What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I try hard not to be misunderstood.

Regardless of what you may hear from Mr. Douglas, I am not against motherhood, women having the vote, the right of a free man to wear chin whiskers - nor am I against grain manipulation in flickers, especially as an actual need arises.

Warner Archive is releasing a quite extraordinary film, which like several its brethren from RKO, has a problematic physical history.

Abe Lincoln in Illinois, directed by John Cromwell, and released in 1940, is a magnificent, huge production with a budget commensurate with the subject matter.

The original elements have been over-loved over the decades.

The original camera negative is long gone. A slightly battered nitrate fine grain has survived, albeit missing several shots, along with the corresponding track. All safety elements are based upon that same damaged fine grain, with all problems baked in.

Which means that this release is a true rara avis. An actual restoration, which I applaud.

It possesses a wonderful cast, led by Raymond Massey as Mr. Lincoln - an odd choice to play a great American, as he was born and bred as one of our neighbors from the north.

You'll find Gene Lockhart as Stephen Douglas, a younger Ruth Gordon as Mary Todd than most are used to seeing - she began in film in 1915, and a youngish Howard Da Silva, who appeared later in another political endeavor mit music.

The film was shot by James Wong Howe, who knew his way around a camera, as he began in 1919.

It's based upon the Pulitzer Prize winning play of the same name by Robert Sherwood, and starred Mr. Massey, and featured Mr. Da Silva, both reprising their roles in the film.

I'm thrilled to finally have this on Blu-ray, as I've never seen it look any better than decent in any form.

The downsides to what I'm seeing on the new Blu-ray are extremely minimal but must (in all propriety) be mentioned.

Presumably because of the overall condition of the nitrate master, the film seems to be missing its original grain, and while generally things look fine unless one prays at the shrine of original grain structure, I did make note of at least one occurrence of magnetic grain, which again is extremely minor, and will probably go unnoticed.

Because of missing footage, a few shots are replaced by 16mm, as is the track, and you'll find a couple of very minor jump cuts. These shots have been missing for decades and are a welcome addition in any gauge. We're talking about probably less than 30 seconds, and most viewers won't make note of it.

The final look and feel of the film is gorgeous.

It possesses full rich shadow detail, beautiful blacks, and absolute stability. It's also perfectly clean.

Lastly, and before anyone asks, I prefer this film to Mr. Ford's. Very different performance.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely!

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Mr. Massey’s work here is quite extraordinary. In league with Mr. Holbrook’s Twain.
Mr. Massey never gave a bad performance! This GREAT film was a mainstay on WOR in NY --- poor RKO though this film lost a lot of money ----- RKO was a great little studio with a very sad history Thank you for the great review Mr. H!

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I try hard not to be misunderstood.
RAH
May The Fourth Be With You Do It GIF by Star Wars
:D!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
OK, pre-ordered. I was going to pass on this--not that I don't like the film, I do; in fact, I remember finding it quite inspiring, and it is, as Mr. Harris notes, a class A RKO production, back when that really meant something, though I thought it a little stage bound and uncinematic and happen to prefer Mr. Ford's version, but after hearing all Warners went through to restore it, I would be remiss if I didn't support such quality work.

CarlLaFong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Wheeler
I remember seeing a B&W movie about Lincoln in grade school, in the early 70s. The film I saw included a scene with young Abe lifting an (occupied!) outhouse off the ground, to demonstrate his strength. Anyone know if that is this movie?

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Interesting point Mr Harris about enjoying this film over Mr Ford’s version released a year earlier. I tend to agree with you in that assessment, although one of the great lines ever spoken by Henry Fonda occurs in Young Mister Lincoln. As he’s interrogating Ward Bond, he says…”I’ll guess I’ll just call you Jack Cass”. Hahaha, I’m laughing just typing that line in

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Massey was 79 years old when they shot that movie - I can't buy him as 22-year-old Abe.

Gordon is terrific as Mary. She brings real bite to the role and makes Mary by far the movie's most interesting character.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Am I missing something here? Massey was born in 1896 and the movie came out in 1940.

Yeah, what Colin said doesn’t make sense (doing the math, Massey would have been about 44 at the time this film was made), unless he was thinking of Massey’s very brief reprisal of the role of Lincoln in How the West was Won.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Am I missing something here? Massey was born in 1896 and the movie came out in 1940.

Yeah, what Colin said doesn’t make sense (doing the math, Massey would have been about 44 at the time this film was made), unless he was thinking of Massey’s very brief reprisal of the role of Lincoln in How the West was Won.

It was a joking exaggeration. I guess only RAH can get away with jokes that lack emojis! <_<

Massey WAS far too old for the role through much of the movie, though. He looked 43 going on 60, and the sight of him as Abe in his 20s is unintentionally hilarious.

He looks years older than his father in the opening sequence!

The movie does allow Massey to "age into" the role but so much of it takes place with younger Abe that I found it tough to swallow Obviously Not 20-Something or 30-Something Massey in the part.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It was a joking exaggeration. I guess only RAH can get away with jokes that lack emojis! <_<

Massey WAS far too old for the role through much of the movie, though. He looked 43 going on 60, and the sight of him as Abe in his 20s is unintentionally hilarious.

He looks years older than his father in the opening sequence!

The movie does allow Massey to "age into" the role but so much of it takes place with younger Abe that I found it tough to swallow Obviously Not 20-Something or 30-Something Massey in the part.
Well, the casting of Massey doesn’t seem to hurt the high regard most people have for this fine film.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I don't have a problem with Massey's age in the film. For one thing it is common for the same actor in a Hollywood to play a character at different ages with the younger ages being the most problematic, so I look past it. For another, there are few (if any) photos of Lincoln as a really young man (maybe due to photography being in its infancy?). Massey in his makeup looks like many of the photos of Lincoln. Yes, the photos were probably taken of Lincoln when he was in his 40's, but that is the image we all have of Abe, and Massey strongly resembles the Lincoln of photographs.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
In Colin's defense, yes; when I first saw this film, oh fifty years ago now, just after having seen and loved Mr. Ford's version of the tale, I was a bit taken aback by Mr. Massey's less than youthful demeanor, especially his acts of physical prowess, which I found implausible. But then, as Lou Reed wrote in "Sweet Jane", those were "different times'. And people had different expectations in the movies they went to. Especially considering this was a famous play, with Mr. Massey in the lead role, that many people had seen, or read about and seen photographs of. So Mr. Massey was, back when this film was made, considered the epitome, visually, of Honest Abe. Because this film originated as a play, there was more a sense of theatricality to it, as well as suspension of disbelief.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In Colin's defense, yes; when I first saw this film, oh fifty years ago now, just after having seen and loved Mr. Ford's version of the tale, I was a bit taken aback by Mr. Massey's less than youthful demeanor, especially his acts of physical prowess, which I found implausible. But then, as Lou Reed wrote in "Sweet Jane", those were "different times'. And people had different expectations in the movies they went to. Especially considering this was a famous play, with Mr. Massey in the lead role, that many people had seen, or read about and seen photographs of. So Mr. Massey was, back when this film was made, considered the epitome, visually, of Honest Abe. Because this film originated as a play, there was more a sense of theatricality to it, as well as suspension of disbelief.
Why does Colin need defending? He stated his opinion which he's entitled to have regarding Massey's casting, so I don't see a problem here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks