What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Sequels better than the original... (1 Viewer)

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
sequels I liked better that the 1st..

Aliens, saw aliens first back in theaters in 1986.. then tried renting he first soon after..but found it boring

Batman Forever, I thought it was better than the first 2
mostly for nicole kidman

Terminator 2, better effects. I dont think I've rewatched part 1 since I saw part 2 back in 1991

Jurassic Park 2 (lost world) less kids than the first.
I actually liked the trex in the city senes

Movies many prefer the sequels over the first,
but I didnt like..

Toy Story 2 - was disappointed.. I found the cow girl character annoying.. I just dont like Joan Cusak!

Empire Strikes Back - I dont like all those cloud city and swamp scenes.. the moving drags to me..

Blade 2 - some parts were cool, but it had less back ground story and set up, it felt like useless action, and ended on a weak note

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Spiderman 2 was far superior, hated the power ranger villain of the first.

On the hanibal trilogy, i would go for - Silence of the lambs, then Hanibal, then Red Dragon being the worst of the bunch. None of them are bad movies, but i'm no fan of Ed Norton, somthing a bit wooden about his acting IMO. I really liked hanibal though, very different story to Silence of the lambs (unlike Red Dragon, which seemed to be trying to copy to much from it), not sure if jodie foster would have improved it or not though. Seems quite a few people prefer red dragon to hannibal, i dont think it even came close to the same standard.

michael_mo

Stunt Coordinator
"The Oddyssey" is much better than "Troy"
(wishful thinking, I know, but I hope to god that this movie is made some day ..... with Sean Bean as Odysseus and Howard Shore doing the score)

Evil Dead 2 (IMHO) was more of a remake, not a sequel. Same basic set and plot. Evil Dead was more of a traditional "Horror" film, while Evil Dead 2 is 1/2 comedy, 1/2 horror film.

IMHO the origninal - sequel would be Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness. Which are equal quality films.

Star Trek 2 is the best example of a sequel that far outweighs the quality of the original.

Movies - Sequels that are a wash:
Shrek and Shrek 2
All 2 LOTRs

Sequels that bastardized the original:
Beastmaster 2
Lion King 2
Porkys 2
All Nightmare on Elm Street sequels
Any Rocky after the third one

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
michael,
more like any rocky after the 2nd one, the first 2 rocky films were the only decent ones. Rocky 2 being on a par with rocky 1. Which is why many of us want a anamorphic re-release of rocky 2, which AFAIK still hasn't happened. I really can't stand to listen to apollo's eye of the tiger speaches from rocky 3, and Mr T's character was the worst villain in any rocky movie. I even prefer tommy gunn from the 5th and that really was a lame movie.

And if were gonna talk about sequels that bastardised the original, then there are plenty more that deserve a mention - highlander 2, exorcist 2, etc. Obviously, it's far easier to name badly made sequels then it is to name sequels that surpassed the originals.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Maybe he's referring to the "love conquers all" cut of the film.
No, he specifically mentioned the Director's Cut.
I like how my question killed the thread for over two years! AHA!!! :D
Anyone mention Babe II: Pig In The City yet?
And if we're going beyond the originals, Exorcist III was way better than Exorcist II.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks