What's new

The Best Disc Commentary? (1 Viewer)

John_Simpson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John C Simpson
Thanks. I've no clue about that show.
If you're into caper films it's a terrific series.

leverage 1.jpeg

John_Simpson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John C Simpson
Oh no, I don't even know what caper films are. That sounds like some slang for action films. I think I've vaguely heard the title before. Is it something that's confined to cable or internet type services (netflix)? How many seasons have they shot thus far?
No, a caper film is like Rififi in 1955 or Topkapi in 1964. It's not slang it's a label. I call action films action films. Actually, the heist film or caper film is a subgenre of crime film, consisting of films that focus on the planning, execution and aftermath of a large robbery.

Think of Leverage as like an Impossible Mission Force for hire (but the original TV series NOT the movies).

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
No, a caper film is like Rififi in 1955 or Topkapi in 1964. It's not slang it's a label. I call action films action films. Actually, the heist film or caper film is a subgenre of crime film, consisting of films that focus on the planning, execution and aftermath of a large robbery.

Think of Leverage as like an Impossible Mission Force for hire (but the original TV series NOT the movies).
Wow, no wonder I never heard of it. I barely have film noir down. Actually, I can't think of any for the time being, but I do like quite a few things I've seen where you see not only what the good guys are doing, but the bad guys as well. I think that movie "The Longest Day" is a good example of that. It's always nice to see how both sides are thinking somewhat.

John_Simpson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John C Simpson
Wow, no wonder I never heard of it. I barely have film noir down. Actually, I can't think of any for the time being, but I do like quite a few things I've seen where you see not only what the good guys are doing, but the bad guys as well. I think that movie "The Longest Day" is a good example of that. It's always nice to see how both sides are thinking somewhat.
Think more along the lines of The Sting with Newman and Redford.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Think more along the lines of The Sting with Newman and Redford.
Totally understood now. Having seen that movie, for seeing strategies of both sides, that movie struck me as seeing a lot more of what the sting guys were doing, but compared to the Longest Day, not that they're in the same genre, the sides were a lot more blurred, since what we might call the good guys in Sting, basically were just more good-hearted crooks.

I now see the sub-title if you want to call it that (even though it's above the series name) which makes it pretty plain what the series is about. The only question is what the target of getting even is, either really good guys, or bad.

John_Simpson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John C Simpson
Totally understood now. Having seen that movie, for seeing strategies of both sides, that movie struck me as seeing a lot more of what the sting guys were doing, but compared to the Longest Day, not that they're in the same genre, the sides were a lot more blurred, since what we might call the good guys in Sting, basically were just more good-hearted crooks.

I now see the sub-title if you want to call it that (even though it's above the series name) which makes it pretty plain what the series is about. The only question is what the target of getting even is, either really good guys, or bad.
Really, really, bad guys exclusively.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I enjoy the commentaries on shows like TWILIGHT ZONE and OUTER LIMITS. On some of those well-worn episodes, the commentaries add something new to the experience.

For movie commentaries, I still maintain the best I've heard belong to:

- Roger Ebert, CITIZEN CANE and CASABLANCA
- Howard Suber, on the Criterion Laserdisc of HIGH NOON.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
I enjoy the commentaries on shows like TWILIGHT ZONE and OUTER LIMITS. On some of those well-worn episodes, the commentaries add something new to the experience.

For movie commentaries, I still maintain the best I've heard belong to:

- Roger Ebert, CITIZEN CANE and CASABLANCA
- Howard Suber, on the Criterion Laserdisc of HIGH NOON.
Thanks for the contribution. Odd thing for me though, I know I'm a pretty poor movie buff, as I've always favored tv over it, but I cannot pinpoint a single movie I had that had commentary. I'm thinking quite a few have it, but as I have such minimal respect for movies by comparison, it must be there in several movies, and it just didn't strike me as anything noteworthy because movies are so, one and done with me. Of course, I have neither title you mentioned either.

Actually, come to think of it, I think I heard a Woody Allen commentary on Sleeper which was very good, but I'm probably just imagining things. I don't have that disc anymore. I may be saying that more out of just what I got so commonly off so many things I heard Woody say, that he just has me laughing (I smashed my chin down on some guy's fist🤣) so much I just assume his commentary is just as funny. I do recall he did commentary on one movie at the beginning of it of that Japanese flick he had where they dubbed over all the words. That was one funny ass movie. It was called something like "What's Up Tiger Lilly".

John_Simpson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John C Simpson
Thanks for the contribution. Odd thing for me though, I know I'm a pretty poor movie buff, as I've always favored tv over it, but I cannot pinpoint a single movie I had that had commentary. I'm thinking quite a few have it, but as I have such minimal respect for movies by comparison, it must be there in several movies, and it just didn't strike me as anything noteworthy because movies are so, one and done with me. Of course, I have neither title you mentioned either.

Actually, come to think of it, I think I heard a Woody Allen commentary on Sleeper which was very good, but I'm probably just imagining things. I don't have that disc anymore. I may be saying that more out of just what I got so commonly off so many things I heard Woody say, that he just has me laughing (I smashed my chin down on some guy's fist🤣) so much I just assume his commentary is just as funny. I do recall he did commentary on one movie at the beginning of it of that Japanese flick he had where they dubbed over all the words. That was one funny ass movie. It was called something like "What's Up Tiger Lilly".
Yup, What's Up Tiger Lily?
what's up tiger lily.jpg

Without running downstairs to check my copy I don't believe it had a commentary. Woody Allen's introduction really doesn't count as 'commentary' because it was edited into the film itself. Like I said, it was an intro and not an optional audio track. On a side note, I wish that I could see the original Japanese movie (with English dub), International Secret Police - Key of Keys

Attachments

• International Secret Police - Key of Keys.jpg
    International Secret Police - Key of Keys.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 64

John_Simpson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John C Simpson
Is it something that's confined to cable or internet type services (netflix)? How many seasons have they shot thus far?
I neglected to answer your other question. Leverage aired on TNT from December 7, 2008, to December 25, 2012 for five seasons.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Yup, What's Up Tiger Lily?
View attachment 120332

Without running downstairs to check my copy I don't believe it had a commentary. Woody Allen's introduction really doesn't count as 'commentary' because it was edited into the film itself. Like I said, it was an intro and not an optional audio track. On a side note, I wish that I could see the original Japanese movie (with English dub), International Secret Police - Key of Keys
Yes, I would have to agree that wasn't commentary as we know it, since he's more or less introducing it, but a lot of commentary sounds rather closely to what he was saying, where they talk some, as he did, about what their inspiration was for making the film and such. Seems I recall he also had a comment in the middle of the movie, when asked to explain what was going on. If they kept doing that more frequently, it does start shading a bit more towards commentary, but being offered to explain something, and then refusing, kind of kills that.

I'm curious if Tiger Lilly was the very first movie to ever be given sort of the MS3TK treatment (call it parody?)? By that I mean they're totally making fun of the movie. Basically, it was what I was doing with my Nyoka and Wild, Wild West episode reviews, turning it loosely into something it isn't. Of course, Russ does that somewhat with his reviews.

Last edited:

John_Simpson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John C Simpson
Yes, I would have to agree that wasn't commentary as we know it, since he's more or less introducing it, but a lot of commentary sounds rather closely to what he was saying, where they talk some, as he did, about what their inspiration was for making the film and such. Seems I recall he also had a comment in the middle of the movie, when asked to explain what was going on. If they kept doing that more frequently, it does start shading a bit more towards commentary, but being offered to explain something, and then refusing, kind of kills that.

I'm curious if Tiger Lilly was the very first movie to ever be given sort of the MS3TK treatment (call it parody?)? By that I mean they're totally making fun of the movie. Basically, it was what I was doing with my Nyoka and Wild, Wild West episode reviews, turning it loosely into something it isn't. Of course, Russ does that somewhat with his reviews.
If it's a part of the movie it's not commentary. I don't want to go down the philosophical rabbit hole of a character in a movie commenting about the movie inside the movie. Breaking the Fourth Wall isn't "commentary". Commentary has to come from outside whatever is being commented on.

Last edited:

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
I would say the best commentary I ever heard is by John Sturges for Bad Day at Black Rock on the laserdisc for that film. He literally breaks down how to make and shoot a movie in a hr and a half.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
I would say the best commentary I ever heard is by John Sturges for Bad Day at Black Rock on the laserdisc for that film. He literally breaks down how to make and shoot a movie in a hr and a half.
Thanks. Wow, pretty impressive, but I think I often find the directors and producers on average make the most sleep- inducing commentary. I don't know if what you describe, would hit me that way or not, but "IF" it's pertinent to only that film, and not 90% focused on some other film, it might just keep me awake. I think often the best team you can have is the main actor and the director.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Thanks. Wow, pretty impressive, but I think I often find the directors and producers on average make the most sleep- inducing commentary. I don't know if what you describe, would hit me that way or not, but "IF" it's pertinent to only that film, and not 90% focused on some other film, it might just keep me awake. I think often the best team you can have is the main actor and the director.
He mentions a handful of other films but he uses sequences in them as a example mainly for lenses and camera setups. Sturges cut his teeth in the film editing rooms so he truly knew how to put a picture together. Sturges also is a very matter of fact guy. He doesn't get caught up on the fluff. I think you will enjoy it. Some of it is on YouTube

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks