What's new

3D The Incredibles and Ratatouille: 3D in the works (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
This is pretty good news for the Pixar and 3D fans (Blu-ray releases haven't been confirmed yet, though):

"(3D Creative Summit in London, Pixar’s director of 3D production Josh Hollander): “Right now we’re working on The Incredibles, which is a lot of fun in 3D. I’m not sure what the release strategy for it will be."
“It’s been an interesting challenge to work on technology because - while the film was released 10 years ago - the technology is even older as it took four years to make.”
“We have a version of Ratatouille, which works really well in 3D and we’re trying to figure out exactly what the release strategy for that will be."
Also the upcoming film "Inside Out" will be in 3D:
“There’s not much more I can share about it but it will build upon our use of 3D, supporting ‘emotions’ and emotional moments.”

( http://www.screendaily.com/news/incredibles-3d-in-the-works/5068659.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS&contentID=40562 )

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I guess they're thinking about theatrical re-releases at this point, but I'm sure that the Blu-ray versions are coming at some point.

I actually hope that they'll convert all the major Pixar releases to 3D (I guess "A Bug's Life" and "Wall-E" are left then?).

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Think that both of these movies will be fun in 3D.....hope that they make it to Blu!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
A month ago, a 3D Incredibles surfaced on a Taiwanese release, and although more experienced fans immediately laughed "(pfftt!!) Yeah, Taiwanese, I'm getting THAT 3D release! :D ", those who reported the news for some reason kept protesting, no, this one looked like it was a real version.

Nobody thought much of it at the time, until those who were fighting for the "Frozen in fall" Disney 3D theory were suggesting that Pixar didn't have a summer movie this year (with "The Good Dinosaur" pushed back to '15), they'd need a 3D re-rendering for summer to keep up their theatrical grosses, and Disney would conveniently end up with three big Blu 3D releases for Oct./Nov, counting Planes 2.
And then, all of a sudden, the idea that Pixar might be doing a 3D Incredibles started to look a lot more plausible. (First I've heard of the Ratatouille, though.)
Jari K said:
I guess they're thinking about theatrical re-releases at this point, but I'm sure that the Blu-ray versions are coming at some point.

I actually hope that they'll convert all the major Pixar releases to 3D (I guess "A Bug's Life" and "Wall-E" are left then?).
At the moment, they've only been re-rendering the originals to bring them in line with the new 3D sequels (Cars, Toy Story 1&2, Monsters Inc., Nemo).
Don't get the wrong idea about Incredibles, though, much though we're still hoping.

Dubstar

Agent
Real Name
Jonathan Goeldner
looking forward to seeing these releases - I would assume there hasn't been any news regarding the audio - if they are going to get repurposed 7.1 mixes from the original EX/ES 6.1 masters.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
How about going whole hog and doing Dolby Atmos for The Incredibles 3D in theatrical rerelease? It boggles the mind.......

Dubstar

Agent
Real Name
Jonathan Goeldner
Stephen_J_H said:
How about going whole hog and doing Dolby Atmos for The Incredibles 3D in theatrical rerelease? It boggles the mind.......
that would be insane !!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think that's a distinct possibility.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Adam Gregorich said:
I'm pretty sure Incredibles would see a theatrical release.
That's my bet. Hollander said: "I’m not sure what the release strategy for it will be" and to me it sounds like they're trying to decide whether to release this straight to Blu or bring it first to the big screen.

Perhaps they're also thinking about the sequel. When it's a right time to re-release the first film, since it helps to bring the audience to the sequel. It's all about the marketing.

EDIT: Ah, well here we go: (Bob Iger) "Director Brad Bird is writing the sequel for the superhero pic."

And twitter: "It’s official: we’re currently working on new films featuring your favorite characters from The Incredibles and Cars!"

( http://variety.com/2014/film/news/disney-plans-third-cars-the-incredibles-2-movies-1201137824/ )

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:
I'm sick-to-death of cars.
I'm exact opposite. :) I mean let's face it: Cars 2 was a good film, but it wasn't a good "Cars film". After Cars 2, I want to have the series go back to its "roots" and bring the fun back. This means that they should stick to the Radiator Springs and its surroundings. Or at least stick to the U.S. soil. PLEASE, do not go to another tournament to some "exotic foreign country".

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Jari K said:
I'm exact opposite. :) I mean let's face it: Cars 2 was a good film, but it wasn't a good "Cars film". After Cars 2, I want to have the series go back to its "roots" and bring the fun back. This means that they should stick to the Radiator Springs and its surroundings. Or at least stick to the U.S. soil. PLEASE, do not go to another tournament to some "exotic foreign country".
It's funny: I agree with half of what you wrote. I don't think Cars 2 was a good film precisely because it focused on side character. A little of Mater is a good thing; a lot of overkill and annoying. There were also way too many in-jokes, puns and attempts to make the movie "hip." A hot mess.

But I agree that the series needs to get back to Radiator Springs. That's the heart and soul of what made the first film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My problem is Larry The Cable Guy.

Don't find him or redneck humor funny.

I can tolerate CARS. It was unique.

The sequel...well...we all know how badly that fared.

Personally, I am tired of the CARS/PLANES franchise as I have
had to watch every one of those films to review. Wish they would
just retire it, but obviously there is more money to be made.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Ronald Epstein said:
My problem is Larry The Cable Guy.

Don't find him or redneck humor funny.

I can tolerate CARS. It was unique.
Larry the Cable Guy was funny, Mater....wasn't. At least not as much as John Lasseter had an attachment to him for having met the "real-life" inspiration, and that's a bit subjective. We didn't, and Woody Harrelson was funnier in the original "Doc Hollywood". (But not by much.)
Ronald Epstein said:
The sequel...well...we all know how badly that fared.
Lasseter knows too, it would seem. He was attracted to take over Cars 2 on the strength of the "Lightning's world rally" plot (and the Pixar-huggy subplot about whether he'll leave his friends behind again now that he's a nice guy), and....that sorta got left by the wayside after they tried to "stretch out" the plot with an unused Mater's Tall Tale storyboard they had lying around.
Latest rumors have Cars 3 back to being an "iconic highway" racing movie, this time along the classic California coast, which clearly has Apology Sequel written all over it--Where the chief idea is to get it back on formula before it goes further out. (And like Jurassic Park III and Indy/Last Crusade, the Apology #3 usually never makes it all the way back to the formula of the first movie, but it makes a good safe, unadventurous college try.)

Jari K said:
That's my bet. Hollander said: "I’m not sure what the release strategy for it will be" and to me it sounds like they're trying to decide whether to release (Incredibles) straight to Blu or bring it first to the big screen
That pretty much sounds like it--They need a theatrical screening to pay the bills for the re-rendering, and they could use one with nothing else in the theaters this year, but Disney's still too traumatized about disk-bound theatrical 3D re-releases after Monsters Inc.
Cars 1 didn't get that much of a theatrical screening if at all, and went straight to disk, and they're probably wondering whether this would go straight to Blu with no fanfare either. (Which it probably shouldn't, with so much parent-fan sentiment for it, which's what made so much money for Lion King and Nemo's 3D screenings in the first place.)

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I hate to admit it, but if Incredibles comes to blu in 3D, that's an automatic purchase for me. This is by far my favorite pixar film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks