What's new

Upscaling/HDef DVD Player merged thread (2 Viewers)

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
Hey David, you know what you say makes perfect sense. In your instance you're benefiting from the scaling. I'm sure you can see the results yourself.

I'm not trying to say the 'scaling' performed by the DVD player does nothing. It was definitely scaling, I could see the changes in the menu system itself, when I selected 720P on the display menu on the Samsung HD850 the white/blue border around the text in the menu system itself sharpened up... but not necessarily in a good way, it just made edge enhancements more noticeable.

I like to watch most movies a bit on the soft side if the video quality is suspect. My TV has three 'picture' settings I can toggle between, one is soft w/ no edge enhancements, the other two are edgy and edgiest respectively. All experience the 'red push' evidenced when I tested it throught the video calibration DVD. I don't know how to turn it down. I have found some nice posts on the AVSforums though that explain how to access the service menu for my display, I have yet to build up the courage to do it.

Hey, if someone does this stuff in my area with real test equipment I'd love to pay a reasonable cost for the service.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I own and use a NeuNeo HVD2081 and a Zenith DVB318. I have never owned an expensive high quality DVD player. I use the players with a Panasonic PT-L500U 720p LCD projector and Sony XBR910. I don't see any evident improvement with upscaling on the XBR910 but I do prefer upscaling with the projector. The difference is not great and I concede a high quality 480p player might be better but I am not likely to buy one and just live with what I have. I mostly use a JVC XV-SA602SL with the XBR910 and I am happy with that combination.

Chris

RonaldS

Grip
Dear John.Morris,

I would be interested in your comparison if you do one. My Zenith DVB318 has gone dead on me and I am looking to buy a new DVD player. Although I was happy with the DVB318 when it was working, I am hesistant to buy a new one because I was using it via components and I understand that new builds do not have this capability and I am not happy that it went dead after such a short period of time.

The Oppo has gotten good reviews and there seemed to be a lot of satisfaction with it in this discussion group some time back but there has been silence lately. Regarding the Oppo, do you know if it will it be compatible with the DVI-HDTV input on my Sony XBR910 which is compliant with EIA-861 standard and can accommodate HDCP connection?

Re post by Christopher_G - I did notice an picture improvement in upscaling the DVB318 to 1080i into my XBR910 (which has native 1080i resolution). I used the component connection and calibrated using the Avia DVD Essentials DVD. Did you try that? I think that the results were better with the component that with the DVI connection. In comparing upconverted 1080i with 480p, the picture was noticeably smoother on curved objects and the the "flutter" on small striped items or checkboard items was virtually non-existent while there could be that "flutter" at 480p. I did not do any viewing or comparative testing at all at 720p. I will say though that the picture on the XBR910 is pretty good even without DVD player upconversion (even with my old 480i player) because the TV has its own internal "upconversion" feature. So I was pleasantly surprised at the improvement with the upconversion.

RonaldS

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
I just received my Samsung HD941 tonight. I immediately hooked it up to my Samsung 4663 DLP TV. My wife and son had just finished Ice Age using a 3 year old sony progressive scan through S-Video.

I put Ice Age back in and watched about 10 minutes on the 941. We were absolutely blown away with the improvement. Now granted, I was running through S-Video before, so I can't tell you how it compares to 480P through component on the Sony. The colors are much more vivid, the blacks are much darker.

I have yet to calibrate with Avia.

I needed a new DVD player anyway, and this was only $125. The HDMI and upscaling, plus the fact that it matches the design of the TV and is a much smaller footprint than my older Sony, this was a slam dunk success. I absolutely love it so far.

Just thought I'd add comments.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

My DVD318 does 480p very poorly so the 1080i is much better regardless of display when using that player. My JVC XV-SA602SL looks just as good at 480p as the DVB318 does at 1080i on my XBR910 so I just continue to use the old JVC.

Chris

I just got the LG LDA-511 to do Upconversion over component. Unfortunately I MUST HAVE 3:2 pulldown or I get severe scanlines on my TV so I have to take it back (it doesn't have that feature). I noticed a bigger difference in sound more than video, to be honest. My $50 samsung DVD player has 3:2 pulldown, and the EZ View is really beneficial to us on our TV.

What are the top 3 dvd players on the market now (any price) - I'm making my Christmas list early.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I own both the zenith and the sony 975(over hdmi)and the sony blows the zenith out of the water. makes the zenith look like 480p when its actually in upscale mode. the sony 975 has much detail.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
I just bought myself a Samsung DVD-HD941 ($126 @ www.c-source.com couldn't pass up a good deal) to replace my old LiteOn 2001, and so far so good. Upgraded it to the latest firmware, and did the HDCP-disable remote code, and it's upconverting nicely over component. I only had just enough time to do basic set up so far, but perhaps tonight I'll have time to calibrate with Avia.

I chose the 941 over the 850 (which is roughly the same price) largely because of DCDi. I figured I'd get the better picture from the 941, and am crossing my fingers that I won't have any macroblocking woes. Even if I do I suspect it'll still be better overall than the LO2001. The DVD-A and SACD are a nice bonus, and I might even make myself some cables to hook up the 6ch outputs. But I gotta say, 3 Belden 1694a cables for component cables is unwieldy enough, 6 is gonna be monstrous. I'm actually concerned that the torque might rip off a connector somewhere if it gets pushed around...
BTW, did anyone ever figure out what Samsung's crossover frequency is for these players? I searched everywhere, but I couldn't find any reference to an actual number. I hate it when manufacturers don't list such basic information in the manual.

-- Dave

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I need a new player and was eyeing up the 850. Has anyone done the remote hack? If so, was the PQ much improved? I've got an older model Panny projector (200u) and it only has component connections.

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
Yes, the remote hack (to upscale via component video) does work. As for picture improvement, yes there is an improvement. Just don't expect to be blown away (this goes for any upscaling dvd player). The region free hack also works, but cannot be done with the original supplied remote.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Has anyone compared the Samsung 850 upconversion over component to the Zenith DVB318 upconversion over component? I currently have the Zenith (LG version) and might wanna upgrade to the Sammy if it is in fact an upgrade.

Thanks

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
the zenith does have a sharper picture. the samsungs tend to have a softer picture. even the tv's have a softer image than other tv's out there.

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
I have a NeuNeo HDV2085, upconverting via component, which I use on a Panasonic AE300 LCD projector. The picture quality is excellent, improves significant over the Pioneer 656 I had before, especially for NTSC discs. I use the 576progressive output for PAL discs and upconvert to 1080i for NTSC, which improves NTSC picture quality for my eyes to PAL level.

my guess: The Panasonic projector has 540 horizontal lines which makes it ideal for PAL, since no scaling is needed, only a bit overscan is used to get rid of the few surplus lines. This may be the reason that 576progressive gives a better picture for PAL sources. For NTSC (480 lines) on the other hand, the projector has to scale. Providing a 1080i signal makes this easier for the projector, it just drops every second line.

The Neuneo costs $250, see www.neodigits.com. As a bonus it plays some Chines HDTV Discs. I ordered one and will report about the quality

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
How about the Panasonic S77 upscaling player or the Sony (can't remember the model number, but it's the one and only upscaling DVD player from them)

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit

Is it true that the 480i on the DVD player is doubled to 480p before being scaled to 720p/1080i? Doesn't make sense to me.

Second, my Sony CRT-RPTV is (supposedly) 960p native. Will it better if I choose 720p input or 1080i input?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think you mean 960i, which is pretty much the same as 480p. I'd suspect 1080i may provide a slight improvement. These improvements are more eaisly seen the larger display you have though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks