What's new

Talk about a movie you can feel!! (1 Viewer)

terence

Supporting Actor

WOW! Now this is what a dvd should sound & feel like! :D My favorite chapter for now is "A Truce" when Neo is walking to the source and they show how he sees the machine world (he is blind)
you can feel every foot step. When the source speaks is really cool cause you can FEEL his voice as he speaks! Of course the other battle scene are cool too but i'm having to much fun with this one. Definitely a must have for demo and the final chapter, it's a full out assault on your HT system or and wimpy subs beware!

Anybody else popped this disc in yet?

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, what a soundtrack. Can you do a chart of when the drilling machine falls through the ceiling to the floor of Zion and is standing up? There are some deep pulses there that I think (by seat of my pants) may rival the machine god's voice for depth.
-Erik

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Terence,
I am not sure if that is the same chapter as I am thinking of but I thought the whole Source speaking out had a cool effect and the end fighting scene with Neo had some great bass.
To think I only have 1 25-31PC+ and on a basement cement(carpeted)floor and it made one of the pictures on the wall vibrate.....

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Tee is loving life with the dual Towers Of Power. SVS should offer customers a course in Pants Waffling 101 to prepare them for how truly deep, clean, and powerful bass will forever change their lives for the better.

Revolutions is on deck for tonight. The PB2-Ultra will stand tall with two of these bad boys beating strong under the hood. ;)

Ed

terence

Supporting Actor

The chapter i'm talking about is before the one you are speaking of. You are right about the fight scence, that last water ball explosion in the sky was a killer!

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
I was most impressed in the end during the bright light when
Neo gets jump started

I have recently brought my old JBL PB10 back out for the bedroom system. It pretty much fell on it's face during that scene, and many others. Dual Shiva EBS's handled it just fine...and made me grin like this :D except with a more crazy look to the eyes.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I got the movie last night, but had to end it short because it was getting late and there was just way too much LFE and my folks were going to bed. Unfortunately, I didn't make it to the scenes you guys are referring to, but just the battle in Zion had plenty of deep bass, really gave my HSU a workout and I was afraid my Dayton might blow up. I'll try out those other scenes this evening!

As for the overall sound of this DVD, its really just OK, nothing spectacular (unlike the DTS ES tracks on the LOTR Extended Editions). I would expect a movie like this to at least have Dolby Digital EX, which was disappointing about the first 2 in the series. This DVD has lots of LFE, no doubt about that, decent use of surround speakers, and sound clarity is decent. I was hoping for better sound and picture, but the Wachowski bros disappoint again :frowning:

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what you are expecting. The PQ is top notch(pretty much reference quality). The pickiest reviewer of DVD file gave it 5 stars and I'd agree with him.

terence

Supporting Actor
Not to mention that Widescreen was very pleased. I would have to agree w/ this review.

WSR Picture Rating:

DD Sound Rating:
5+

DVD Picture:

The anamorphically enhanced 2.40:1 DVD picture exhibits the signature look of "The Matrix," with plenty of greens and grays in the color palette. The scenes with touches of vibrant red really pop from the screen. Images are sharp and intricately detailed, with excellent depth and definition. Contrast and shadow delineation are also quite good, with superb visual information in the darker scenes. There is little in the way of smearing or distracting pixelization. Unfortunately, high contrast scenes are not safe from edge enhancement but, for the most part, its presence is generally minor. This is yet another stylized picture that is certainly satisfying in visual quality. (Suzanne Hodges)

Soundtrack:

The Dolby® Digital 5.1-channel mix exhibits superlative fidelity, excellent tonality, superb channel separation, and just basically everything you’d want in a multichannel encoded digital surround mix on DVD. Even in the quieter scenes where dialogue is prevalent, there is a substantial amount of surround activity. Each of the first 16 chapters has very effective 5.1-channel activity that sets the table, so-to-speak, for the main course when Zion is finally breached by the machines starting in Chapter 17. Not only is the onslaught of sonic activity spectacular; it’s just freaking awesome. Vertical, horizontal, and diagonal pans overwhelm the listening space, while individual sound effects have pinpoint accuracy in their placement across the three-dimensional home theatre landscape in comparison to the action onscreen...and that’s just the first four minutes of Chapter 17! LFE is simply thunderous as it echoes, reverberates, and lingers far after the initial low bass sonics makes its initial impact. There is an amazing amount of audible activity that just washes over the listener during these scenes where Zion is breached that just takes your breath away. The sound design and editing is phenomenal. Even after the heavy-duty action sequences during the main assault on Zion are over, there is still one last chapter left to go in the Matrix trilogy: the climactic battle between good and bad with humankind’s existence in the balance. This final battle immerses the listener with the sound of downpouring rain in all five channels. With the rain falling in the background, every punch, every thunderclap, every thud, and every possible moment the LFE could kick in (and it does) echoes within the boundaries of the theatre with great purpose. Don Davis’ original score is superb as it adds a lot of emotional impact to the film. Not only does his score sound wonderful throughout the film, but during the climactic battle, it really stands out and sounds just great. Low bass extension in this final battle, just as it has been in the rest of the film, is deep, penetrating, and gut-wrenching. This is a reference quality Holosonic™ soundtrack that impresses from beginning to end. (Jeffrey Kern)

This Disc Contains The Following WSR-Rated Superb Qualities:

Reference Quality
Superb Sound Effects Recording Quality
Superb Music Score Recording Quality
Superb Special Visual Effects Quality

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I must admit that the picture quality was much better than the first 2, but I still think it could've been better as I've seen better. IMO, the LOTR DVDs have a better picture transfer. I recently watched Gothika on DVD and it had an awesome picture transfer.

As for the sound, I didn't think it was bad, but I also didn't think it was the best. I've heard better, and I would've expected the Wachowski brothers to use Dolby Digital EX, preferably DTS and much preferrably DTS ES, but I guess that's wishful thinking :frowning:

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
This would have been nice but I wonder if they actually think that there are many folks with an EX setup for that matter so they maximized the sound for the majority of us. Either way I'm pretty impressed. Not Haunting DTS impressed but pretty impressed. They wouldn't have added DTS or DTS ES regardless since Warner won't put out anymore DTS titles. I should be even more impressed once the SVS arrives :)

Picture wise: It's definitely better than LOTR IMHO.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Damn, I watched this late at night but could not turn up the volume. I shall rectify that iniquity by this weekend ;)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hi terence,

I have it right here sitting on the desk and no more than a few hrs since I bought it. I decided to check the Forum out first after I got home and when I saw your Thread header, I felt REVOLUTIONS is what you were alluding to. Yip! It certainly is and guess where I'm off to??;)

Triple Threat:b

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Short answer: they feel its redundant. They put out a few to appease the grumbling masses and now they are done. If they change their tune i'd be suprised so I wouldn't say EVER but its a very high probability. If you do see a Warner DTS title, it will be a Morgan Creek production.

terence

Supporting Actor

WB act like they have stock or some kind vested intreast in Dolby, some conflict of intrest issue. The last WB dvd i seen that had DTS was "Trister" all other studios support DTS on dvd but WB.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple Threat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve don't hurt your self.

__________________________________________________ ________

As soon as I opened up the DVD guess who walks through the door? Your right, it was my loving wife who was not in the mood for a bass heavy movie to be playing in the background and vibrating the house. So I told her that I would only power one up and watch it at -23:angry: It worked out fine until the second 1/2 at wich time all hell broke loose! I must admit that the volume did edge up to -18 :D. Still not a ungodly aggressive level would you not agree? So she comes in and turns it down to -33:frowning: Fooee! Whats a guy to do?

After she left to go do a errand, things go up to -12 and all three cylinders are fireing at a +2db/(85) calibration. After channel skipping over the last 1/2, I now feel as though My bass fix has been addressed and life can go on:D

Thanks for the warning terence. I'll take note when I watch it again at -8 or so to really get the full jest of what the sound track has to offer. . :emoji_thumbsup:

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
From folks that I trust, this is not the case.

At this point I can't wait to get my Pb2+ to hear the Matrix Revolutions like I know it can sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks