What's new

Red Dead Redemption (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Me and my buddies formed a posse. We took quite a few bandits out at some fort. Then we were feelin antsy by nightfall, and took over a town(forgot the name)strong arm style! The first patron to enter the saloon got his clock cleaned by myself.
My buddies took their positions, and systmeatically eliminated every other person who entered.

Then the law came in shootin.

How do you make it with a whore? They all talk dirty but I guess being my character is a married man I cant do nothin? That sucks!!

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I just ordered this off of Amazon and should have it on Thursday. The ps3 version is my version of choice but I ultimately decided on the 360 version for several reasons:

1.) Live- Though I'm not a big multiplayer, it looks like a lot of the people in this thread are on Live and I'd like to play with some people. Live is a better multiplayer experience than the psn as well.

2.) Graphics- I looked at the graphical comparison on the Lens of Truth and while both versions look pretty. The 360 had a slight but noticeable graphical edge to it.

3.) Controller- For these type of games I generally prefer the 360 controller.

4.) I have less games on my 360 then my ps3 and I hate seeing the 360 gather dust.

All in all, I think that giving these reasons, that the 360 version will be my best choice and that is why I went with it.

I was able to take advantage of a $10 credit and free 2-day shipping on Amazon. My final price was $46.99, I know I couldn't have done much better without trading stuff in.

I look forward to starting this.

My gamertag is Sticky Spork if anyone here is interested in adding me.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I'll check the request tonight Sam. I think I also have you on my PS3 (CletusVandam). My copy should be here on Thursday but I plan on getting some single-player game in before going online.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yup, I definitely have Cletus on my PS3 friends, but the way that system works I hardly ever have contact with others playing. Anything I might remotely be interested in playing Multiplayer on I get for 360...

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Yup, I definitely have Cletus on my PS3 friends, but the way that system works I hardly ever have contact with others playing. Anything I might remotely be interested in playing Multiplayer on I get for 360...

I feel you there. I'm not a big multiplayer, but in my experience the psn is just not as robust or nice for multiplayer-gaming like xbl is.

I got the game on Thursday but have yet to start it, I've just had a lot of crazy days at work and a fairly robust social schedule during the evenings. I plan on starting the single-player tonight and may get on for some multi-player at some point this weekend. I would love to play with some people from htf. I remember way back with the original xbox quite a few of us would play online together and we'd have a blast.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I'll add you soon, Keith. I actually lent out my 360 console to a young neighbor of ours who is going through some rough health issues, and so I haven't been able to play Red Dead any in the past couple of weeks or so, but I should be getting it back sometime soon, as I understand it.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I've had the game for about a week now and am still inching through single-player. I'm not a huge fan of western genre material but this game is a blast and is Rockstar quality, I'm pretty happy with the overall polish of it.

The other day I was in Armadillo and was about to tear off a wanted poster when things just went crazy and a posse comes riding through terrorizing the townsfolk. I set about stopping them and within a minute or two the street was littered with gang corpses. Random things like this are just really cool and help to add to the overall awesome of the game.

Did you add me Josh? I got a friend request from a random individual and I am thinking it was you.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, that was me -- I added you through the Xbox website, since I still haven't gotten my console back yet. Hopefully will very soon, though (as in, the next couple of days).

Dammit, I'm dying for some Red Dead action right now...

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Finally got my Xbox back, and have been playing this game most of the day.

Games might not be considered "art" by some, but crossing into Mexico at night while that song by José González plays is fucking transcendant.
Period.

I'm amazed there's no "hanging" option in the game, when it comes to criminals or horse thieves...then again, perhaps it's for the better. Being able to lynch people would be rather hilarious. And perhaps uncomfortable. (Even more uncomfortable, if the game kept detailed stats online of your lynching preferences.)

The poker AI seems a bit random to me, at times. I busted everyone out in Blackwater, so it was just me and Sam Wah -- we went back forth for ages, cautiously folding for very small pots. I was thinking I'd never be able to win. After a while, he went all in, and I had a decent hand -- Queen-high-straight, I think; and all he had was a Jack-high, or something rubbish like that. Very stupid of him.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
transcendant said:
The poker AI seems a bit random to me, at times. I busted everyone out in Blackwater, so it was just me and Sam Wah -- we went back forth for ages, cautiously folding for very small pots. I was thinking I'd never be able to win. After a while, he went all in, and I had a decent hand -- Queen-high-straight, I think; and all he had was a Jack-high, or something rubbish like that. Very stupid of him.
I just got in to Mexico the other night and yes that was a rather transcendant moment.

I'm running in to an odd problem with my copy of the game though and I'm not sure if it is a disc problem or a 360 problem. I bought the game brand new off of Amazon and on the first night I went to play and tried to install, it would not read the disc. I took it out and checked it and it was fine with no scratches. I had to take the disc out a couple times before it worked and installed.

Since that first night about a week ago, I've encountered the same problem sporadically while trying to get the game to read off of the hdd.Each time I have had to solve it by taking the disc out and putting it back in and each time the disc looked as though it were in there correctly the first time.

I'm using a 360 (non-elite) that was purchased around Christmas of 2008, I treat this thing like a baby but given the 360's track record (I'm on my 3rd) it would not surprise me if it is the 360.

Anyone else in this thread experiencing disc read errors with RDR and 360?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
laughed said:
Not me personally, but like you, I've always rubbed my 360 with a diaper, kept it upright and well-ventilated on both sides, and generally treated it like a lady (it's my first, from 2007 -- a Jasper model), so I simply might be luckier than some folks.

It sounds like it might just be the particular disc you're using at the moment.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Don't jinx!

Also, I'm sure the waypoint system thought it was HUGELY funny to have my path take me across a bridge over a river that wasn't finished yet while running for my life from a posse of federal marshals.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I'm pretty certain it is a disc related issue now.

I took my copy of GTA4 which for some unknown reason to me is completely scratched (probably caused by the console judging by it's scratch pattern) and put it in. GTA4 is installed on my drive and when I put the disc in it was able to read it. RDR otoh is unscathed (at least to my eye) but seems to have a problem being initially ID'ed by the console.

I'm leaning towards disc problem now. However, I'm keeping the RROD death idea in the back of my head and have not ruled it out as a possible cause. I'm hoping to upgrade to a new Slim next week so I won't be on my 360 a lot until then. I'd like to trade it in to Gamestop and get the Slim and if it is at risk for RROD, I'd prefer to limit it's use so that it won't break before I trade it and get the Slim.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I finally bit the bullet last week and picked this up for the PS3. I've been loving it! My favorite exchange so far has been in the free roam. A friend was over giving it a try, I've been using the mule as the default horse, so when we get killed, we've been horse jacking guys. Anyways, a fellar comes trotting down a path that's a bit distant. My friends shouts "Shit! He's got a Palomino!" He lines him up and shoots, not realizing he has a shotgun and at that distance it's probably not going to do much. We hear the guy shout "Jumpin' Jehoshaphat's!" as he gets shot in the ass and goes careening past some rock. My friend and I are doubled over laughing as he runs the mule over to the rocks to get that horse. Ends up the old timer is not only not dead, but he's lined us up! He fires, killing the mule, but not before we can fill his chest with buckshot. We manage to grab that Palomino, but we're laughing to hard to do much anything else for the next 5 minutes.

It's entertainment like that which makes me wonder why more people don't play video games, they're missing out!

I'm a few missions into the solo game now. I try to be a good law abiding citizen, but find myself a crule one. Whenever I encounter horse jackers or robbers, I skin their horses on top of dealing with them. No mercy! I just got the rope last night, can you tie up the horses and take them into town to sell them or anything like that? My only complaint with Rockstar games like this are they are super open ended (which is great) but also a little vague unless you do stuff by accident. I'm trying not to carry too much of a bounty! :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks