What's new

3D Blu-ray Review The Wizard of Oz: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I actually watched it in 3-D at an IMAX theater last year. I was very impressed and I have this 3-D BD.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Ron that's a spooky gif of you.

Rob, I'm jealous. Now that I've seen the 3D Bluray I would love to see this on a IMAX screen!

Titanic and Life of Pi 3D Blurays are up next. :cool:

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Lou Sytsma said:
Just picked this up and I whole heartedly agree with you Ron.

This was a revelation and a blast to watch in 3D!! The 3D adds to the dreamlike quality of the story and enhances it's production design.
Also, for all the whiners' complaints about 3D conversions, most of the current 3D converted movies we've been getting have been converted CGI effects against flat actors.
Here, the only thing to convert is actors standing around on real 1939 MGM soundstages, so there's more of a real, solid sense of depth to play with about where the actors are in space--Even the trailer plays up that when Oz tells Dorothy to "step forward!", she does. :3dglasses:

Reactions: cb1

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes, I was really impressed.
I saw this at a Melbourne repertory cinema (ACMI in Federation Square) and was really impressed by how well it was done.
Mind you, the 'flat' version stays as enjoyable as ever ......

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Lou Sytsma said:
Ron that's a spooky gif of you.

Rob, I'm jealous. Now that I've seen the 3D Bluray I would love to see this on a IMAX screen!

Titanic and Life of Pi 3D Blurays are up next. :cool:
It's coming back again at some select movie theaters next week. I know AMC and Cinemark are two of the movie theater chains.
Date: Sunday, January 11 and Wednesday, January 14

Time: 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. (local time)

Run Time: 2 hours 5 minutes (approximate)

Special Fathom Features: A specially produced introduction by TCM host Robert Osborne with the iconic film to immediately follow.

Fathom Events, Turner Classic Movies and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, Inc. invite you on magical journey down the YELLOW BRICK ROADTM when The Wizard of Oz returns to select cinemas nationwide for a special two-day event on Sunday, January 11 and Wednesday, January 14 at 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. (local time both days).

Experience all of the familiar characters in a larger than life way, on the big screen, in this special cinematic event. Make sure to get there on time as TCM host Robert Osborne gives a special introduction illuminating the history of this family classic that has been an entertainment mainstay for the last 75 years.

This film is rated MPAA G. Bonus content not rated.
This film will be shown in the same aspect ratio as when it was originally released in cinemas.
TM & © Turner Entertainment Co.
© 2014 Turner Entertainment Co. and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Robert Crawford said:
It's coming back again at some select movie theaters next week. I know AMC and Cinemark are two of the movie theater chains.
If.......you like the 2D version. :unsure:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have a number of movies that are higher up on the list but I think I will try and work the 3D version in when ever possible. I think it might be a nice addition to the 2D version I already own.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The following question is directed to those who have either the 4 disc 70th Anniversary set, or the 5 disc 75th Anniversary Collector's Edition:

For the Blu-ray that contains DREAMER OF OZ and the silent Films, are these ALL 480p port overs? I ask this, because I recall reading awhile back that the 1925 silent version of THE WIZARD OF OZ that appears on the WOZ Blu-ray sets is a 480p version that looks worse than it does on the earlier WOZ DVD version, as the version that appears on the Blu-ray can't be upconverted, unlike the DVD!

CHEERS! :)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Tony Bensley said:
The following question is directed to those who have either the 4 disc 70th Anniversary set, or the 5 disc 75th Anniversary Collector's Edition:

For the Blu-ray that contains DREAMER OF OZ and the silent Films, are these ALL 480p port overs? I ask this, because I recall reading awhile back that the 1925 silent version of THE WIZARD OF OZ that appears on the WOZ Blu-ray sets is a 480p version that looks worse than it does on the earlier WOZ DVD version, as the version that appears on the Blu-ray can't be upconverted, unlike the DVD!

480i port-overs. The Blu-ray spec doesn't allow for 480p. And doesn't Dreamer of Oz look horrible? It has to have been sourced from a VHS tape as it even has VHS dropouts all over the picture.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mark-P said:
480i port-overs. The Blu-ray spec doesn't allow for 480p. And doesn't Dreamer of Oz look horrible? It has to have been sourced from a VHS tape as it even has VHS dropouts all over the picture.

Hi Mark!

480i? Gee, that's even worse! I gather by your response that DREAMER OF OZ doesn't look any great shakes on the Blu-ray either? It sure has the appearance of a VHS Transfer on my WIZARD OF OZ 70TH ANNIVERSARY 2 DVD set!

Before I decide whether to part with my 2005 3 Disc Collector's Edition or the aforementioned title above, I'll be doing some serious comparisons with the DVD Extras and the 480i Blu-ray port-overs! Frankly, I don't get why 1080p versions couldn't have been made of the silents, at least. As for DREAMER OF OZ, perhaps VHS was all that was available, though it's always appeared to be derived from Film to my eyes, and I remember my disappointment when viewing this notably sub-par visual presentation, after many years of anticipation! Just for one more nitpick, I noticed in one of those unboxing YouTube Videos that the last DVD, which contains the MGM: WHEN THE LION ROARS 3 part documentary is double-sided! If there's one aspect of disc based video that I HATE, it's Flipper Discs!

With all that rant out of my system, I very much look forward to finally having THE WIZARD OF OZ on Blu-ray (Though I'm not equipped for 3D!), and especially for what I'm paying (Just under $43 CDN!) for the Limited Collector's set (If one can rightly call 220,000 units limited?), the pluses clearly far outweigh any minuses (Though DREAMER OF OZ's sorry state does really sting!)! That the 5 Disc set can be conveniently housed on their own without having to purchase new Digi-packs is also greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much for your kind reply!

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks