What's new

Superman Returns, Superman & II on HD DVD & BRD on 11-28-06 (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Superman:The Movie
http://www.dvdtown.com/discdetails/s...ehd-dvd/20009/
HD-DVD Disc Details

Video: Widescreen 2.40:1 Anamorphic: Yes (Anamorphic) Audio: english in dolby digital plus 5.1
french in dolby digital plus 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, English, Francais, Latin Spanish Runtime: 151 mins

Rating:
Release date: November 28, 2006
Production Year: 1978 Price (SRP): $28.99 Released by: Warner Bros.
Superman 2 (The Richard Donner Cut)
http://www.dvdtown.com/discdetails/s...nercuth/20008/
HD-DVD Disc Details

Video: Widescreen 2.40:1 Color (1080p) Anamorphic: No Audio: english in dolby digital plus 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French Runtime: 127 mins Rating:
Production Year: 1980 Price (SRP): $28.99 Released by: Warner Bros.

Superman Returns
http://www.dvdtown.com/discdetails/s...vdcombo/20001/
HD-DVD Disc Details

Video: Widescreen 2.40:1 Color (1080p) Anamorphic: Yes (Anamorphic) Audio: english in dolby digital plus 5.1
french in dolby digital plus 5.1
spanish in dolby digital plus 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish Runtime: 154 Rating:
Production Year: 2006 Price (SRP): $39.99 Released by: Warner Bros.

Superman Returns
http://www.dvdtown.com/discdetails/s...blu-ray/20002/
Blu-ray Disc Details

Video: Widescreen 2.40:1 (1080p) Anamorphic: No Audio: english in dolby digital 5.1
french in dolby digital 5.1
spanish in dolby digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish Runtime: 154 Rating:
Production Year: 2006 Price (SRP): $34.99 Released by: Warner Bros.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Here is the problem I have with these releases. If they can give Superman 1 & 2 a Dolby Digital Plus mix. Why oh why could they not give Superman Retruns a Dobly True HD or DTS-HD mix? :angry:

And while SMR is getting the Dolby Digital Plus treatment on HD-DVD. Why has WB only given Bluray the basic DD track? :eek:

The should have given them both SMR's lossless audio IMHO and if only one was going to get lossless it should have been Bluray. This movie blew me away when I saw it at the Graumans Chinese Theater in Hollywood, CA. I actually exspected it to be released with a lossless track.

I will do one of two things:
  • Purchase Superman Returns on HD-DVD and not Bluray
  • Wait for it to be released a second time on Bluray with a lossless track.

MarekM

Supporting Actor
so those are final specs ? :frowning: hmm, at least they could add PCM withou any problem, if SR will be BD50 right ?

Marek

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am disapointed that Superman Returns does not get anything better than DD+ for HD-DVD and even more disapointed that Bluray only gets a DD track.

If I do buy this title I will have to go with the HD-DVD version. Or I might as well just buy the SD-DVD as the audio will be the same as the Bluray version. :frowning:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the term anamorphic doesnt really apply to hd dvd right
2 of the hd dvds in the list above say anamorphic yes, 2 say no.

huh.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Doug is right and we've covered this before :P Superman Returns in HD-DVD WILL have Dolby TrueHD....this was confirmed to Bill Hunt of the digital bits.

Everyone take a deep breath. :)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, those specs don't confirm or deny the existance of the theatrical cuts on the Superman: The Movie or Superman II HD DVDs.

Check that, it doesn't confirm or deny the existance of the theatrical cut on Superman: The Movie. I guess it is pretty obvious it won't be on Superman II.

OK. Obviously my reading comprehension is down tonight, as I only looked at the specs above and did not follow the links provided. Damn, no theatrical cuts! I would much rather have a bare bones Superman: The Movie and Superman II HD DVD with both cuts then only the extended cuts and special features, but maybe I'm in the minority.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Ok I am taking a deep breath :cool:

I really hope that Superman Returns does have a Dolby True HD track. That would be a really good addition to my HD library along side Batman Begins, Harry Potter 4, Behind Enemy Lines and Fantansic Four.

Britton

Screenwriter

I'll be extremely disappointed if the theatrical cut of S:TM doesn't make it to HD DVD right off the bat. There's no excuse why not since I assume the version on the regular DVD has just been downconverted from a HD source.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
What I find strange in those specs for SUPERMAN is that the commentary by Pierre Spengler and Ilya Salkind will be included on this release. And yet the commentary was produced for the theatrical cut of the film, not the Directors Cut. The commentary by Richard Donner and Tom Mankiewicz is also present, which is for the directors cut. Maybe both cuts will be on this HD DVD?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Hey Dave, I wasn't trying to be snotty or sarcastic...
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
....I too will be royally pissed if it does turn out that Superman Returns won't have Dolby TrueHD. I trust Bill's posts and believe it to be true.

Here's hoping :)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yeah, there's no excuse for every Blu-Ray title NOT to have a PCM track since the Samsung can't decode the new audio formats. The HD disc of Superman Returns wins out hands down because it has a TrueHD track.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Regardless of the Samsung's ability to play anything beyond multichannel PCM, both DolbyTrueHD and DTS-MA have backwards compatible lossy streams to allow playback on any machine.

Warner has absolutely no reason not to add it to the BD version.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I think multi-channel PCM is going to be the only lossless audio that will play on the Sony, Panasonic and Pioneer Bluray machines as well. Non of those player to my knowledge will have internal decoding. I think it was hinted or suggested that one of the machines may just have ether internal decoding or maybe it was HDMI 1.3?

MarekM

Supporting Actor
so any words, that there will be PCM or DolbyTrueHD on Blu-ray version ?
or those are final specs ?

Marek

Britton

Screenwriter
Well, I'm extremely disappointed that the theatrical cut and most of the extras from the 4-disc DVD of S:TM won't be making their way to the HD discs. Now I'm seriously considering whether or not to pick up the 14 disc boxed set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks