What's new

Vista Upgrade / Remote Control question. (1 Viewer)

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
Right now we have a 'media computer' hooked up to our HDTV. This is not a Media Center Edition pc however. We're just running XP home.

I am thinking of upgrading to Vista on just our media computer. I know that Vista is/has MCE. I know that MCE can work with a remote.

Here's my question:

Our current computer clearly doesn't have an IR receiver so how does upgrading to Vista and using a Remote (harmony 880, to be purchased today) work? Will I have to purchase an add on IR Receiver? Or is it just impossible to use a remote with my existing rig?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Bob_C

Agent
I use a Harmony remote with my mce 2005 system. The only thing is, I had to buy the official MS remote to make it work. It comes with the USB receiver you need to make it happen. You can find them on newegg.com for around $40.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
My HP MCE came with a remote and IR receiver, however I have been unable to figure out how to get it linked up with my Logitec multifunction remote.

Regardless, if you're getting MC, I recommend the remote. Unless you've got a wireless keyboard, then it's really moot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks