What's new

Talk about a movie you can feel!! (1 Viewer)

terence

Supporting Actor

Yes it is set to C-weighted Fast and the LO is below the 110 setting.

So are you saying i'm reading the meter wrong?

I know the meter will show a few db over above the selected range and under.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Not saying you read the meter wrong; just trying to understand the digital read out - I've never used the digital model.

If it reads 102 briefly and then reads LO when set to the 110 scale, I'd say your read was correct. Try it again on the 100 scale and see what happens.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised Tee that you can't do better than 102 dB with the duals in a 4000 ft3 room. Are you sure they are operating completely in phase?
__________________________________________________ _________

Actually Ed his reading seems fairly close to what I would expect. I'm in a 2880 cf ht room and it took three colocated 25-31CS+'s corner loaded to hit the mark. Admittedly my room is leaky but I am in the sweet spot up against the back wall diagonally positioned. Terence has a much larger room and his are split. He also has 20-39+'s.

Terence is your seating up against the back wall or are you out a few ft or more yet?

Since the dgtl meter has a 10 db spread on each side of the setting he might possibly read higher if it was set at 100? Most likely not though.

terence

Supporting Actor

You might be right, also i have a iregular shaped room (bonus room over the garage) to deal with. I just had a custom rack built for my gear and i'm picking up a 2ch amp soon, so i will taking better pictures of my HT to replace the ones up now.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
From the sounds of things terence and from past posts. Your setup is optimised for the best sound you can achieve, not the highest spl reading you can get. If it were so, you would have your subs together corner loaded and your seating up against the wall. Please correct me if i'm wrong. Maybe there is to much of a peak? You might need that space behind the couch for your SB or room layout prohibits?

I believe you do your cross at 80 hz and with being 18' away with 20 hz tuned SVS's. Can I ask if you have tried them together corner loaded? It seems as though you would have no problem and a little more spl not that you don't have plenty as it is.

terence

Supporting Actor
Well Steve you are correct! I see you have great memory, i treid the sub together and it was over the top. Just to much bass and the subs drew attention to themselves when i played music or heavy upper bass dvd's @ times. I found that seperating smooth the bass out and tame the sound. The room behind the couch is for the SB's.

Ed has peak my intrest with that challange and it might even help me optimize my system better and even if i don't hit 110db it will be still be fine. :D I like to tweak a lot and that can be a problem in it self for me.

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
What chapter in LOTR - FOTR are we talking about here where the ring drops? Is the scene a short bass peak or a sustained bass passage?

Never mind, I found out which one. At the beginning battle, right?

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if I can even try the ring drop test. I live in an apartment.:frowning: I think I have the muscle though.

Def Tech PF1800 - 18" with 500w amp
Fosgate Audionics FA15.0 - 15" with 200w amp
Infinity IL-120s - 12" with 500w amp
Dayton 15" Series II woofer and Dayton 250w plate amp in a sealed Merak cabinet (sh*tcanned the Merak parts)

I may attempt this during the day. I have never tried to drive these subs this hard before.

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
I found out on the Polk forums that the "ring drop test" is in the opening battle sequence where the bad guy with a name I can't spell right now gets his nose picker lopped off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks