What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
For those that bought the original WAC disc of The Big House, it goes with out saying it was a pretty weak showing and a telltale product or the rocky early period of the MOD program. While the video was certainly subpar, the real weakness of that first transfer was the audio. Much of it was so muffled it was unintelligible unless the volume was cranked waaaay up and even then it didn't completely solve the problem.

Watched the new disc of The Big House and I was reminded why I enjoyed this second viewing more than the first--I could actually hear all of the dialogue being spoken clearly. Video is a clear improvement don't get me wrong, but the real victory was in the audio department.

filmscorerundow

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Wrobel
https://twitter.com/filmscorerundow

I am researching the written music of THE DESERT SONG at Warner Archives/USC. Wondering what is the update now in mid-April 2014 regarding the release of the 1943 version starring Dennis Morgan??
Also, George Felterstein mentioned in one of his podcasts (on THE HANGING TREE) that he has a Max Steiner expert he consults. I wonder who that is?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
filmscorerundowns said:
https://twitter.com/filmscorerundow Also, George Felterstein mentioned in one of his podcasts (on THE HANGING TREE) that he has a Max Steiner expert he consults. I wonder who that is?
It could be James D'Arc, curator at BYU. They have an extensive Max Steiner materials collection in their library, and we know he has has worked with Warner in the past on King Kong as BYU also holds the Cooper collection/papers.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Anybody else noticed that WA increased their MSRP to 21.99 for many titles? I wonder if the 20% off sale is part of why the price increased from 19.99 to 21.99?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Certainly interesting. We'll see it it sticks after the sale is over. Otherwise that's a $3 spike from the usual 18.99.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Question...

I recently got a copy of "Jupiter's Darling" from Ebay (the first time I haven't used Amazon when getting WA discs), and the disc looks - usual - to me at least. The disc isn't filled out all the way (like when you burn a 30-minute album onto an 80-minute disc - you can see where it 'ends').

I played the disc and chapter-skipped to the end. It appears fine. It's just the first time I've encountered a weird-looking playing surface on a WA disc.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
That's definitely atypical of Warner Archive MODs. But all in all it makes no difference. Sony MODs often have a visible "end" to them yet still look fantastic. It's purely cosmetic.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Yes it played fine - a brief "hiccup" on the first DVD player I started playing it on; took it over to my second player (different brand) and it played through without issues.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
classicmovieguy said:
Yes it played fine - a brief "hiccup" on the first DVD player I started playing it on; took it over to my second player (different brand) and it played through without issues.
I'm finding that these "Hiccups" are all too common in the MOD discs, despite their premium price tags.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
A brief freeze during one of Howard's musical numbers. Disc played perfectly on the other DVD player I tried it on. Certain players react in different ways to DVD-R discs.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
it all depends on the dvd player one uses. a disc can play fine on one and have flaws when played on another.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I just noticed that the enjoyable Herbert Wilcox production of "IRENE" has been added to the pre-orders.
Anna Neagle and Ray Milland star with a great cast of supporting actors.
The movie is in B&W but it has a beautiful Technicolor sequence to highlight the song "Alice Blue Gown"

It will be great to have it on NTSC and throw away my old speeded up PAL version.

irene1.jpg

irene2.jpg
irene3.jpg

irene4.jpg

Doug,

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
This might be a rare instance where the overseas disc is on par with the the WAC disc, tough the WAC disc might be better.

Please share a comparison, Doug.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
JoHud said:
This might be a rare instance where the overseas disc is on par with the the WAC disc, tough the WAC disc might be better.

Please share a comparison, Doug.
Joe, my scans above were taken from a local TV broadcast.
Surprisingly it was not on TCM, but run on our Australian National TV Broadcaster who has access to most RKO titles.
It was quite a decent print, so I hope the Warner archive disc is as good or even better in comparison.

I'll order the WAC disc when it becomes available as I detest Musicals with PAL speed-up.

DVD-R doesn't worry me, although a pressed disc is always preferable.

Doug.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Robert Crawford said:
Anybody else noticed that WA increased their MSRP to 21.99 for many titles?
Yes, and if it keeps up (as it seems to be) it's going to save me a lot of money.

---------------

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
The Warner Archive has given Critic's Choice ccvideo.com a four movie Alan Ladd exclusive.They are not showing up in the online inventory, yet, but are in the Critic's Choice May 2014 Catalog which is up at the CC site.The movies are : DRUM BEAT- 1954THE BIG LAND- 1957THE DEEP SIX- 1959GUNS OF THE TIMBERLAND- 1960These will also probably be showing up at the other Super D sites...importcds.com and Deepdiscount.com. etc. The regular new WAC titles seem to take longer to appear at the Super D sites lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks