What's new

Titanic SE See Post #541 for Update (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
What about the rumored Director's Cut??

I wouldn't buy a special edition that was just the original theatrical cut. Usually it seems, IMHO, that Cameron's expanded cuts have always been (for the most part) better.

A two or three disc D.C. with DTS... now I'd go for that.

Dan

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Well if he puts in a load more footage we're almost certain to see it span two discs. In that case those people who only like the last half should be well pleased.:D
Personally I really enjoyed it in the cinema but I doubt that I could ever sit through it again. Also I doubt my TV could do it justice.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I hope Cameron isnt adding more footage to this film. I think it would make a fine movie if he cut out about an hour!

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
This was the first HD-HBO movie I saw, and the clear shots of the boat against the dark starlit sky made it look like a toy. Wishing for an anamorphic version might not be good for this picture.

If you want a better picture, the RP-91 puts in its place, even if you do have to manualy set the flag.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
This was the first HD-HBO movie I saw
I have this on D-VHS, and the original HBO showing (when it wasn't cropped to fit 16:9) looks great ! But the later versions that were cropped didn't look that great.

The ship looking like a toy, well, that's CGI for you. Personally, I'm kinda bored with CGI, and many times it looks rushed. Here's (for me) wishing miniature models and puppets and animatronic items are used once again instead of CG.

- Brian

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
When the Titanic (1997) DVD came out in 1999, it was one of the most anticipated DVD's of all time even though it missed its maximum window of opportunity due to Cameron's delays. Orders poured in beyond anyone's expectation partially due to a HUGE marketing campaign. It was a masterpiece that even Lucas and Spielberg agree upon which quadrupled it's budget cost returns in box-office sales. There were promotional items out the wazoo!
It is now 2002 and all the hype has pretty much diminished. All of those promotional items have all but vanished from shelves and online auctions. The movie has saturated audiences over the years from video sales, rentals, and television broadcasts.
My question is this:
Is there an audience still out there to justify an SE version this late in the game? Does anyone think it falls in the same category as The Wizard of Oz for stamina?
BTW... I am looking forward to an SE version. Just worry that they may pull out before it materializes due to my questions above?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Believe me when I say that you havn't a thing to worry about. The 'Titanic SE' IS GOING to happen. In fact, i'm not sure if you know this, but the Digital Bits has reported that Cameron has once again visited the Titanics wreckage to shoot footage for both an IMAX film he's doing, AND more footage to use on a planned SE of the film.
It's coming, still over a year away, but it's in the bag. And when we get it, i'm all over it!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
A Titanic DVD that is done as well as the other Van Ling Cameron discs (Abyss, T2 etc.) would be one of my fondest DVD wishes

I Love 'Titanic' its really the only of Cameron's films that i REALLY like (i find the rest just OK) and it just doesnt get any better than that when a favorite film gets the SE treatment, its like Christmas

ahhh Titanic SE

*drool*

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I, too, shall be first in line to get the Titanic: SE DVD. I literally cannot WAIT to see Titanic (and Kate Winslet in those..errrr...*special* scenes; heheheh) in all of its/their anamorphically enhanced glory! :D

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
The one Disc I havent bought yet and will not purchase in lieu of waiting for the SE to come.

At least I know this time around it'll be coming

-D

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, whilst I'd buy an SE for a 16:9 transfer, I dont think its accurate to say that orders for the original DVD poured in.

I seem to recall general disappointment with the sales and vast numbers piled up at retailers, as time had moved on.

I think masterpiece is a term that should be used with great caution, and especially in the context of bottom line directors such as Spielberg and Lucas - yes a masterpiece of box office grosses, but an artistic masterpiece - hmm dont think so.

Luis A

Second Unit
While I do enjoy the DTS version of Titanic on LD, an anamorphic/SE/DTS version on DVD would be fantastic.:)
L

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
The good thing is that for the time of the SE release Cameron would be able to shot additional scenes with Kate Winslet without makeup to play her older self! :D

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I am pretty ambivalent about this one right now. There are a couple of themes that have me yawning: Muskateer movies; Camelot; and Titanic. They have become boring to me for the moment.

Perhaps a couple of years not hearing too much about it, not seeing too many Nat Geo specials on the topic will revitalize my interest. A DTS soundtrack and anamorphic enhancement could also do the job.

(I was feeling pretty non-committal about the ST:NG DVD release too, until I saw the screen shots of what they will look like. WOW! Aaargh)

Dan M

Second Unit
Titanic SE

I'm there dude

This should be the dvd that surpasses all.

It's only the biggest movie of all time (so far)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks