What's new

SUPERNATURAL - Season 5 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Loved last nights ep. Maybe one of the best this season. Dean weebles and wobbles but doesn't fall down.

I like the direction they are heading in general, actually the race for the showdown as we've been told this season wraps this arch up. :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I have a feeling God is still involved somewhere because otherwise you can't explain how Cas suddenly lept to find Adam. Zachariah and the other angels aren't instantly teleporting him there to break up the action, even if they wanted to use him as bait.

Any chance Adam becomes the short term sleeve of Michael, as he thought? Cas thought it was a possibility.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly

God uses people to do His will. I do believe God is using Dean, Sam and Castiel to work out the solution to this Apocalypse. He seldom just snaps His fingers and "fixes things". He uses us to work out His will. And if you take the concept of the Dark Night of the Soul from mystic theology- sometimes God is most at work when it seems He has turned His face away and does not care.
Same here and I believe that is the way the show will play it out as well.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Gabriel answers the $64,000 question in the last segment. Now, can the brothers cash in? Great episode tonight, I enjoyed all the references to numerous dieties ;)

I do wish Gabriel would have lived. :( And joined their cause. But him giving them direction helps.
I'm interested in seeing which direction they take this.. right now, we've had a mix-Christian view of the archaengels, the presentation of Gabriel & Michael. Now, what I'm wondering is if we see Raphael (The Healer),
Uriel (Fire of God), which come from some Protestant sects/Catholicism/debated in Judaism.. and a few others, or if we see Azrael (Archangel within Islam, some eastern faiths). Gabriel & Michael are basically the only two that have a near universal, old-testament scripture named parties of course.

I don't know, just interesting as to where they go from here. ;) But I thought this was the best story level of the year.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Great follow up to last week's. While they didn't capture either ring, the realization that they were close, and help from an unlikely source provided some good action. And there were some great moments of dialog coming from Crowley. This could be a mad dash to the conclusion of this season, which is scheduled to wrap up this plotline altogether so a new one begins next season.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
SN must have one of the shortest running times of any hour-long network drama. I just watched the last two eps off my DVR and the number and length of commercial breaks was astounding. Not to mention the extended in-episode promos for the Ghostfacers web series and future SN episodes (which they also tease at the end as well). By the time we have the 2-3 minute recap intro, then have the episode end around the 9:55 mark, I swear we must only be getting 32-35 minutes of actual show.

SN has always been rather short, running 38-41 minutes in past seasons compared to the usual 42-45 minutes, but this season has been ridiculous.

What there is of the show has been pretty good, however.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This week ep, minus commercials, was 40:44. Last weeks, with the promos for Ghost Facers removed was shorter, 39:21.

So, yeah, it's on the short side.. but I'll take that above most. Unfortunately a lot of the dramas have now moved to this 41M standard

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hmmm...it seemed a lot shorter than that. Seems like I was constantly fast-forwarding thru commercials and promos.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The meeting with Death was one of the better moments of the whole season, I thought. Loved everything about it.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Random thoughts...

It looked like you'd catch tetanus just touching that sickle.
Crowley is becoming one of my favorite characters on the show.
"Who thought you'd use so much tongue."
Great sequence with Death and Dean in the pizzeria.

I wonder how Dean is going to be able to weasel out of his promise.

- Walter.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I don't know if Dean does wriggle out of that promise. I think Sam may have the right idea, and Dean ends up going along.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Wow..That was some finale. I assumed once we saw who bought it...That we wouldn't know their fate(s) until next season. But, with regards to the last scene...

At first I thought that it was just a normal Sam. But, he didn't want to go to Dean because he is going to settle down and have a family. But, then I remembered the light blowing out and of course this is Supernatural. Any other thoughts from others??

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Enjoyed the finale quite a bit. I guess I'll spoilerize this...

Not sure what we saw during the final scene - Sam's soul cut free from his body, so that he could check up on Dean; courtesy of God?

In any case, Dean has the rings and Castiel has upgrades so I'm guessing (not much of a guess here) that Season 6 will focus on rescuing Sam. Or they could go the Season 4 opening episode route, in which Castiel rescues Dean from Hell. Not saying that Castiel will rescue Sam; but perhaps some other entity will rescue him during the Season 6 opener. Guess we'll see what is in store for the Winchesters in the fall.

I hope we see more of Crowley next year.

- Walter.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The big scuttlebut on the Supernatural forums is that in (at least this episode) Chuck....

Is God.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I think Sam is just going to turn around and leave. He sees Dean is finally happy and he returns to hunting on his own. But of course, some how Dean is drawn back into that world some how. Just a thought.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Interesting to hear there's going to be a season 6. I recall reading in an interview/article least year that the leads were feeling burned out and didn't really want to go past season 5.

I'm certainly not going to complain about the renewal. But I also can't help but think if there hadn't been anybody standing under that street lamp in the last scene, it would have been a damn-fine ending to the series.

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
I'm sure some people enjoyed this episode but I'm not so sure whether the long standing fans felt the same. Basically, in a nutshell, Season 5 made Season 4 completely and utterly redundant. It made it pointless.

Dean, 'The One', the true vessel, the 'Michael Sword' ended up being nothing more than cannon fodder and his dead younger brother stole the limelight from him. Castiel saving Dean from hell, all those lessons the angels threw Deans way ? It all meant nothing. All the trouble saving Dean from Hell ? Nope, didn't mean a damn thing.

However, there were a few things I liked about the episode. The rock music. The montage at the end. The journey with the Impala...

When Castiel stood over Dean at the end I really thought he was God. Blown to bits, reappearing twice. But it's the way the scene played out, his expressions, heck, even the music swelled when Dean asked the all important question. Castiel never once mocked God's creations and showed nothing but love for them, way back in Season 4 when he sat with Uriel on the bench.

Chuck as God ? Not buying that. So did God decide to use Chuck's vessel or was Chuck really God the entire time ? Who knows. The amulet never 'burned hot' in season 4 when they met up with him. Oh well, never mind that one. That's another thing, Chuck likes his call girls....what kind of impression does that leave if he is God ? We know, he is a sleaze bag, they hammered that home too.

So we also learn that Michael isn't really that powerful after all. For someone who is apparently the 2nd most powerful being in the universe he can't prevent Sam from falling into the pit without being pulled into the pit ? Serves him right. I didn't like the younger brother anyway.

One thing I enjoyed about the episode was the montage at the end. But come on, the entire time the show had us pumped up to see this huge fight between Lucifier and Michael. The angels hammered this into our heads very early on in the season. The entire season was building to that fight. Dean was supposed to be THE vessel, not A vessel..or A substitute vessel...but THE vessel. He was the Michael sword. Nope.

So after all that build up, all that crap, we got no fight at all ? Not even a light scuffle between the two heavy weights ? Nope. Dean was brushed aside, heck, he wasn't even the one to use the rings to send his brother away. He was just there. And Castiel exploding, Bobby's neck snapped....for what ? Nothing. They're just fine. Zero tension.

All in all, I was very disappointed with this episode. So Sam is 'out of the cage' at the very end, or is 'Sam' really Lucifier, or is Sam now an angel or a ghost ? He might even be dreaming for all we know. Where is Michael ? Stuck in the pit ? Serves him right. Sam isn't trapped anymore so all the tension goes out the window. Just like that.

Supernatural has been my favorite show from the beginning. But man, that was bad. I'll try to put Season 4 and 5 behind me and concentrate on Season 6 and hopefully they can save this mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks