What's new

While we weren't paying attention Playstation Plus has gotten badass (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I like that they're having these crazy sales (like Steam) but I also like the idea of picking up a physical copy of a game after its been out for 2 years for $10, whereas I'd have to wait for a crazy PSN sale for it to dip below $20 or $30 at that point. Physical goods still maintain that bit of value proposition (what's it worth to you?) sort of pricing that digital distribution won't match. Conversely, it also offers the "there are only 100,000 copies made so they're expensive" pricing.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Everyone is different of course and you aren't wrong for liking what you like, but to me holding on to physical because it makes the object you purchased slightly more valuable over the long term due to scarcity is tremendously easy to give up in order to have a whole universe of content at sliding prices.

It means I get to support creators at a wide scale of value propositions instead of $60 take it or leave it, and maybe they will get a buck or two (but probably not!) once it's in the value bin.

Just look at the amazing support that vendors are giving to things like the Humble Bundle, it's because they are still getting real money when their products are years old and not worth full retail PLUS they get marketed to new people who never would have paid at full price AND they get interest for their new releases and sequels to boot. Win/win/win.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I actually mentioned the long-term scarcity price inflation thing as a negative of physical goods. I hate that and I think digital kind of negates it in a good way. For example, why would someone buy my physical copy of Vagrant Story on PS1 if they can get it on PSN for $7? That said, if I want to buy Call of Duty and only play the 4 hour single player mode (I have zero interest in multiplayer games and even less interest in CoD, by the way) then why should I be forced to pay $50 for the next 2 years to get it digitally when I can wait 6 months and get it for under $30 as a used game at GameStop?

I think $60 for games that are typically only around 10-15 hours is too much. Many have multiplayer added as a way to add "value" (this is actually a trend that's been decreasing, but its still there in AAA games like The Last of Us) but I'd rather lose those modes and get a lower price or have an a la carte system where you buy the modes you want at reasonable prices. Since a game has modes that I don't want to play or features I don't care about, then I don't want to pay $60 for them. It's like buying a barebones DVD for $5 or the super edition with all the bonus features that I never plan on watching for $20. The current model, retail and digital, doesn't really offer what I'm looking for. And that's why I usually buy old or used games.

That said, I did buy The Last of Us over the summer but on a decent sale ($45). Some games I am willing to support with my money. But not many.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Being that I don't play Call of Duty games (or Battlefield or any multiplayer-centric game) $45 is still too much. Heck, $45 for a console game is still what I consider to be too much.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Just saw that the PS3 is getting Borderlands 2 for free on the PS+ in December. That's a pretty huge title. The other is Grid 2 which is supposed to be a pretty good racing game.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Played Borderlands 1 hardcore for like 2-3 hours, then immediately lost interest. It reminded me a lot of Assassin's Creed 1: neat concept and great art direction, but really by-the-numbers execution that relies too heavily on a simple/boring reward. (In AC, it was "another identical mission." In Borderlands, it was "loot.")

I may download BL2 anyway because I hear the game is primarily fun when you play with people. But I don't really play multiplayer so...?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
They've released the promo video for US+ next month.PS3: Bioshock InfinitePS3: BrothersPS3: Devil May Cry (DMC version)PS4: Don't StarveVita: Smart AsVita: Worms Battle Islands

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
To be fair, Bioshock: Infinite has already been on sale for under $20 at various retailers.

Which is not a knock on the awesomeness of PS+.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Yes, I bought Bioshock:Infinite for $20. Finished it and Bioshock 1 which is included on the same disk. Are you saying if you subscribe to PS+ you get the game to play for free? How long does it stay active on the PS3 once its downloaded - one month?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
RolandL said:
Yes, I bought Bioshock:Infinite for $20. Finished it and Bioshock 1 which is included on the same disk. Are you saying if you subscribe to PS+ you get the game to play for free? How long does it stay active on the PS3 once its downloaded - one month?
If you have a PS+ membership, you can download the game and play it for however long you want provided you keep your PS+ active. You can even download it, delete it and redownload it later provided you downloaded it once when it was offered for free.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
How many games can you download each month? Are games like The Last of Us, which was mentioned previously as free, become available again for free?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
They shuffle them up. Typically once a month they retire a game and add a few new ones. this week was Devil May Cry, I think Infinite will drop next week and be there at least a couple months.

Last Of Us has not been a free game on the PSN, I think it's a pack in game on a new PS3.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yep. Outlast for PS4 released today. 4.3Gb download. Along with a 1.60 Firmware update that allows for Wireless headsets (Sony Elite)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks