What's new

Upscaling/HDef DVD Player merged thread (1 Viewer)

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
Just a quick update. To owners of the Sammy HD850 and Hometheater Master Remotes. I have the all region hack programmed to my Hometheater Master 500. If you would like the file shoot me an email and I'd be happy to share. :D

scottBro

Auditioning
Has anyone successfully done the component upconvert remote hack on their 941? Does it fully upconvert to 1080i? How close is it to the HDMI upconvert signal? Does the remote hack disable the HDMI upconvert? Any other tips, recommendations, comments or concerns is appreciated.

TIA

scottBro

Auditioning
I tried the component 1080i remote hack last night and it did not work on my 941. I think I have one of the newer / latest versions of the 941. Any tips or recommendations?

Scott_D_S

Auditioning
Hi everyone: I am new to Home Theater, generally, but I do read a lot on electronics. I am brand spankin' new to the forum and read through all of the posts below and wanted to know if you all could give me some suggestions:

I am going to be purchasing the Sony R60XBR1 in the very near future. At the same time, I need to upgrade my DVD player. I am thinking (now) of getting the OPPO DVD player - but should I rather get a DVD player than can run HDMI to HDMI? The Sony has 2 HDMI inputs. Does it matter?

Also, I will be running things through my Marantz 780 receiver - although I am not sure if that is a good idea. Please give me any suggestions.

Thanks!

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum Scott,

First, let me commend you for an excellent choice in displays. I have recently been demoing this same model and have been nothing short of impressed. I should point out though, this, like the vast majority of 1920x1080 displays, dos not accept a 1080p input. Instead, you'll have to feed it a 1080i signal, and then it will deinterlace it and display it progressively. From my experience, I seriously doubt you will be able to tell the difference between that, and how it might have looked if you bypassed the deinterlacing and was able to feed it a 1080p signal.

I started a new thread to address this often misunderstood and misleading aspect of 1920x1080 displays, as well as address the complications that may arise for those buying equipment with HDMI input/outputs:

WARNING: Before you rush out and buy any device w/HDMI you might want to read this.

Of course with the Oppo, it only upscales to 1080i so this wont even be an issue for your set. However, should you ever get an upscaling DVD player that can output a 1080p signal, or one of the new HD video formats, then you’ll need to be sure to set your player(s) to output only a 1080i signal.

As for your question:DVI and HDMI are very similar, with the exception of the audio obviously. HDMI cable is typically much more expensive, with many B&M stores selling it for over $40 a meter, but if you shop around on the net you can find it for about $5 a meter. The same goes for DVI-HDMI adapters, your better off shopping online.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Not necessarily. In fact, currently Toshiba's HD DVD format may initially only release titles in 1080i.

Regardless, many of today's interpolators and deinterlacers are so well designed that most of the time you won’t likely be able to distinguish between a 1080i and 1080p signal.

As always... YMMV. :)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
While I am visiting this thread, and on the subject of Toshiba...

Anyone here had any experience or have opinions about Toshiba's current slate of 720p/1080i upscaling players:The specs and prices appear impressive. HDMI, DivX, SACD, WMA, MP3, HD JPEG, JPEG Viewer, Card Slot, etc.

I saw the 4980 model at Costco for about $60, but I am always hesitant when it comes to Toshiba and DVD players...

John_F

Stunt Coordinator
I thought that the vast of majority of currently available 1080i deinterlacers are NOT well designed, i.e. no 3:2 pulldown for film based material.

-John

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Is 3:2 pulldown done on digital connections too? I thought it was to compensate the different frame rates between the film and NTSC. The digital MPEG stream, AFAIK, do not have frame rate.

Scott_D_S

Auditioning
There is a review of the Toshiba 6980 at Home Theater Magazine's website. I would post the link if I could, but since I'm a newbie - I am barred.

Scott_D_S

Auditioning
Me again:

I hate to sound like such a newbie (but I am one) - but here goes:

Hypo: I get my new Sony R60XBR1 - which comes with two HDMI ports....I also get my new DVD player (as discussed above) - which has an HDMI connection. Therefore, hypothetically, I can connect my DVD player right up to the TV. But, here is my question: Why would I want digital audio to go to the TV???? Wouldn't it be better to have the digital audio go to the Receiver? I have an older Marantz receiver which has one digital audio input connection. I don't get how the whole set up goes from the DVD to the TV to the Receiver? Doesn't it sound backwards to have digital audio input into the TV, and then another digital audio output to the receiver?

With the OPPO, at least, I guess I can use the OPPO DVI to HDMI connector for the DVD-TV connection and use the digital output on the Oppo to connect to the receiver?

Am I missing something? Thanks again for dealing.....I do appreciate it.

Scott_D_S

Auditioning
Me again:

I hate to sound like such a newbie (but I am one) - but here goes:

Hypo: I get my new Sony R60XBR1 - which comes with two HDMI ports....I also get my new DVD player (as discussed above) - which has an HDMI connection. Therefore, hypothetically, I can connect my DVD player right up to the TV. But, here is my question: Why would I want digital audio to go to the TV???? Wouldn't it be better to have the digital audio go to the Receiver? I have an older Marantz receiver which has one digital audio connection. I don't get how the whole set up goes from the DVD to the TV to the Receiver? Doesn't it sound backwards to have digital audio input into the TV, and then another digital audio output to the receiver?

With the OPPO, at least, I guess I can use the OPPO DVI to HDMI connector for the DVD-TV connection and use the digital output on the Oppo to connect to the receiver?

Am I missing something? Thanks again for dealing.....I do appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks