What's new

Titanic SE See Post #541 for Update (1 Viewer)

Anders Englund

Second Unit
Jeff, I really dislike Titanic. You just made me want to rewatch it.
--Anders
------------------
http://www.dvd1138.com/
Ob me Deus cavet
Link Removed

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Jeff, very nice post, well said! In addition to the error in the Molly Brown lifeboat scene, their's something else that has bothered me also, the ships rudder. When Murdoch orders the ship "Hard to starboard!" they show the rudder under water turned away from us, to the right, but when the massive propellars start to come out of the water, the rudder is back in it's 'Ahead' position, in other words, straight!?
Maybe Tino can answer this. I guess it's possible that they knew that they left the iceberg far behind and put the wheel back to the ahead positon when the ship came to a stop.
------------------
"How can I heal, when I can't feel time?"
Leonard from Memento

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
John
Full Stop was ordered after the collision so perhaps that is the normal rudder position for full stop.
As I have said many times, Titanic is historically accurate in more ways than is evident. As the ship is sinking, it's practically happening in real time and every action by every real character happened just as you are seeing it on screen. Read the actual transcripts from the Senate Hearings and you will be amazed at how many events that transpired that night at a certain time are accurately depicted on screen in the film. Mr. Cameron was very adamant about this.
Also, Second Officer Lightoller in reality was about 100 yards from the ship when it finally went down, and he stated that "The ship went down intact. I saw it with my own eyes." He was a company man, so perhaps he was trying to protect the White Star line. His testimony later at the hearings are full of contradictions.
I have never had a problem with anyone disliking Titanic. A film this successful always has it's detractors, as any populay film does. However, when it is attacked for being historically inaccurate, I am always compelled to defend it. It may not be 100% accurate, that obviously would be impossible, but it's pretty damn close. :)
**BTW, for all you Titanic fans out there, there is a great book on the subject, The Complete Titanic by Stephen J. Spignesi that has just been discounted down to $5.98 at local bookstores such as Barnes And Noble and Borders. It is a comprehensive collection of facts relating to everything Titanic, from the actual disaster, all the films, the complete short story The Wreck Of The Titan, which eerily predicted the disaster 16 years earlier and much more. By all means if this subject interests you at all, I highly recommend this hardcover book.*
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Ryan_M_M

Stunt Coordinator
At this time, I can't recall the character's name (possibly Murdock??), but when the film opened in Scotland in the town, where the captain is from, the audience watched in horror that their hometown hero was made out a coward. Totally inaccurate, the guy was actually a hero who helped many people.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ryan
The person you are referring to is First Officer Murdoch from Dalbeattie Scotland. The "controversy" you are referring to is his apparent suicide, which many people accused James Cameron of completely fabricating, which is false.
Although we will never know for sure what happened, there are independent statements from witnesses who claim to have seen this happen, so it was NOT "invented" by Cameron. This is documented in the book "James Cameron's Titanic" where Mr. Cameron also praises Mr. Murdoch as a hero, which he was. It's also described in the book I mentioned in my previous post.
And BTW, James Cameron never apologized for this scene, nor did 2oth Century Fox, however Fox did make a $8000 donation to the Dalbeattie High School in Mr. Murdochs home town to "appease the distress caused by the scene".
In regard to Mr. Murdoch accepting a bribe, I attribute this to dramatic license, but remember he later threw the money back in Cal's face. A rich person faced with death on the Titanic may very well have tried to bribe an officer, so that scene too is believable.
What EXACTLY happened on the Titanic will never be known, but perhaps when this SE DVD surfaces, all these controversies will be discussed in the supplements. :)
[Edited last by Tino on September 07, 2001 at 06:50 AM]

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I have never had a problem with anyone disliking Titanic. A film this successful always has it's detractors, as any populay film does. However, when it is attacked for being historically inaccurate, I am always compelled to defend it. It may not be 100% accurate, that obviously would be impossible, but it's pretty damn close.
Amen. People who complain about inaccuracies in this film should get their own facts straight before complaining. Most of the time, they make themselves look like fools as they haven't thoroughly done the research before making such claims, which turn out to be false.
~Edwin
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780.html#8

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Although we will never know for sure what happened,
I think that is the reason for many "it's inaccurate" complaints. Many of the events that night are unclear; Cameron (to my knowledge) took the current best guesses & theories, and used them. For example: the string quartet playing on deck until the ship's tilt was too great. While not known for sure, there are survivor accounts of hearing strains of music coming from the music, even as the ship was tilting.
It's those numerous little details, possibly incorrect but based on research, which I most enjoyed.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I also find it funny that people who chastise Titanic because of its "inacurracies" are only looking for an excuse to hate the film. At times, these are some of the same type of people who enjoyed The Insider and The Patriot even with its gross inaccuracies. Such is the irony.
A DVD with a director's cut would certainly be welcome. I am very much looking forward to a SE DVD of this film.
~Edwin

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Just saw this over at the Bits. I actually like Titanic despite my disdain for ol' Leo. Needless to say, I'll be picking up a copy of this if and when it comes out.

Here's a fascinating rumor that you Titanic fans will love. We've heard an unconfirmed report that director James Cameron has recently been back to the wreck of the ill-fated ship, to take new images and full motion video for use in an upcoming special edition DVD version of the film. We do know that Paramount has plans to produce a new SE, which would feature a new anamorphic widescreen transfer, but it's still more than a year away at least. We'll try to confirm this trip and post an update soon.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Cameron HAS been back at the wreck getting some new footage, but as far as I know, it's all for his new shipwreck IMAX film he's working on, and not for the DVD. Though I'm sure he could use some of it on a DVD if he wanted to, he didnt go back to get footage for one.

Brian

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Did not like the movie, but do have the DVD (got it cheap just to see what the fuzz was about :) ). With JC's track record (Aliens, Abyss, T2), I will be surprised if he is NOT working on a kickass Titanic SE.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I sure hope he (JC) knows how many people want a new anamorphic transfer. I could care less for the extras. I just want it re-released.
Oh, how I could I leave out dts? :D

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Way back when when this first came out, I read that he had shot tons of wreck footage to get what he needed for the movie. I'm sure he already has what he needs for a kicka$$ SE. I can see a documentary a la The Abyss. This would be great.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Given James Cameron's track record of releasing special editions, I fully anticipate a special edition of Titanic.

When was the current, bare-bones version released? 1999? If/when we get a re-release, I'm hoping for a DTS track, but I doubt if it will sound as good as the DTS laserdisc.

I loved this movie. I would have no qualms about buying a special edition.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Lesse how long this thread goes before someone comes in and farts.:D
BTW, I doubt it would include a dts track since as far as I know, Paramount has never included one on any of their DVD's, although this would be the perfect title to rectify that.
In regard to an SE of Titanic,at this point, I think it's safe to assume its only a matter of when and not if.
I expect it to be one of the best SE's
produced.:)

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I'm also awaiting this release with great anticipation, although I know it could very well be years away...
I'm reserving a -WIDE- spot right beside the spot reserved for Pearl Harbor: DC. :)

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
BTW, I doubt it would include a dts track since as far as I know, Paramount has never included one on any of their DVD's, although this would be the perfect title to rectify that.
Remember though that Paramount only holds the North American rights; I believe Fox has it in the rest of the world. That is the only reason to hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks