What's new

Pre-Order Dragonslayer (1981) (4k UHD) (4k UHD Steelbook) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Top post updated with official press release from Paramount

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This is great news. I am really looking forward to the commentary track!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A few words will be posted, but in the interim, Paramount’s new 4k is easy to like. Very nice imagery - keep in mind there are a few opticals - and a terrific new Atmos track.

Not certain whether grain, especially in dupes, may have been massaged, but all’s well.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
If I understand correctly there is no original audio track (we don't all have Atmos capability), and they have "fixed" some effects?

VIFoCqx.png

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If I understand correctly there is no original audio track (we don't all have Atmos capability), and they have "fixed" some effects?

VIFoCqx.png
Appears that they cleaned up the matte and massaged the image a bit. The film received an AMPAS nomination for effects, but did not win. I’m fine with what appears to be a visual improvement as long as the original can be seen, and the effects can be put in historical perspective.

I’m not against modernizing the effects in a production, unless it’s an AMPAS Best Picture. Those should be inviolable.

They’re selling entertainment here, and not cinema history. And the idea is to sell more discs and monetize the library.

Similar situation as Star Wars and other films that have been changed. Could make for an interesting branched edition. Main point is not to restrict the original. That’s a problem.

Might be nice if there’s a featurette explaining the new work. I’ve not checked.

Looks nice!

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

VIFoCqx.png

Maybe my computer display isn't great so I can't see it, but other than the DVD being a little brighter, what difference am I supposed to see here?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The water and reflection under Vermithrax Pejorative.
I am completely bewildered as to why they paid someone to add that to the movie (yes, I realize that it was relatively inexpensive but a penny saved...). As if a 15 year old kid who hasn't seen a movie older than the first Iron Man is going to suddenly decide to watch Dragonslayer but give up on it because of the limits of 1980's effects. Anyone watching Dragonslayer is comfortable with the movie and its effects.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am completely bewildered as to why they paid someone to add that to the movie (yes, I realize that it was relatively inexpensive but a penny saved...). As if a 15 year old kid who hasn't seen a movie older than the first Iron Man is going to suddenly decide to watch Dragonslayer but give up on it because of the limits of 1980's effects. Anyone watching Dragonslayer is comfortable with the movie and its effects.
This 15 year old kid going on 70 appreciates the effort. :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Okay, looked at the "fixed" scene on a better screen and see the changes. Apparently my laptop screen really sucks, as I couldn't see anything different there but the alterations are obvious on my desktop monitor.

As long as this is the only kind of "fix" made, I don't mind. This is just clean-up work, really - at least IMO - like removing the reflection in "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks