What's new

So, what do you do for a living? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Web Operations Analyst for an international food processor. I design & code web sites, web based applications, provide support on all things Internet related to our marketing department, maintain proxy servers & filtering software, etc. I enjoy my job and the company I work for is amazing. They treat us very well.
By night, I run a small handful of domains & servers from my house. I don't like depending on others so I setup my own servers; the only thing I don't run myself is the physical connection. I haven't yet figured an affordable way to tap directly into the Internet backbone & avoid depending on some sort of ISP or telco.
biggrin.gif

------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
No lawyers, garbage men, baby sitters, soldiers, car dealers, shrinks... WTF??
wink.gif

--
Holadem

Richard Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
Graduated from Uni of Hull 2 yrs ago, and now mechanical designer for a comapny that makes selective soldering machines and skeiners. S'ok I suppose.

Frank Frandsen

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a Police Officer in New Haven, Connecticut...I always thought there was alot of Nerds on this forum, then again Yale university is in New Haven so I am use to it. Boola-Boola..Oh wait, George dubua went to Yale..and he is cool to party with according to some Secret Service agents I know.
wink.gif

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
"Living a HT dream," huh? That inspired me.
I'm the writer -- ad copy, manual drafts, packaging, brochures & collateral, web copy, various communications -- in the marketing department of one of the world's largest-selling speaker manufacturers.
My background is in advertising agency work and magazine writing from NYC (grew up on LI), to Arizona to the Southeast.
But this job, which is hopefully the one I will remain with for many years (since this is a great company, filled with fun, interesting people and catering to fun, interesting consumers), is much more exciting than anything I've ever done. There are no perks in advertising. Here, well, to quote Michael Lee, "I get to play with lots of toys all the time"!
And I get to hang out on this great forum!
MC
------------------
[email protected]
Eliza Dushku, if you're reading this, please email me pronto.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I'm a unix systems administrator in the Philadelphia area. I'm working for a large travel agency right now, but after the events of 9/11/01, there may be layoffs. Whee!
------------------
--
Donald Roeber
Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

Bruce F

Agent
Real Name
Bruce
I'm a community and project manager for a large computer game company.
Spare time goes to my home theater, and playing MMORPGs.
Bruce

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I'm an aircraft maintenance technician, working the international flights for Delta Airlines.
------------------
"...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

Wayne A

Agent
I am a just a common guy who works at the biggest retail store in the world, aka Wal-mart. I've been there since March. I used to work for EDS. They had cutbacks after 7 years of service, they let me go . I really do enjoy working at Wal-mart. I've been recommendend for a management posistion. So when new DVD's come out I usually buy them with my store discount card.
GOD BLESS US ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I'm Nunzio the Crusher; professonal colletion services.
I like baseball bats.
My main gig is working an IT position at a local Catholic hospital. We like to spend money on good stuff so I never have to worry about using junk.
It pays okay for this area but more importantly, it beats the hell out of what I did for a living for 16 years prior to that. I was a DJ at a several FM stations. All 100kw stations. One was CHR, A/C and country. I had fun but the pay sucked. My positions were always either midday or evenings and all were full-time positions. When I moved into a real IT position, my salary was quadrupled. That leaves me more money to blow on DVD's and HT equipment. Oh yeah, car and truck notes, food, utilies. Just think how much more we could spend on DVD's if we didn't have to do silly things like eat.
Being a DJ is great when you're single. There are always plenty of beautiful women that for some reason find your job as a radio personallity alluring. This makes getting what most single men want easy.
Being married, though, is far better as far as I'm concerned. There is nothing else in the world like having a "connection" with your soulmate.
Oh yeah. I owned a dry cleaning business for 10 years. The location was where I thought would be a growing area. Now the real estate always increased in value but the people moving into the area still worked in town and were set in their ways. It was a learning experience. It built character.
------------------
Tobor realized the error in his logic and fully understood the penalty of death from EMP.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I'm an architect in Boston. I'm currently working on a restoration/preservation project in the Back Bay. Prior to that I spent 4 years working on labs at MIT.
I have to mention my wife's occupation because it's so cool. She's an Experimental Condensed Matter physicist. She got her Ph.D. from Harvard and is currently working at MIT on micro engines technology. I'm reasonably intelligent but compared to her I'm as dumb as a post.
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Boy do I feel out of place. :) I'm a self-employed wallboard system engineer. In other words, I'm a drywall contractor. Hard work but I make good money.
------------------
rock_band.gif
"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
I build the tail section of the 777.Its made of graphite and titanium.Alittle aluminum too.My company is hurting after the recent events.When I say hurting I mean emotionally.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Another building contractor here, specializing in home remodels......although.....
I am retired from the chemical industry where I was an account exec with direct responsibility for General Motors chemical needs (which was extensive and big bucks). Flew all over the country for years, wherever GM had a plant. My fav was the Linden, NJ GM plant since while there we always took in a little of NY and it's many fine restaurants and sites..... and the fav of all that was the Twin Towers. It is so sad that we can never lounge in the top floor restaurant again while listening to the 3 piece jazz band.......
------------------

TimW

Agent
I'm a computer animator working at one of the bigger gaming companies here in the San Diego area.
I can't picture doing anything else really. Very fun stuff. Very fun project. It's so cool to feel like you're giving a little life to something everyday. Sometimes I even feel guilty for getting paid for what I do. :)
Tim

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I guess I should've figured there would be a lot of high-tech jobs among the members of the HTF! :)
Okay, I'll bite...
I work at what the people there commonly refer to as the "Memphis Repair Center" (not our actual name), a 3-building depot where we are the largest (and independantly rated as the best, thank you very much!) North American center for laptop computer repairs. We are subcontractors, and do both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repairs for a variety of the brand names out there. For our biggest OEM customer, we also repair some of their desktop computers and network servers, too. We just a got a major new contract in a new direction, but I'm not sure I'm allowed to say what it is yet (but the geeks out there will love it). But we pursue contracts to repair anything electronic like cell phones, videogames, PDA's, whatever. Perhaps one day we'll repair DVD players!
I am a Data Processor, or data miner, or report-writer or glorified secretary. :) My official title is "Operations Data Analyst", and I'm on the IT Dept's 3-person "Data Ops Team". Each morning we pull data from our main computer system to compile stats about our production on the previous work day, for each different OEM Customer's programs. Essentially, we are proving to them that the depot fulfilled the contract for another day, and giving them info about the status of each repair still in progress and what's needed to complete the service. The metrics we provide show how well the depot performed, and are used, among other ways, to prove whether bonuses or penalties should be assessed.
When we're done doing that for the day, we develop new reports in SQL or VB, or use Microsoft Access and/or Excel to process the data in different ways so that it can be analyzed by management to improve production or maximize revenue. Or else we provide the Engineering Dept. with data about parts failures, to relay back the OEM so that perhaps an imperfect design can be improved. If needed we also beta-test new code put into the main system.
I started there almost 5 years ago as a bench technician, but moved up to escalation tech after 6 months and then just over 2 years ago I moved to my present job.
Before that I was a retail store manager for 13 years in a leading chain of Computer Software stores. I changed careers 3 months after getting married, because I needed to work less than 60-70 hours a week in order to enjoy my wife and start a family! :)
My wife also works there; she is in charge of the largest of the 3 "Billable Cage" areas, which is where we store units that are awaiting arrangements from the unit's owner to pay for out-of-warranty repairs. She has her hands full keeping that one organized, since she's responsible for the correct disposition of these units either back to the customer unrepaired (if they decide not to pay) or to dispatch them to technicians for repairs. She not only has to keep up with the units, but all the accessories that are sent in (AC Adapters, batteries, PC Cards, discs, etc.). She's an organizational mastermind, if you ask me!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TwinTowers.jpg

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I am a Senior Development Scientist for a mid-sized specialty chemical company. Specifically, I work in new product development for the Pool & Spa Products Division in this company. It's a great job. I've only been there since April, but I have no complaints whatsoever. My colleagues are talented, bright, and great people, so it's a great environment to work in. Also, as you can imagine, pool & spa is a great business to be involved in. It's fun working at pools, though much of my work is in the lab and managing projects from my office. The time spent at pools is great. It's a really great job, and the pay is very good. No complaints here.
Frank, you said:
I build the tail section of the 777.Its made of graphite and titanium.Alittle aluminum too.
Funny, but my Sony SCD-777ES SACD player has no tail section and has no graphite or titanium. Hmmm...maybe you are talking about the Sony STR-DA777ES receiver or the forthcoming Sony SCD-XA777ES SACD player. Or the Onkyo TX-DS777 receiver, perhaps? :)
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Richard Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
"Robert, you said:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I build the tail section of the 777.Its made of graphite and titanium.Alittle aluminum too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Funny, but my Sony SCD-777ES SACD player has no tail section and has no graphite or titanium. Hmmm...maybe you are talking about the Sony STR-DA777ES receiver or the forthcoming Sony SCD-XA777ES SACD player. Or the Onkyo TX-DS777 receiver, perhaps?"
Ok, that's a serious one-track-mind problem there. :)

David McGough

Second Unit
"Boy do I feel out of place. I'm a self-employed wallboard system engineer"
We call them sheetrockers and yes they do make good money.
That's a good job....Don't feel bad I know a guy who his job is to sniff farts out of used seats
wink.gif

Dmac

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks