What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Equalizer 3 -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The three Equalizer films, all directed by Antoine Fuqua and starring Denzel Washington, take basically the same tack. The first was an interesting film, the second - at least to me - didn't measure up, and the third is the best, and goes beyond the initial simple concept. Good vs. Evil.

"Are you a good man or a bad man?"

"I don't know."

As a modernization of the "man with no name" genre, Denzel Washington has big shoes to fill, but (again, my opinion) as of our finest actors, works his charm and is the centerpiece of a wonderful film.

Interestingly, he doesn't have a great deal of dialogue, filling out the character with sly looks, and questions rather than answers.

The 4k UHD disc from Sony does a beautiful job of relocating the original 4k data files to a tiny disc, and the Atmos track works its charm for those with the requisite sound systems.

My surprise after viewing this, is that it's actually a beautifully crafted piece of work.

Now for the most important part of any review. The slipcover.

It's a beautiful slip. Basic black with an overall matte finish, which sets off the title graphic, which is featured as gloss - both white and red - along with the press quote at the bottom. The reverse mimics the obverse in style, with the black matte overlayed with red and white gloss.

Overall, it's an elegant affair, that may become a highly valued collectible.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Worth your attention - 7

Slipcover rating - 4

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I really enjoyed this on the big screen, felt it was a decent wrap-up to the trilogy that the two made together. Some good call-backs to the first two movies in this one, but subtle.

I received the 4K yesterday and watched it at the end of my work day and quite enjoyed it. I find that it's a film that works equally well on the big and smaller screens.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Hate to break your heart, RAH, but despite your glowing review of the slipcover, I went with the Best Buy SteelBook.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Have not yet viewed this movie but have seen the first two and have enjoyed both of them. I really do need to sit down and watch the third movie soon.

Equalizer 4K Trilogy.jpg

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Can someone who owns this in UHD Blu-ray confirm something for me?

My copy seems to have trailers that didn't engage HDR on my player/display -- is this normal, and just the way the disc was authored?

Seemed odd for a Sony release, in particular, as their trailers are normally pretty bright and punchy in HDR on the 4Ks...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks