What's new

Superman Returns, Superman & II on HD DVD & BRD on 11-28-06 (1 Viewer)

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Thomas as far as I know, they have only 3 layers !! 2 for HD and 1 for SD or 1 for HD and 2 for SD

so it can be dual HD 30GB with 1 signle DVD5 for SD !!
or single HD 15GB with dual DVD9 for SD version...

they don't have 4 layers 30gb + 9gb

Marek

Daniel-M

Second Unit
The BD is going to be a dual layered disc. So that means the BD will have 35 gigabyte space on the HD-version. smart move wb

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Sorry, typo on my part. Meant HD 30gb / DVD 9 format, not 9 GB

Thomas Eisenmann

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Word is that Warner was going to start putting all of their extra-heavy titles on BD50 once it became viable. It looks like this is coming true with SR. Further rumblings (the same ones mentioned by Bill Hunt) indicate that BD50 is no longer a stumbling point for BD discs, and that there will be a bunch of big announcements of titles for BD50 very soon.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Then they better include Dolby TrueHD audio and the IME commentary on the BRD to set it apart from the HD DVD disc. I'm hoping that is the case which would make my decision as to which format disc I buy, much easier to make.

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure how accurate this info is but according to the bits the audio formats will be as follows:
HD: DD+
BD: DD 5.1

They also list that the BD will have the same extras that the HD has (no IME). Can BluRay even do IME? Or is BD-Live the same thing? Without including all the hidef extras I'm guessing we'll be double dipping this release in the future.

As somebody else mentioned before I doubt Warner will re-encode the movie to take advantage of the extra room on the BD disc but I guess we'll see.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If not then I won't buy it because even though it looked great in IMAX, I can wait to see it again when it eventually comes out again with the features that I want on the disc.

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator

I admire your patience. Unfortunately this movie came out the weekend that I decided to get an HD-DVD player and I've been eagerly awaiting this disc ever since. I'll be purchasing this one and probably whichever multi-dip releases Warner puts out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My patience is due to this title not being a must buy for me. I liked the film, but it's not a film I'm dieing to have in my film library.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
HD-DVD/DVD Combo? I'm with Bill Hunt, that's a bad call. All that disk space wasted and no True-HD, and more expensive to boot. I just don't get it. This is a flagship title and the HD-DVD version feels kind of bargain basement (although the price certainly won't be).

EDIT: Didn't get a chance to see Larry's post above before posting this. Hopefully what he says is true, we'll see.

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
While I agree the whole combo thing is a stupid idea, Cjplay also stated that only 30 out of the 50gb will be used on the BD so the whole advantage of extra space is out the window. What I don't understand is why they wouldn't put an uncompressed PCM audio on the BD if they had extra room? The article also stated that all extras were not confirmed so I expect to see IME on the HD DVD version. Still have my fingers crossed on the TrueHD.

That said I'm getting the HD DVD version, can't wait. Ugly cover art though.

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
I believe I remember CJPlay hinting that Batman Begins would have a TrueHD soundtrack before it was officially anounced so the rumor coming from his is very good news indeed.

I still think the best way to do this release would be to put the movie, TrueHD and IME on disc 1 and all of the extras in Hi-Def on disc 2.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

This is excellent news if it's true as it makes it a lot easier on the 28th not to buy the big set. I can live without 3 and 4 in HD for a while, even if the set looks really nice.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
DVD 9 = 9GB (or DL DVD)

You were correct the first time. Fast and the Furious 3: Tokyo Drift is a 30/9 HD-DVD combo. Superman Returns will also be on a 30/9 combo. This was confirmed by an insider over AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8487871

EDIT: Looks like a few people beat me to it. Oh well, guess that teaches me to read page 2 of the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks