What's new

Talk about a movie you can feel!! (1 Viewer)

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Amazing sound and picture... When the machine speaks it's total awesome. My gf is impressed at my DIY Tempest sub... This movie has so many LFE bass totally amazing... Definitely be one of my demo DVDs... Although I think the knocking on "The Haunting" is a lil louder maybe 2-3db louder, this movie is right up there. I'm so glad that my Tempest sub handle it cleanly... Every shot/punch/kick I can feel it in my chest, the sound of this movie rocks. I watched this movie at -4db below RL, any louder will probably rattle my pictures off the wall... Great sound :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Alex,

Rick Cohen

Agent
My wife and I watched the movie last night. I also found that the overall volume of the disk was a bit lower than other DD DVDs. The sound quality is excellent and I believe it completed the "break in" on my SVS PB2+. This DVD has bass you can feel, breathe and sense from all directions. Quite a ride!

RICK

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Kick-ass audio and video on this disc. I only dream they would make it DTS ES Discrete on the boxed set version, that would be the only selling point for me as I already own all 3 single editions.

John Zfan

Auditioning
I too was amazed by the SQ of this movie. I tested out my infinity 1200s on this movie in a 40x40 room. It rocked.

This movie was more action packed (after the whole train station nonsense) than the raiders of the lost arch films.

Definitely my new test DVD!

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
After watching it twice, once at low levels (late at night) and once at proper viewing levels, I have to say I wasn't as impressed as all of you seem to be. It was good yeah, but I don't think it was at the mind blowing level it is being made out to be.

I can't wait for the super-duper edition box sets to come out though, then I think I will be quite impressed.

-ps-
My PS1000 handled it easily.

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
Used to have a PS1000 too. The p'digm could go really loud, but somehow I was never satisfied with it. It tended to roll-off the very low frequencies rather quickly for my taste (expected anyway since it was a bandpass design). IIRC, bass below 30hz will be rolling off so quick you might not hear any clean bass at 25hz and below.

I suspect the PS1000 may be missing out on the type of infrasonic bass that's been the rave with the rest of us.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator

The bass was impressive but I didnt think the overall sound quality was all that good compared to other big action flicks. The overall volume level was low and it didnt seem to have as much impact as the first one. Plus I guess it didnt help that it was pretty boring until the end.

terence

Supporting Actor

I have notice the difference between the Reloaded and Revoulutions, but i just turn it up to RL and it's fine. I can also go 4dbs above RL with no strain or problems YMMV per systems, rooms etc. I still think SQ is great!

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
MingL,

Ofcourse, I cannot be certain I know what you fellas are talking about as I haven't seen it on any other system than mine, but I did hear some nice low bass. It was impressive too, in the sense that it was deep bass, but it just didn't have the super-duper effect on me like it seems to have had on the majority.

I suppose I should try and find someone in my area with a different sub to try and hear a difference.
:)

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I have to agree when the Source speaks it shakes your insides. At -8 the PB2 Ultra and the Von Schweikert S/3 got a workout. I actually felt the pressure in the room change!:D Got my bass fix for the week. I wonder how Kill Bill will be?

Steve

RussD

Agent
outstanding, reference level bass. club scene is also very intense. steve, i watched kill bill last nite. great movie, great soundtrack. highly recommended!

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I think I was running my sub too hot when I watched revolutions. It made my sub warble a little on that final water bubble explosion.

But when the voice speaks that is really really cool!

Mitch G

Agent
I just want to make sure I understand something.

When I watched Revolutions, I felt the rumbling in the room as it was transmitted by the couch and coffetable upon which I had my feet.
(FYI: I have a "mere" 8 inch Paradigm sub.)

Are you hardcore :) guys saying you feel the bass directly in your body?
In other words, if you were floating in the air (I guess ala the Matrix), you would still feel the bass?
(Like the big boomers you sometimes see/feel in a fireworks show?)

If so, my bank account might be in trouble. :)

Mitch

terence

Supporting Actor

Maybe just a little. :D

Yes some of us can really feel in our bodies, pants legs and the couch in my HT feels like it's floating @ times.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Last year, we started the "PWC" over at Club Polk. Pants Waffling Club. :b

If your sub can hit 110 dB or more on the LOTR-FOTR Ring Drop (centered around 23-24 Hz) as measured on your RS meter set to c-weighted fast at the listening position (or 10 feet away, whichever is greater) - then you're an honorary member of the PWC.

If you can't make the PWC, then you need to get out your hammer and break the piggy bank. :emoji_thumbsup:

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
If your sub can hit 110 dB or more on the LOTR-FOTR Ring Drop (centered around 23-24 Hz) as measured on your RS meter set to c-weighted fast at the listening position (or 10 feet away, whichever is greater) - then you're an honorary member of the PWC.
__________________________________________________ _________

Hi Ed,

My assumption is your talking uncorrected? If the bar was set at 110 db corrected it might be construed at being to low?

Not to get off track in terences Thread but how is your new PB2-ULTRA review coming along? Any idea of a time frame when it will break?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Steve - uncorrected (as read on the meter). That's about 114 dB corrected at the seat - pretty impressive but the minimum for the PWC.

The PB2+ could easily whomp out at least 115 dB (119-120 corrected) on that passage, IIRC.

You hadda ask.....

Honestly, I'm still wrapping up the data re-do on the PB1-ISD and STF-3 shoot-out. I installed a new pro-grade sound card, and made some THD methodology changes (discused earlier), and this necessitated a complete re-do of the data set, just to be complete. After I get that out of my hair, I'll set my sights on the PB2-Ultra.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks