1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Truth or Consequences on DVD?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mike Frezon, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I have been meaning to ask this question for years. I guess today is the day.

Bob Barker is one of my heroes in broadcasting (Johnny Carson is the other).

I have such great memories of his polished hosting skills during the old program Truth or Consequences--and I think of the program so often--that I hae wondered if any episodes have ever been released onto disc? Or, if anyone knows who would have ownership of the rights? Or, if any of the programs still exist on tape/film anywhere?

In other words, what do we know, if anything?

IMDB tells me Barker hosted the show from 1956 to 1974. Ralph Edwards and Jerry Bailey had hosted for some years before that.

Barker was so skilled in interacting with people that it would be a shame if these shows were lost forever. Among my memories were the number of times the show reunited military personnel with their families. So many great moments. I even vividly remember the rather primitive opening graphics/sfx that were used:

[​IMG]

Here's one of the few clips of the show (one entire episode) currently on YouTube:

2. Sky Captain

Sky Captain Well-Known Member

Unfortunately (for you) games shows aren't usually put on DVD.

3. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Well-Known Member

Robert
    Yeah.
    Although IIRC, BCI was fairly successful with the box sets they released in 2007-2008. Unfortunately, BCI wasn't very successful, and the company went out of business before (IIRC) their planned Tattletales and Match Game volume 2 sets could be released.
    What I'd like to see would be Fremantle or Sony making their game show libraries available for streaming, as has been rumored for old soap operas. There's no way DVD releases will happen, but streaming would get the content out there and get the companies some money they wouldn't otherwise be making.

4. vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001 Well-Known Member

Is it true that BCI pursuing game shows was the main reason they went out of business?

5. Sky Captain

Sky Captain Well-Known Member

BCI/Eclipse went out of business for other reasons:
    Navarre shuts down BCI Eclipse

6. The Obsolete Man

Robert
    Is that the same Cliff MacMillan that wound up with Shout?
    ...as did a lot of the same content BCI was releasing?

7. RickER

RickER Well-Known Member

Rick
    I would watch that show when i was a wee boy. I remember that i missed it when it was gone.
    Funny, i was wondering what the first guy was thinking, thanks for 2 pair of....pants, and calling me fat. SWEET! Not.
    But how can you not love Bob Barker.

8. vnisanian2001

I can, after he vowed never to allow any TPIR episode again that featured the following:
    1) Fur coats
    2) Holly Hallstrom
    3) Rod Roddy
    He is nothing but an rude, racist, and arrogant jerk. He is devoid of a heart and a soul. And unlike most people, I am actually glad he is no longer on TPIR.
    This, in a nutshell, is the real Bob Barker.

9. Jack P

Jack P Well-Known Member

Barker's obsession with being an anti-fur crusader also meant that GSN couldn't air the episodes hosted by Dennis James.
    Everyone agrees that once his wife died in 1981 he turned into a power-hungry maniac (as well as a dirty old man behind the scenes).

10. vnisanian2001

And I get the feeling he may have had a life-long grudge against Dennis James. I mean, have you ever seen them share a dressing room, talk to each other, have a good relationship with each other, that sort of thing?
    No.

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Right. Very helpful. Except that a number of them have made their way onto discs of various stripes. The Price is Right, Jeopardy, Password, Match Game, etc. are a few that have come to mind (mostly by the above mentioned Navarre).

ToC would certainly fall into a special niche of game show seeing as how it wasn't very much of a real competition for prizes.

I guess what I was wondering is if any of the old episodes of the show had already been released on some of those cheapo TV compilations with stuff that is supposedly in the public domain?

Or, if anyone knows who owns the show or if the shows even still exist anywhere?

12. The Obsolete Man

Robert
    Well, Wiki tells me that it was produced by Ralph Edwards, in association with Metromedia. Metromedia became Fox (to use the simple explanation).
    So, that would possibly mean that either the heirs of Ralph Edwards, or Fox, owns the show.
    The show was videotaped, and the last decade or so was syndication only. Couldn't find anything about whether the tapes had been wiped or not, which is a good possibility for anything from before 1970.

13. Jack P

Jack P Well-Known Member

Ralph Edwards Productions would still control everything. However, their shows were never licenesed by GSN so the matter of how much of those old shows still exist is an open question.
    One Edwards production you'll never in a million years see on DVD or in repeats for that matter, is the Tom Kennedy hosted version of "Name That Tune" from the 70s (and which had Kathie Lee Gifford, then Johnson, as the vocalist). If you think music licensing is bad for a regular TV show, just imagine what it would be for that!

14. vnisanian2001

I remember Neil Brock pointing out that Barker has requested not to allow TOC to be rerun ever again.