work. That is for earthlink DSL and the modem that I have is a Broadmax model and I understand that they also have a Dataquest modem that is similar.

If you do have Earthlink DSL and you do have one of those modems, first I suggest that you hook your computer up directly to the DSL modem to make sure that your service is working and everything else is also okay with your DSL service and your computer.

Assuming that your DSL is working, then read this faq..
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5528 about how to disable the router mode in the DSL modem so that it can be hooked up to your router. After you do that you should be able to reconnect your router and connect to the internet again and hook up your XBOX also. Just remember, once you disable the modem's router mode it will not work directly into your computer. There is a reset button on the modem that will change it back to factory settings if needed, just push it down while power is on.

If you are using earthlink DSl there is a bunch of good reading in this faq....
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/earthlink/
The disabling of the DSL modem's router mode is part of that.

If you are not using Earthlink's DSL, then my suggestions might not apply to you at all. I don't know if other providers are using those DSL Modems as well.

Good luck,
Glenn

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hey all, sorry I haven't updated you guys yet. I've been fed up with this situation all day. My service is Cable. My router is web configurable which means I have to get on the internet to run the setup process. In order to do this the router instructions give me an IP type set of numbers which are supposed to start the set-up if I punch them in on my browser address bar. The only problem with this is that the numbers flat out do not work and they instead disconnect me from the internet and it becomes impossible for me to get back on without restarting either my modem or my computer. As it stands now I an't even configure my router because of those stupid numbers and I have completely disconnected the router and connected my modem back to the ethernet slot on my computer instead of through the USB. Another big complaint is that when I tried to go get firmware updates for this router they won't open on my computer giving me some error message about "the file winamp.ink could not be found" which makes absolutly no sense because Winamp is my MP3 program, why would it open firmware? needless to say that the whole situation sucks and I'm very fed up with it. My modem works better without the router and the router ain't working. Any ideas? thanks.

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Your problem is fixable. You have to do things in order.
-Forget XBlive for a moment, you just need to get your router working.
-Forget Internet access and firmware update, because neither of those will work until you finish your router's setup wizard (The proper procedure for updating your firmware is through the router interface - you can't double-click on the file, that just confuses things).

The IP address is http://192.168.0.1/ as mentioned in the previous post. Connect your computer to your router with a cat5 ethernet cable and then power on your router (I don't understand where or why you are using USB, but don't). Type in the IP address above and you should be able to go through the setup process.

If you get through the above steps, where you haven't before, then I'm guessing ALL of your previous issues will be resolved. It is like programming. One error can cause what appears to be many other specific errors. It sucks, but it feels good to fix it. Good luck.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Yeah to reiterate on what keith said,
plug your computer into one of the router's downlink ports and run the http://192.168.0.1 Then run the setup wizard for the router(changing the Mac address of the router if need be). Then plug the cable modems into the WAN port on the router and you should be ready to go. Let us know if it works.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hey All, I'm very happy to report that I finally got it to work. I plugged my modem in to the WAN port on the router and and a Cat5 cable to my computer from the router. I did get it to configure this way and am now surfing the internet normally like before. I plugged some cat5 in to my X-Box and tested it to see if it got on to the internet and it did! Everything appears to be working normally now.For some strange reason I thought the modem went to USB if you plug it into a router. The only concern I had was when the router configuration was done and the settings saved to the router my internet disconnected, one restart of my computer solved this though and it seems to be working normally ever since so I guess it was normal. One last question though, since this all seems to be working now will I see a big decrease in my surfing speeds? thanks.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
since this all seems to be working now will I see a big decrease in my surfing speeds?
No, it has no effect on bandwidth or latency.

Glad to hear you got it running. Home networking can be tough to get working if you havent done it before.

What is your XBox Live gamertag? What games do you have for live>??

Jeff

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Jeff, my gamertag is Cletus Vandam. As of right now I have an unopened copy of GR which I'm debating on returning. The truth is I don't know which XBL game to get and am torn between GR and Unreal. I've never really played a game like GR before so I don't know what to expect, I usually play the faster FPS's like Halo or Perfect Dark.I played Unreal and thought it was fun but it might be a little to fast for me. How do you make and host those little XBL tags in your signature's? is there anyone that make one and host it for me? thanks.

-Keith-

XBL Gamertag: Cletus Vandam

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
My opinion is stick with Ghost Recon or Mech Assault at the moment . Stay away from unreal as it has frame rate problems and like you said its too fast. Clone Wars comes out on the 22nd and then wolfenstein the first week of May.

capt

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Jay, that is great! Who can host it? how do I put it in my signature? thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks