What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - 1923 S1-- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not a fan of "Origin Stories," when it comes to filmed sequels. Not now. Never was. Probably one of the reasons I can no longer abide anything Star Wars or Star Trek.

But I'll make an exception for Taylor Sheridan's further exploration of his Yellowstone series.

Following in the footsteps of 1883, a superb limited 10-episode series, 1923 shines with the same pixel dust.

Paramount has done right by all three series, in allowing them to hit home video, even in the lowly Blu-ray format.

But here's what's interesting, and I must support Paramount's decision to make these available to the audience that desires them via physical media, because the quality of the Blu-rays, at least on my system in projection, and from a normal seating area, looks precisely like 4k.

The imagery on these discs is beyond perfect.

Here's another thing that popped out at me. I believe I'm seeing night-for-night photography, and if that's accurate, it's absolutely gorgeous in its ability to preserve shadow detail.

Casting, likewise (I keep thinking of Isabel May in 1883, and she continues here - in a way) is superb.

Harrison Ford is very Harrison Ford-ish and wonderful in the role. Helen Mirren kicks it up to an even higher level. Watching her is akin to viewing a master's class on acting, especially when she work without dialogue. She would have made a superb silent film actor, but had she done that, we'd probably not have her today.

There is a second season one the way, which we should see next year, unless the strike continues.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby TrueHD 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 9

Slipcover rating - 1

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Agreed, I like the prequels more than the show itself. Both 1883 and 1923 are more immediate and visceral for some reason. I know Yellowstone has it's fans, I just couldn't get into it myself. I'm lookin forward to season 2 of 1923, hoping for a little more of what was delivered in it's first season.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Agreed, I like the prequels more than the show itself. Both 1883 and 1923 are more immediate and visceral for some reason. I know Yellowstone has it's fans, I just couldn't get into it myself. I'm lookin forward to season 2 of 1923, hoping for a little more of what was delivered in it's first season.

Same here. I gave up on Yellowstone after two episodes. I hated the characters, and not in a "you love to hate them" way. All of Sheridan's other shows I've liked. The only, and I mean only, problem I have with 1923 is Timothy Dalton's character, who struck me as more of a Snidely Whiplash moustache-twirling villain than a three-dimensional character. Everyone else in this show more than makes up for that, though.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
I'm most curious to see how teeanna rainwaters situation gets resolved in season 2. I'm glad sheridan took time to show that part of history, in regards to the natives. I feel yellowstone was a botched opportunity for more serious storeytelling as it went to soap quite quickly, but the two prequels make up for it. I do have a question though. What type of camera was used to film this series?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm most curious to see how teeanna rainwaters situation gets resolved in season 2. I'm glad sheridan took time to show that part of history, in regards to the natives. I feel yellowstone was a botched opportunity for more serious storeytelling as it went to soap quite quickly, but the two prequels make up for it. I do have a question though. What type of camera was used to film this series?
Arri Alexa

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks