What's new

Making do with what I have. (1 Viewer)

gstuartw

Auditioning
Real Name
Stuart
Hello,

I'm new tot his forum and have come for some advice. As in all things tech the pace continues on with advancements that I frankly am too tired to keep up with. I'm hoping to get some advice on making do with what I have and ideally minimize any further investment.

My wife and I are downsizing and moving to Mexico. One of the things we look forward to is spending a good deal of our time outdoors at our house on our rooftop patio. The mild nights will make great opportunity to put the screen up and watch a movie after dinner.

Here is what I have to work with:

Optoma HD66 projector that has Composite: RCA, HDMI, RS232: DB-9pin, S-Video, VGA In: Dsub-15pin connections
MacBook AIR M2 with USB-C, Hyperdrive HDMI adaptor
Apple TV
SONOS including Amp, S1 speakers, Playbar, Beam

While the quality available is years behind Is there a way to cobble together these devices?

Thanks,

Stuart

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would just get a 4K compatible hdmi switch, plug your MacBook and AppleTV into it, then run the output from it to the Sonos, which I'm guessing has an hdmi input and output, then hdmi out to the projector. If your AppleTV isn't a 4K model, I'd suggest upgrading to one which is, but that's not necessary. Even though the projector isn't 4K, those models of AppleTV are a BIG improvement over the previous ones.

gstuartw

Auditioning
Real Name
Stuart
I would just get a 4K compatible hdmi switch, plug your MacBook and AppleTV into it, then run the output from it to the Sonos, which I'm guessing has an hdmi input and output, then hdmi out to the projector. If your AppleTV isn't a 4K model, I'd suggest upgrading to one which is, but that's not necessary. Even though the projector isn't 4K, those models of AppleTV are a BIG improvement over the previous ones.
As I understand there's a hitch in this, my SONOS devices do not have HDMI other than my AMP which would allow me to send the audio to my SONOS speakers. None of the devices in the mix, Apple TV 4K, MacBook Air and Optoma have more than one HDMI connection.

Seems one option would be to plug the MacBook and AppleTV into a switch as you suggest and then the output on the switch to the projector. I could then switch between the two sources for video. For audio I could then use the 3.5mm mini jack output on the projector to run to my AMP and send the audio to my SONOS speakers that way? Not ideal and certainly not audiophile sound quality but then I'm on a rooftop with ambient noise anyway.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
I got tubi.roku channel uncle earl's classic tv channel,etc.there's a brand new channel such as cineverse,mybundle tv's.and i also watch freeform.com.and gsn.com.and watchtcm and plex,are also free and pluto.tv is also free.i watch it regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks