What's new

Upgrading....Need Advice (1 Viewer)

KDRDoc

Grip
Real Name
Brian
Thanks - we will likely upgrade the 34" 16x9 TUBE we have as well

Thanks for the thoughts on the networking....

Edited by KDRDoc - 7/30/2009 at 12:28 pm GMT

KDRDoc

Grip
Real Name
Brian
- Got a potential deal for the 906 for 1250...is that good?

Also, convinced the wife to also upgrade the TV - thinking the G10 Panny....and a decent Blue Ray...

Got an odd comment that shot up my BS radar - I was told that I will be better off keeping the Blue Ray & HDTV the same brand....oh and that LCDs are better for 1080/24.

I don't want an argument over LCD/Plasma - but just a sanity check

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by KDRDoc

Got an odd comment that shot up my BS radar - I was told that I will be better off keeping the Blue Ray & HDTV the same brand....oh and that LCDs are better for 1080/24.
Not totally BS, just mostly. Some manufacturers have proprietary systems that link components across their model line, so a Sony TV may turn on a Sony BD player when you switch to the BD players input on the TV. That kind of stuff. I personally say the heck with it, just buy a Harmony remote!

KDRDoc

Grip
Real Name
Brian
He was referring to using a Sony BD with a Sony HDTV indicating it was the only way to ensure proper playback...

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by KDRDoc ">[/url]

He was referring to using a Sony BD with a Sony HDTV indicating it was the only way to ensure proper playback...[/QUOTE]What he was indicating is he's an idiot, or he's a salesman misleading the customer into an up-purchase to a higher margin item. Probably told you Monster Cables will give a much better HDMI picture right after that.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Anything you hear from an electronics salesman should be assigned only 50% probability of actually being true .

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by KDRDoc

He was referring to using a Sony BD with a Sony HDTV indicating it was the only way to ensure proper playback...
That's just simple minded salesmanship. I suspect something like a bundling incentive, where he gets a spiff, probably from Sony, if he sells a TV and player together. Either that or just hoping he will snow you into buying more stuff from him, rather than looking around for a player.

Personally, probably the only BR player I would buy is the Oppo.

KDRDoc

Grip
Real Name
Brian
I ended up going with the Onkyo 876 & a Panny BD-80

Thinking of going with the Panasonic TC-P50G10 - any thoughts?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Check out the "Display Devices" section of this forum. There's a thread going on there with some great info on DLP tvs. If you have the room (don't require flat panel), you can get a much bigger TV for less money that has a very nice picture.

Yokiebear

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Hi KDR Doc,

How much did you get your Onkyo 876 for and where?

I have a total budget of $1800 for speakers and receiver but I might convice the wife to increase the amount.

Regarding Onkyo receiver features: I know that David recommended the Audyssey feature but what were the other requirements that sold you on the system.

I remember some mentioning to look for a receiver with high output wattage for clearer, crisper sound - 100W or more - is that more BS talk?

Thanks

Joe

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Yokiebear

I remember some mentioning to look for a receiver with high output wattage for clearer, crisper sound - 100W or more - is that more BS talk?
Depending on the room and your speakers, yes it is more BS. Unless you are running very inefficient speakers (< 85dB), the power ratings of your average receiver should be more than capable of reaching reference level in modest sized rooms. Most of the time, it is the sub that limits your output, not the receiver (takes a lot more "uhmph" to move sub frequencies). The fact is, most receiver wattage ratings are useless, because it's an easy number for manufacturers to fudge by measuring at limited frequencies, measuring only one channel driven instead of all, measuring peak instead of constant power, etc. Unless you have unusual speaker or room size needs; the best way to choose a receiver is to consider budget, consider features, consider brand name, and then consider power needed.

KDRDoc

Grip
Real Name
Brian
Joe,

This was an upgrade of a nice, but dated HT. We moved and we had a new space that we could dedicate - what prompted all of the upgrading was my wife. She wanted smaller speakers - so we started looking at B&W.....the rest is the oooh.

We had been talking for a few years about replacing the existing Onkyo as it was from 1994-5 and lacked newer surround modes (BD).

I picked the Onkyo over the Pioneer:
- Couldn't find the older versions around for the Pioneer and I hate being the new version decoder / debugger
- Got a great deal - do your homework and be aggressive with the folks on the phone. I had to make a few calls to get them down to the price I wanted to beat. Needless to say I ended up getting a package price on the two items i wanted with free shipping.
- Personal preference - seems to be the biggest reason we choose what we want..

Yokiebear

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Hi

I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments and let you know that I eventually got:

Panasonic TC-P54V10
Denon 890 Receiver
Polk Audio RM85 Surround Speakers
Polk Audio 505 Subwoofer

The equipment will be going in my 9 foot wide by 15 foot long room. The TV will be on one end mounted on the wall above a wall length cabinet. All 7 speakers will be mounted on the wall at ear height.

Question: Can I put the subwoofer inside the cabinet?

Thanks

Joe

Yokiebear

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Hi Jeff,

I have a sub out on my receiver that uses and RCA connection. Can I just use a normal RCA to connect the two together or do I have to get a RCA cable with a heavier gauge? It's about an 8 foot cable run.

Joe

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Any RCA cable will be fine. I use a 25 ft. that I bought at Radio Shack for $8. It's a line level signal, which means there's no amplification, so gauge doesn't matter much at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks