What's new

Press Release MVD Press Release: Swamp Thing (1982) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
MVD ENTERTAINMENT GROUP PROUDLY ANNOUNCES
WES CRAVEN’S 1982 DC COMIC SUPERHERO FILM SWAMP THING
COMPLETELY RESTORED AND REMASTERED
MAKING ITS PREMIERE ON 4K ULTRA HD FORMAT
4929x3492.jpg
MVD ENTERTAINMENT GROUP IS PROUD TO ANNOUNCE SWAMP THING, LICENSED FROM MGM, FOR RE-RELEASE IN NORTH AMERICA ON BOTH 4K ULTRA HD AND BLU-RAY FORMATS ON JULY 25, 2023

THE RELEASE INCLUDES BOTH THE ORIGINAL PG RATED THEATRICAL CUT, AND FOR THE FIRST TIME IN NORTH AMERICA, THE
UNRATED INTERNATIONAL CUT

Swamp Thing is a 1982 American superhero horror film written and directed by Wes Craven(A Nightmare On Elm Street, Scream), based on the DC Comics character of the same name created by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson. It tells the story of a brilliant scientist, Dr. Alec Holland (Ray Wise, Robocop) and a government agent, Alice Cable (Adrienne Barbeau, John Carpenter’s The Fog) who have developed a secret formula that could end world hunger and change civilization forever. Little do they know, however, that their arch nemesis, Arcane (Louis Jourdan, Octopussy) is plotting to steal the serum for his own selfish schemes. Looting the lab and kidnapping Cable, Arcane douses Holland with the
chemicals and leaves him for dead in the swamp. Mutated by his own formula,
Holland becomes “Swamp Thing” - a half human/half plant superhero who will stop at nothing to rescue the beautiful Cable and defeat the evil Arcane...
even if it costs him his life.

Released theatrically in 1982 and featuring a supporting cast that includes David Hess (The Last House on the Left), Nicholas Worth (Barb Wire) and Dick Durock as “Swamp Thing” (who reprised the role in the 1989 sequel The Return of Swamp Thing and the 1990 – 1993 “Swamp Thing: The Series”), SWAMP THING became a cult hit upon its release on home video back in the 1980’s and its countless airings on cable television in the 80’s and 90’s. Critic Roger Ebert loved the film, giving it three out of four stars saying, “Swamp Thing had already won my heart before its moment of greatness, but when that moment came, I knew I'd discovered another one of those movies that fall somewhere between buried treasures and guilty pleasures.”

With classics such as The Last House on the Left and The Hills Have Eyes under his belt, following Swamp Thing, screenwriter and director Wes Craven’s career skyrocketed as he became a master of the horror genre with both the smash hit A Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream franchises, along with cult classics such as Deadly Friend, The People Under The Stairs, Shocker and more. According to John Wooley’s 2011 book “Wes Craven: A Man and His Nightmares,” regarding his experience on Swamp Thing, the late director was quoted as saying, “Swamp Thing was an extraordinary experience because it was the first time I was given a budget that was decent. It was the first time I had a really good cast, and it was the first time I was shooting on location in a really beautiful area. So, it was very pleasurable in that sense. The downside was that it was an extremely difficult shoot because we were in a swamp, and it was hot, and there were mosquitoes and snakes and alligators. It was just an extremely difficult environment to work in, but we had a lot of fun.”

Overseeing Swamp Thing for the MVD Rewind Collection was MVD’s Director of Acquisitions Eric D. Wilkinson, who says, “As the producer of all things 'Rewind,' I couldn’t be more proud of this release. We licensed the title from MGM more than a year ago and my first order of business was to clear the rights of the 'unrated international cut' so we could release it here in North America. Adrienne Barbeau was lovely and gracious and her management team was a pleasure to work with. MGM gave us access to the film materials and we worked closely with Duplitech overseeing the 4K high definition 16-Bit scan of the original camera negative along with the remastering and restoration of both versions of the film. I then proceeded to license the rights to all of the great archival supplemental material which includes a commentary from director Wes Craven, a second commentary from makeup effects artist William Munns, interviews with actors Adrienne Barbeau and Reggie Batts, along with comic book writer / editor Len Wein (who created Swamp Thing for DC Comics), archival making of featurettes, documentaries and more. Of course we have our 'Retro-VHS' themed packaging for Blu-ray, and because this is our first 4K Ultra HD format release,
we’ve created a sister brand I’m calling MVD Rewind’s 4K LaserVision Collection with a new line-look that pays homage to RCA’s long retired SelectaVision VideoDisc format from the early 1980’s. With a new Swamp Thing movie on the horizon from DC Studios from Executive Producer James Gunn and writer James Mangold, our timing couldn’t be
better to reintroduce fans to this classic film with a definitive version on both Blu-ray and Ultra HD formats.”

RELEASE DETAILS:

MVD LaserVision Collection #1
TITLE: Swamp Thing (2-Disc Collector’s Edition) [4K
Ultra HD + Blu-ray]
SKU: MVD12567UHD
UPC / Barcode: 760137125679
MSRP: 49.95
STREET DATE: 7/25/2023

DISC 1: SWAMP THING 4K LASERVISION COLLECTION –
SPECIAL FEATURES:

• 2023 4K Restoration (16-Bit Scan of the Original
Camera Negative) of both the US Theatrical PG Version and Unrated International Version of the film presented in its original 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio in Dolby Vision / HDR
• Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono, Spanish Mono
• Optional English Subtitles
• Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Wes Craven
moderated by Sean Clark (Theatrical / PG Version)
• Audio Commentary with Makeup Effects Artist
William Munns moderated by Michael Felsher (Theatrical / PG Version)
• Collectible “4K LaserVision” Mini-Poster of cover art
• Limited Edition “4K Laservision” Slipcover (First Pressing Only)

DISC 2: SWAMP THING REWIND COLLECTION BLU-RAY –
SPECIAL FEATURES:

• 2023 HD Restoration of both the US Theatrical PG
Version and Unrated International Version of the film presented in its original
1.85:1 Aspect Ratio
• DTS-HD Audio 2.0 Mono, Spanish Mono Audio
• "Tales From the Swamp" (Remastered) with
Actress Adrienne Barbeau (HD, 16:56)
• "Hey Jude" with Actor Reggie Batts (HD, 14:30)
• "That Swamp Thing" with Len Wein, Creator of Swamp Thing (HD, 13:19)
• "Swamp Screen: Designing DC's Main Monster" featurette (HD, 20:32)
• "From Krug to Comics: How the Mainstream
Shaped a Radical Genre Voice" featurette (HD, 17:34)
• Posters & Lobby Cards - Photo Gallery
• Photos from the Film - Photo Gallery
• William Munns’ Behind the Scenes Pictures - Photo Gallery
• Behind the Scenes Photos by Geoffrey Rayle – Photo Gallery
• Theatrical Trailer (HD, 1:31)
• "REGION A" LOCKED

MVD Rewind Collection #51
TITLE: Swamp Thing (Collector’s Edition) [Blu-ray]
SKU: MVD8554BR
UPC / Barcode: 760137855484
MSRP: $39.95
STREET DATE: 7/25/2023

SWAMP THING MVD REWIND COLLECTION BLU-RAY –
SPECIAL FEATURES:

• 2023 HD Restoration of both the US Theatrical PG
Version and Unrated International Version of the film presented in its original
1.85:1 Aspect Ratio
• DTS-HD 2.0 Mono Audio, Spanish Mono
• "Tales From the Swamp" (Remastered) with
Actress Adrienne Barbeau (HD, 16:56)
• "Hey Jude" with Actor Reggie Batts (HD,14:30)
• "That Swamp Thing" with Len Wein,
Creator of Swamp Thing (HD, 13:19)
• "Swamp Screen: Designing DC's Main
Monster" featurette (HD, 20:32)
• "From Krug to Comics: How the Mainstream
Shaped a Radical Genre Voice" featurette (HD, 17:34)
• Posters & Lobby Cards - Photo Gallery
• Photos from the Film - Photo Gallery
• William Munns’ Behind the Scenes Pictures - Photo Gallery
• Behind the Scenes Photos by Geoffrey Rayle – Photo Gallery
• Theatrical Trailer (HD, 1:31)
• Two-Sided Artwork
• Collectible MVD Rewind Collection Mini-Poster
• Limited Edition Slipcover (First Pressing Only)
• "REGION A" LOCKED

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
we’ve created a sister brand I’m calling MVD Rewind’s 4K LaserVision Collection with a new line-look that pays homage to RCA’s long retired SelectaVision VideoDisc format from the early 1980’s
You had me at homage to SelectaVision VideoDisc. LaserVision Collection, brilliant marketing move. I'm buying this, and I'm not really a big fan of the movie, so it worked on me.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I dig the retro CED style packaging. Reminds me of the "Big Sleeve Edition" Blu-rays that were released in the UK a few years back, with the discs stored in 12" gatefold sleeves like a Laserdisc or vinyl LP. That said, I didn't buy any of those and probably won't buy this either. Fun, though.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I just noticed the sticker on the VHS style package: "PREMIUM: Recorded in EP Mode. Minor tracking adjustments may be desired." :laugh:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Swamp Thing was issued on CED but it was from Embassy who had their own style of covers, not the RCA style that this release imitates.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I just noticed the sticker on the VHS style package: "PREMIUM: Recorded in EP Mode. Minor tracking adjustments may be desired." :laugh:
I had managed to completely suppress my painful memories of battling the VCR tracking adjustment in the good ol' Betamax and VHS days. Thanks MVD!

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Adrienne Barbeau alone is worth the price of admission.
Make that, double the price. DD

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The odd thing about this film is that while the scene with the topless bathing is called the international cut, I could have sworn it was shown here in the US on pay TV with that scene in it. I've not seen the picture since the 1980s but I recall that scene being in the film. My mind could be playing tricks on me but I am pretty certain the version of this I saw had the topless swimming scene in it. Was it cut out for home video or was it cut for the original theatrical showings?

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The odd thing about this film is that while the scene with the topless bathing is called the international cut, I could have sworn it was shown here in the US on pay TV with that scene in it. I've not seen the picture since the 1980s but I recall that scene being in the film. My mind could be playing tricks on me but I am pretty certain the version of this I saw had the topless swimming scene in it. Was it cut out for home video or was it cut for the original theatrical showings?
It's been a while since I watched it, but my recollection is the US version of that scene features, what they call these days, "tasteful side-boob."

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It's just the one topless bathing scene isn't it?
There's also a brief kind of orgy scene with Louis Jourdan's henchmen and some prostitutes. I didn't realise it was the international cut and remembered it being PG, and thought there was no way this could have been PG, even if the ratings were more permissive in the 70s and 80s.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
There's more of her in the European cut.
I remember watching it with my grandson when it was first released on DVD. When it came to the scene in the water when she was nude...I couldn't believe it. They had put the International version out instead of the US version, nothing on the case stating that.

My grandson said nothing to his mom about it and I didn't say anything. I might have to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks