What's new

Upgrading....Need Advice (1 Viewer)

KDRDoc

Grip
Real Name
Brian
Hi all,

I am moving into a new home and the prior owners had a Bose system - they left us the outdoor Bose speakers and hanging wires from the interior speakers, and a Bose amp.

My wife is tired of the large-ish speakers of our current system - a circa 1994 Onkyo THX system (5.1) and is pushing for a replacement.

We visited the local Bose store to find out about the amp and speakers - salesperson was pushing the V30. My wife liked the smaller speakers...

Need some help coming up with a system - I am thinking of finally replacing the receiver & speakers / sub
Budget is ~$3k, close to the cost quoted by the Bose person.

Thanks for the advice in advance....

-Doc

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Brian,

Forget Bose. Too expensive and under performs. Check out offerings from HSU, SVS and Axiom (http://www.axiomaudio.com/epic-accent-400.html). For the receiver, look at getting something like the Onkyo 607.

Be aware that very small setups like these will not produce the best sound. Bose sounds good in demos because they completely control the environment in their demos (room, material, etc). Once you get them in your house, the sound suffers. If you could compromise with bigger bookshelf speakers you will get the best of both worlds. Check these out:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm
http://www.axiomaudio.com/epicgrandmaster_main.html

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The one and only situation where Bose is acceptable, if grossly overpriced, is with background music, so having Bose outside is actually OK. Otherwise, for more attentive listening and movie watching, go elsewhere.

KDRDoc

Grip
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for the advice and reading materials - I had challenged the salesperson about the ability of the small cube speakers to generate sound properly and for the system to provide good response - she said "well, Dr. Bose is a genius!" (I gave up trying to get more info at that point)

Can I drive the outdoor Bose speakers without harming my old (or hopefully new) reciever?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
A few more possibilities if the wife is really insistent on smaller size speakers:

Boston Acoustics CS2310
Hsu Research Performance 2
Klipsch HDT-1000 or HDT-500
Energy Take Classic

These are all slightly bigger than the Bose (search MFG web sites to get exact dimensions), but smaller than the large bookshelves David linked to.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've heard all but the Klipsch speakers Stephen mentioned and they would all be an improvement over the Bose. The Boston CS2310 is currently available from TheNerds.com for $450 shipped. Or you can get 4 of the CS23 small bookshelves, a CS225 center for $216 shipped and then get an SVS/SHU sub. But you better decide quickly because the stock is dwindling. Also, no returns. You buy them, you keep them. But those CS23's put out a pretty full sound for their size. My brother is using them for surrounds.,

KDRDoc

Grip
Real Name
Brian
Convinced the wife to go with me to a local audio store - we listened to several small satellites (similar to the Bose) and kept moving up due to sound quality we ended up really liking B&W 685?

Got a price for 2 B&W 685, 2 B&W 686 and B&W HTM61 and a sub from Velodyne DEQ10 - for $2000

Wife was OK with their size....

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Awesome! B&W are among my favorite speakers.

For about the same price as the Velodyne you can get an SVS PB12 - http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb12nsd.cfm. Also, don't be afraid to deal with the sales person. I was able to get a deal on B&W for over 20% off the list price.

KDRDoc

Grip
Real Name
Brian
OK - so what about receivers?

I've had Onkyo's in the past (including my current THX 5.1 system from the 90's)

What would you all reccomend?

The audio store reccomendded the Pioneer Elite SC-25?....Denon?

Cost is open - say $1500 ish

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Onkyo 876 or above. Pioneers are well respected and excellent quality, but I really like the Audyssey EQ that comes with Onkyo and Denon.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I concur with David. I've owned both Onkyo and Denon, and would recommend the Onkyo 876 or the Denon 3808CI for your budget.

KDRDoc

Grip
Real Name
Brian
So what would be a better choice the Onkyo 876 or the Pioneer SC-27/25 with the B&W's?

I really liked the THX on my old HT so I'd like to keep that...will the B&W's be OK with a THX receiver?

I've seen some threads with video issues on some Onkyo models....

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Brian,

There are issues with every receiver. Not sure what video issue threads you seen, but I know there are many happy Onkyo owners (including me).

Again, IMHO, the Audyssey in the Onkyo wins hands down.

KDRDoc

Grip
Real Name
Brian
Ok - I've decided to go with the TX-NR906 from Onkyo.

Not sure if I got a good deal or not....less than 1400...

From an authorized dealer...

werty7777

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martin
Unsure why you want the 906 versus the 876. I just got my 876 a month ago for 900 bucks. Are you going to use the networking? For me with all things considered the only major difference was networking and imho the extra cost wasn't worth it. You looked at the 876?

KDRDoc

Grip
Real Name
Brian
Mainly for the networking - I don't upgrade frequently (last audio purchase was early90's) want to be able to use with my server.

Unless you guys know a better way?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I'd rather go for a Logitech Squeezebox Duet or Roku soundbridge than networking in a receiver. I think the UI on dedicated devices is usually better, easier to upgrade later if necessary, & manufacturers add stuff more often.

I'm not even sure it's worth it for the 876 vs. cheaper 706 for the top notch video processing. Depends what TV you have I suppose, and if you will upgrade it anytime soon. I'd personally prefer sinking the money into a better TV to begin with (or reserve for future upgrade), with good built-in video processing, obviating the need for processing in the AV receiver.

werty7777

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martin
I would have to say that the best purchase I have made for my system is the 876. I had a 5200ES and I know how people feel about Sony, but with that said the better video processor was worth every penny I spent. Reon versus Faroudja? Reon has my money HANDS DOWN! So the price and features for the 876 versus the 706? 876 for me 10 out of 10 times. I have a 73" DLP so video is key but audio is always a must.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks