Vista Upgrade / Remote Control question.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Adam.Heckman, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Right now we have a 'media computer' hooked up to our HDTV. This is not a Media Center Edition pc however. We're just running XP home.

I am thinking of upgrading to Vista on just our media computer. I know that Vista is/has MCE. I know that MCE can work with a remote.

Here's my question:

Our current computer clearly doesn't have an IR receiver so how does upgrading to Vista and using a Remote (harmony 880, to be purchased today) work? Will I have to purchase an add on IR Receiver? Or is it just impossible to use a remote with my existing rig?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

2. Bob_C

Bob_C Agent

I use a Harmony remote with my mce 2005 system. The only thing is, I had to buy the official MS remote to make it work. It comes with the USB receiver you need to make it happen. You can find them on newegg.com for around $40.

3. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

4. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    My HP MCE came with a remote and IR receiver, however I have been unable to figure out how to get it linked up with my Logitec multifunction remote.

Regardless, if you're getting MC, I recommend the remote. Unless you've got a wireless keyboard, then it's really moot.