What's new

Titanic SE See Post #541 for Update (1 Viewer)

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I hope they will release a 3-disc SE ala Pearl Harbor, with DD, DTS, and commentary (w or w/o Cameron). Movie split over 2 discs to ensure optimal quality, and tons of extra features on disc 3.
Since Fox is releasing this overseas, I guess there is a fair change of a DTS track, even on the US release...
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

Gerry A

Agent
By sheer coincidence, I've been reading TITANIC Illustrated Screenplay and James Cameron had an interview there where he mentions his plans for a DVD. I think this interview was done even before the Titanic DVD came out.
"I'm not sure I would do a separate version with additional footage. I might do a laser disc or DVD version with supplements that isolate deleted scenes and longer cuts of scenes for film students and fans."

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
With the exception of Fight Club and Braveheart, this is my favorite movie! I can't believe we got to 21 posts without a "This movie sucks" although I am sure that I just invited it. Cameron recently got involved in a project that will document/film the resting places of the Bismarck and the Titanic. I believe it is intended for IMAX theaters. Hopefully, that will rekindle his interest in this film. Several deleted scenes were shown in the one-hour Fox show used to promote the movie about a month after it came out. Others can be found on the CD-ROM Titanic Explorer (a history of Titanic...the movie and the film - they basically used the scenes with historical significance). Overall, I am sure a humongous vault awaits the producer of this DVD (where's Van Ling...he's in the damn movie!). It is simply a matter of time. I for one can't wait
wink.gif

Chuck

Gunnar Syren

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gunnar Syrén
quote: Where the heck is Piranha II: The Spawning?![/quote]
It's being released 09/17. In region 2...
[Edited last by Gunnar Syren on September 04, 2001 at 03:53 PM]

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I loved Titanic and I hope it comes out in SE form anamorphically enhanced. Possibly with the deleted scenes added back in to the movie. I would like to see DTS sound on this disc and tons of extras, believe me I'd buy this disc in a heartbeat.
-Keith-

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Titanic sucks!! J/K Seriously
Im dying to see the deleted scenes put back into the movie. This is one of my favorite films of all time. Some of the historical tidbits were cut out that are killing me.
Add DTS and I will crap twinkees!!

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
L. Anton Dencklau wrote
I'm almost ashamed to say this but... I haven't seen Titanic. (I'm the only person left.)

No you're not. I haven't seen it and have no desire to see it. I've heard enough about plot holes and inaccuracies to wonder why the movie got made.
But then I remember...it's Hollywood.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Joe
Welcome to the forum..however wouldn't you agree that perhaps you should SEE Titanic before commenting on it?
Sheesh!
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Count me in as a strong admirer of this film (god Kate is beautiful). And I would like to see the deleted scenes incorporated into the movie somehow. I have a book TITANIC: JAMES CAMERON'S ILLUSTRATED SCREENPLAY)that contains the screenplay and there are a couple of interesting scenes that were filmed but cut by the release of the film:
1. a line with Cal explaining that he "pulled every string I could to book us on the grandest ship in history and you act like your going to your execution" which can actually be seen in the trailer for the movie.
2. a scene where Rose explains "It smells so brand new. Like they built it all jst for us. I mean... just to think that tonight, when I carawl between the sheets, I'll be the first" and then Cal stating rather calously "and when I crawl between the sheets tonight, I'll still be the first."
This scene implies that Rose is a virgin and what a slime-ball Cal is. I hope they put this scene back in.
3. A scene with Rose in her bedroom, staring at her refleciton in the mirror and ripping off a pearl necklace and smashing a hand mirror.
This scene would better explain her anguish and let us better understand why she tries to commit suicide.
4. A present day scene between old Rose, Brock Lovett and Lewis Bodine:
Rose: I can still feel it's weight. If you could have felt it, not just seen it...
Lovett: Well, that's the general idea, my dear.
Bodine: So let me get this right. You were gonna kill yourself by jumping off the Titanic? THATS GREAT!
Lovett: (warningly) Lewis
(Rose laughs with Bodine)
Bodine: All you had to do was wait two days!
the scene goes on with Brock ending up with Lizzy, Roses granddaughter and Brock explaining how important it is to him that he find the "heart of the ocean".
Brock: That's the shape my hands gonna be when I hold that thing. You understand? I'm not leaving here without it.
Lizzy: Look Brock, she's going to do this her way, in her own time. Don't forget, she contacted you. She's out here for her own reasons, God knows what they are.
Lovett: maybe she wants to make peace with the past.
Lizzy: what past? She has never once, not once, ever said a word about being on the Titanic until two days ago.
Lovett: Then we're all meeting your grandmother for the first time.
Lizzy: You think she was really there?
Lovett: Oh yeah. Yeah, I'm a believer. She was there.
5. A scene on the promenade deck between Rose and Jack:
Rose: You know my dream has always been to just chuck it all and become an artist... living in a garret, poor but free!
Jack: You wouldn't last two days. There's no hot water, and hardly ever any cavier.
Rose: Listen buster... I hate caviar! and I'm tired of people dismissing my dreams with a chuckle and a pat on the head.
Jack: I'm sorry. Really...I am.
Rose: Well alright. There's something in me, Jack. I feel it. I don't know what it is, wether I should be an artist, or, I don't know... a dancer. Like Isadora Duncan...a wild pagan spirit...(she whirls around like a dervish then spots a man filming a lady with a camera)or a moving picture actress!
The rest of the scene where she jumps into the shot and a montage set to music was never filmed.
6. The next shot was a major ommision that was to take place after Rose and Jack are dancing down in the third class passenger area with all the immigrants but Cameron thought it was a better contrast to go from Rose feeling totally carefree at the party to her suffocating under the oppresion of her probable future during breakfast with Cal.
Here is the scene as shot that takes place after the party.
Jack/Rose: (Singing)Come Josephine in my flying machine and it's up she goes. Up she goes. In the air she goes. Where? There she goes.
Rose: (Looking up at the nighttime sky)
Look! Isn't it magnificent? So grand and endless.
They're such small people Jack... my crowd. They think they're giants on the earth, but they're not even dust in God's eye. They live inside this little tiny champagne bublle...and someday the bubbles gonna burst.
Jack: your not one of them. There's been a mistake.
Rose: A mistake?
Jack: Uh-huh. You got mailed to the wrong address.
Rose: I did didn't I? (pointing) look a shooting star.
Jack: That was a long one. My father used to say that whenever you saw one, it was a soul going to heaven.
Rose: I like that Aren't we supposed to with on it?
Jack: What would you wish for?
Rose: Something I can't have. (she smiles sadly)
Goodnight Jack. And thank you.
Jack: Rose! (but she is gone. Back to her world.
7. My favorite cut scene is so funny and needs to be put bakc in. It involves Molly Brown right at the moment Titanic srikes the iceberg...
Molly: Hey, can you get me some ice here, please?
(silently, a moving wall of ice fills the windows behind her. She doesn't see it. It disappears astern.
I can see why Cameron cut this scene, although it would have been very funny, it would have ruined the tension that is supposed to be building at this point in the movie.
All in all I'd say there is about 20 more minutes of deleted scenes that could be brought back into this movie as a directors cut. I guess it's up to Cameron if he wants them in the movie or not.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I have that book as well, but i'd much rather not have every seen that was shot put back in, just the more tender moments, like the scene when the Strauss's refuse to leave each other on the boat deck, and the scene where Captain Smith uses his megaphone to call the lifeboats back to the ship ending with his sad line "The fools." Also, the scene where Jack slugs Lovejoy in the stomach in the flooding dining room would be nice to see cut in, I hated that guy! The dogs struggling in the freezing ocean shot should also be included, this is not just a human tragety afterall, their were dogs on the ship and I thought it was unfair not to show them, especially once I learned of this scenes exsistence.
Scenes that I would want to remain left out are the one's on the 'Californian', they are absolutly pointless and have nothing to do with the story Cameron was trying to tell. This is the story of Titanic, now, here, at this moment, and we are on it going through the disaster with them, leaving the Titanic to see what's going on on another ship would destroy the reality of the sinking, that's the point of view Cameron wanted.
Theirs a scene in the screenplay that takes place at the end of the film that was not even shot I believe, and for good reason, what was Cameron thinking...
It had old Rose walk out to the fantail of the ship to throw the heart of the ocean overboard, when she's spotted by Brock, Lizzy, and Lewis, who just about ATTACKS her beacause they knew she had it in her hand and was going to toss it overboard! What the hell was that!?!
------------------
"How can I heal, when I can't feel time?"
Leonard from Memento

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Wasn't the rough cut over four hours?
I know that there were a few VERY expensive scenes which were left on the 'cutting room floor'. One of them cost over a million dollars$
I thought it was a great film. I would love to see the entire rough cut, or an extended directors cut as was the case with Cameron's 'Aliens' special edetion LD and DVD release.
At least we know that Cameron is open to the idea of making much longer directors cuts of his films available.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Scenes that I would want to remain left out are the one's on the 'Californian', they are absolutly pointless and have nothing to do with the story Cameron was trying to tell.
I'd like to see them. Honestly, I wouldn't want any of the footage to be inserted into the film, but I would like to view the scenes.
I think the Californian is a vital part of the story of Titanic; it adds an element of fatalism. The fact that there is a ship in sight that could have saved the 1500+ lives, but didn't, is a pretty important factoid about the story. I always found it odd that Cameron found that story thread, of all things, expendable. But, it's his movie, obviously.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Wow, I love this film. It already has a great transfer (as far as I can see on my WEGA 32FV27, anyways). An anamorphic drirector's cut and DTS would be even better, of course!
Oh, and I just love Kate Winslet. I think I had a crush on her after I saw the movie the first few times in the theater. I think I still have a slight crush on her. Maybe I'll write an open letter to her on the forum like NickSo did to...uuuhhh...whatever actress he wrote an open letter to.
blush.gif

As far as plot holes, I couldn't really find any. After I finally got the DVD not too long ago, I analyzed it as I was watching it (as I always do). Still couldn't find any plot holes. Could someone explain them in this thread? Perhaps my mind isn't functioning as it should.
biggrin.gif

------------------
- Brian
My DVD Collection
Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Mitty, I agree that I would like to see the scenes involving the 'Californian' as well, but as I said the approach Cameron wanted to take was he wanted to act as if we were aboard the ship during the sinking right now, as if this instant were 12 a.m. April 15th 1912.
The passengers on Titanic had no idea that another ship was in the area, they had no idea that the ship was going to reach a 45 degree angle, had no idea that it was going to break in two, and had no idea that the stern was going to climb vertically out of the water before it's plunge, and that uncertain fear is exactly the state of mind he wanted US, the audience in. In short, to forget everything we know about the events of that night, and live thier, in the moment.
Brian, just curious but exactly how mant times did you see this wonderful film we love called Titanic? I saw it 5 times. And I think NickSo's main sqeeze is Mena Suvari. :)
------------------
Leonard from Memento
[Edited last by John Williamson on September 05, 2001 at 02:30 AM]

Mitty

Supporting Actor
In short, to forget everything we know about the events of that night, and live thier, in the moment.
Are you sure that's what he wanted? Interesting, but I'm not sure. He did bookend the film with the present, with a full explanation, accompanied by a computer simulation, of exactly how it would go down.
I think he likely made the (undoubtedly difficult) decision to cut it for reasons of pacing and momentum. To keep cutting away from the pandemonium of the sinking may have taken away the tension of the last hour or so. Plus, it would have made it even longer when it was already at a length which was causing executives to squirm and fidget (himself included no doubt).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I couldn't find anything in the screeplay where he says this exactly, However, this was most likly his line of reasoning, I mean the entire time were in 1912 the movie is acting as if it were happening in the very present, so why should the sinking be any different? And yes the movie is bookended with the present, but when we go back to 1912, 1912 becomes the present, and the Titanic the only location. The "happening in the moment" style I mentioned is the very nature of the film for me, it must have been what he was thinking.
------------------
Leonard from Memento

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
In regard to the Californian scenes, Mr. Cameron took them out because he felt that they had already been done well in A Night To Remember and wanted to focus entirely on events that were transpiring on the Titanic. I read that in an interview with him somewhere.
I personally would like to see the deleted scenes only as a supplement and not inserted back into the film, but I predict we will get a combination of the two, with some scenes back in, and some scenes as supplements.
All of this will occur AFTER the theatrical re-release of course.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Didn't Cameron say that he wouldn't do a "director's cut" for Titanic? That the theatrical was his director's cut? Personally, I agree with some of the sentiments here, the ones that want just deleted scenes. Give me a three disc set, nice anamorphic picture, great sound (dts, sure), huge in-depth documentary, all deleted scenes (seperate from movie), text commentary organized by Van Ling (in lieu of Cameron commentary), original artwork/storyboards, trailers, featurette on the actual Titanic, etc. That's all to make me happy :)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Really do love the movie, but seeing some of the deleted scenes listed in this thread made me cringe at the dialog, which was laughable at several points in the finished film.
As for all you Kate fans, you might have a shot now that her and her husband are separating.
wink.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks