What's new

Superman Returns, Superman & II on HD DVD & BRD on 11-28-06 (1 Viewer)

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
If Superman: The Movie is released in only the extended cut version on HD-DVD would that make it the first HD-DVD that did not include all of the features from it's standard definition counterpart?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I thought that dual layer Bluray was 50 gig, is there a 35 gig dual layer Bluray?

I see that Superman Returns will be available with a DD+ track for HD-DVD and a standard DD track for Bluray. :angry: I saw this movie at the Graumans Chinese Theater in Hollywood,CA and the sound was unreal. I can not see why they would not offer this movie in DTS-HD or Dolby True HD! Especially since Dolby True HD has allready been offered on a few HD-DVD releases allready. And as far as the Bluray release is concerned, why they would only offer the old style DD track is rediculous. :eek:

I agree that the cover is not so great but I can live with that part. I just don't see why they can not offer a DTS-HD or Dolby True HD track on both HD-DVD and Bluray. I am going to have to do some serious thinking on what HD version I am going to spend my money on. I would love to have the Bluray version but I am not to happy with being stuck with the DD track. And even though they are using a DD+ track on the HD-DVD release, how much better will it be when compaired to the standard DD track?

I have emailed Dolby about what real differences there are between DD and DD+ other than the 2 extra channels that DD+ can deliver. Am interested in what kind of answer I get from them.

For some reason I really don't care what audio format the original Superman movies come out in, it that sad? But because I know the newer SR movie is capible of some very dynamic sound I am disapointed in the lack of DTS or Dolby lossless sound being used.

Dolby TrueHD

Features
  • 100 percent lossless coding technology.
  • Up to 18 Mbps bit rate.
  • Supports up to eight full-range channels of 24-bit/96 kHz audio.*
  • Supported by High-Definition Media Interface (HDMI™), the new single-cable digital connection for audio and video.
  • Supports extensive metadata including dialogue normalization and dynamic range control.
Dolby Digital Plus

Features
  • Multichannel sound with discrete channel output.
  • Channel and program extensions can carry multichannel audio programs of up to 7.1 channels* and support multiple programs in a single encoded bitstream.
  • Outputs a Dolby Digital bitstream for playback on existing Dolby Digital systems.
  • Supports data rates as high as 6 Mbps.
  • Bit rate performance of at least 3 Mbps on HD DVD and up to 1.7 Mbps on Blu-ray Disc.
  • Accurately reproduces what the director and producer intended.
  • Interactive mixing and streaming capability in advanced systems.
  • Supported by HDMI™, the new single-cable digital connection for high-definition audio and video.
Dolby® Digital

lFeatures
  • Channels (max) 5.1
  • DVD Max Bit Rate 448 kbit/s
  • HD-DVD Max Bit Rate 448 kbit/s
  • Bluray Max Bit Rate 640 kbit/s

DTS-HD Master Audio
  • Channels (max) 8
  • 24.5 mega-bits per second (Mbps) on Blu-ray discs and 18.0 Mbps on HD-DVD
  • 7.1 audio channels at 96k sampling frequency/24 bit depths that are identical to the original
  • 100 percent lossless coding technology.
  • Supports up to eight full-range channels of 24-bit/96 kHz audio.*
  • Supported by High-Definition Media Interface (HDMI™), the new single-cable digital connection for audio and video.
DTS

lFeatures
  • Channels (max) 5.1
  • DVD Max Bit Rate 1.509 - (Mbps)
  • HD-DVD Max Bit Rate ? 1.509 - (Mbps)
  • Bluray Max Bit Rate ? 1.509 - (Mbps)

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
Just because you support both formats doesn't me you have to equally support both. Have you ever seen their high definition web page? You tell me if you can find anything about Blu-ray on there.

www.wbhidef.com

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
But still, I think Warner and Paramount are doing the right thing by supporting both. If all studios were to follow this lead, the format war would be better for the consumer because one wouldn't feel the need to buy into both formats just to get every film they want from every studio.

Edit: Wow, check out the prices on that website. Not too bad, in my opinion.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

:laugh:

I hope it has a Dolby True HD track that would be awsum, now if I could only solve my audio drop out problem when selecting a Dolby True HD track. :frowning:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The force is stong with this one

I can not wait to get this title and to hear it with a lossless track, this will sound awsum

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator

I keep asking the same question along with:

Is it Oct 10 yet? How about Nov 14?

By December I will have bought more movies in the last 6 months then I have in the previous 3 years.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I feel the same way Brian. By the time the end of this year rolls around I would have purchased more movies than I have in the past 2 years. Especially with the DTS-HD titles being released on Bluray in November. Combined with other HD-DVD titles and Bluray titles now that VC-1 encoding is now being used.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
You gotta admit, we're all FINALLY at the point where we wanted to be when we started this goddamn hobby, aren't we?

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

Me, too. I had really curtailed my DVD buying before the advent of the new formats. Now it's 1997 all over again. :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Exactly Larry. I really do get excited...My little brain tells me that having these HD-DVDs doesn't make the film better, but psychologically they are better. :) I'm like a freakin' kid in a candy store, using that "one click" order deal from amazon more than I use the bathroom. Well, not really. ;)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know when Warner Bros. will post the official specs for Superman: The Movie and Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut on HD DVD? Also, have the official specs for Superman Returns been posted anywhere?

I don't want to get too worked up before they're official, but this business of potentially not including the theatrical cut of Superman: The Movie and Superman II is really rubbing me the wrong way to put it mildly. As good as Warner Bros. has been in the past, their handling of the Superman movies on SD and HD DVD leaves a lot to be desired.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Now it's 1997 all over again."

And Im really trying to show restraint and buying the things that I thing will really benefit from HD. Upscaling makes SDs look great so Im TRYING to rebuy as little as possible. Im currently at 12 HD discs and have 7 definites through Dec with whats been announced. A few more maybes depending on reviews.

I cant wait to see Superman Returns though.

Are these discs going to be the same as the SD counterparts? Becuase I thought Superman was supposed to feature both cuts.

Im not too crazy about doing Dir Cuts the way FOX did Alien 3. Id prefer to have the material as a special feature.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

As of right now, it looks like the HD DVD's of SUPERMAN and II will only include the Donner cuts. We'll have to get the regular DVD's for the original theatrical cuts. :frowning:

MarekM

Supporting Actor
are still waiting for some final press release of Superman Returns BD ?
or is it final that BD will get onl DD track ?

Marek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks