What's new

Red Dead Redemption (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Sam Posten
Zombies in a pure western is shark jumping.
When they appear in DLC, I see them as the devs having fun with the game, and letting the fans into that fun, too. I strongly doubt that when RDR2 comes out, the zombies will be considered story canon.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Recently finally scored the "100% Completion" achievement for this game, and I tell you -- what a ride it was.

So many fond memories of this game already, I can see how even high-toned titles like Mass Effect 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Fable III are going to have extremely stiff competition when it comes to the year-end Game of the Year awards season.

I'll tell you what floored me. I was looking at the landscape through my binoculars, and saw out in the far, far distance, a herd of horses. As they trotted about, a train passed nearby and startled them, and they stampeded. It sounds so unexciting, but this was happening MILES away from where I was. It's just jaw-dropping.

In a game with countless bits of great dialogue, one of my favorites was from the Mexico missions: (SPOILERS)

John and Landon are talking to a group of locals, and everyone quickly draws guns on each other. John says, "There should be a name for this."

Best random "happy accident" so far – I was about 25% done with the game before I started to confront the bandit gangs that drag their victims. Before that, I'd usually see them in town, but it never occurred to me to try to stop them. One day on the road to Armadillo, they rode past me while I was flower-picking, and I decided to take 'em on. I fired a few shots to kill the one in the rear, and his partner stops his horse, turns around and says:
"YOU THINK YOU'RE TOUGH, DON'T Y--" **BOOM**
Both the bandit and his horse were obliterated by the train that happened to cross at that exact moment. The explosion of blood and horse parts was spectacular. It's an unbelievable bit of serendipity that I could never hope to recreate ever again.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Never make fun of Kim Bauer again. I'm only 29% in, but the cougar is the most dangerous and terrifying thing in the game. By far. If I'm on my horse and they are thoughtful enough to give a warning scream, I blindly race in any given direction. If they don't give a warning, the horse is usually dead pretty quickly. Their friend, the wolf, is no picnic either. I first encountered these things all the way across the map and was shocked to find out how close they also are to McFarlane's Ranch.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I asked in another thread, but I probably have a better chance of getting a response here. Can you get your horse back if it is stolen (and taken out of sight)? I know horses are pretty much disposable like cars in GTA, but I've stuck with the golden horse you break for Bonnie for hours now. I broke a faster silver horse, but I have developed a certain loyalty to this guy. Some dude knocked me off and took it before I knew what was happening, so I loaded a save. A prostitute then knocked me off, but I gunned her down before she was even fully in the saddle. I wish there was a way to save more wild horses, like by use of a stable or something. You should be able to sell a horse, too, so I could role-play a way of getting rid of a favorite horse without just jumping on a new one and saying, "See ya, horse."

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Basically, what ended up working for me was, if something ever happens to a particular breed of horse that you may like (for instance, I rode nothing but Hungarian Half-Breeds during the game's second half, if I could possibly help it), go to the appropriate general store and purchase the "deed" to that specific horse breed.

Then, if your horse gets shot and dies, or gets stolen, you only have to go into the sub-menu and "activate" the appropriate deed for the appropriate horse-breed, then whistle. And those deeds are good forever, BTW. Most of the "better" breeds are found down in Mexico, for the most part.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
How do you know what breed is what? I ended up purchasing a deed for that broken golden horse, but it was sheer coincidence.

What the hell?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Originally Posted by Sam Posten
Zombies in a pure western is shark jumping.
I'm really excited for the zombies. They already have cannibals in the game, so I'm alright with it getting really weird. They hint at all types of other world critters, and a single player story to go along with it. It sounds class to me. I'm still loving the game too, I've just opened up the Black Water area. I'm going really slow though, concentrating on side missions, strangers and those hunting/sharpshooter type things before doing the main quests. I'm scared I'll knock off all the main quests and not be able to complete the rest ha ha.

Anyone pick up the last DLC? the Tomahawk achievements are pretty tricky! I'm looking forward to the next DLC that will feature online poker and horse racing. Should be a blast. this is pretty much the perfect game, so many different things to do, and all of them done really well.

The cougars are a real pain in the game. The worst though is having a boar kill your horse with two bears chasing you, and on the death screen seeing a bobcat looming around too. I wish I was exaggerating!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I finished all the ambient challenges. The last few were fun. Though, I felt bad about Khan. Now, I guess I have no more distractions and can work on finishing the game. So far, I've only played one mission since opening Blackwater.

this is pretty much the perfect game, so many different things to do, and all of them done really well.

I would agree if not for the slowdown, which gets me down. Other than that, it's even better than the GTA games. Just having all these little activities all the time helps. It was really beautiful riding down from Aurora Basin earlier.

Question: I've never played multiplayer and don't care about it at present. I don't even have Gold. Is there any reason for me to buy the current DLC? I wouldn't mind extra animals and stuff, but are the new achievements for single players at all? I know the zombie stuff will be single-player. Sounds good to me.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm 42 hours in and the game is still impressive. I rode over the bridge from Mexico at night and was thinking, "You don't want to stop for anything around here. There are cougars about." Just then, a lady came running up asking for help returning her stolen cart. It was pretty tense backing the cart up to return it to her, knowing they were out there somewhere. Just as I returned it, there was a huge thunderclap and it started to rain. We were able to get out of there without being attacked, but it was just amazing riding through that area with the gorgeous thunderstorm. I'd love to go back in time and drop this game on my 1982, Atari Pac-Man-playing self.

Later, I was in Tall Trees hunting owls. I kept hearing them, but I've yet to find one in a tree. I almost got mauled by a bear in the hunt, but it's kind of zen-like to be couch-walking through the woods and then stopping for minutes at a time to scan the trees.

42 hours and I'm closing in on the end. By the time I was closing in on the end of GTAIV, I had 90+ hours under my belt. When I played Twilight Princess for 40 minutes recently, I had a great time but was ready for it to end when it did. This game, I wouldn't mind another 50 hours or so. My record gamplay time is with GTA:SA, where I think I calculated about 13 days worth of play time. That was my first open world game (well, Gun really was, but I didn't get the concept and just played the missions) and I've long considered it my favorite overall game. This one has surpassed it. You can't drive a car to any extreme of the map and just hop out and look around. You can do that on a horse.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I finished and am at 99.0%. I thought I just had to do some bounties and figure out how to make a couple of the locations show up (I'm listed as missing two West Elizabeth locales, and the last two safehouses count but didn't for me), but I bought one final map that I had somehow missed and got the achievement for finding every location. I don't think I have enough bounties left to make up the missing percent, so I'll finish them and try to figure it out from there.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I made it all the way up to 99.5% completion, and could not for the fricking life of me figure out just what in the hell I'd missed that could account for that missing 0.5%.
I thought it might be a glitch -- possibly the infamous "Deadly Assassin Outfit" glitch (the "Mo Van Barr" one). Yet, no recent update patches over Xbox LIVE seemed to fix the issue. So, in despair, I turned ONE LAST TIME to the online walkthoughs, when I finally came across the missing piece.
"Aztec Gold."
Comparing my completed Stranger missions list to the online one, this was the missing link -- I'd assumed that once you'd gotten the "Helped 15 Strangers" achievement, you'd done them all, but there's something like one or two others beyond that which go towards 100% completion.
Headed down to Rattlesnake Gulch, pinged the stranger on my gaydar, quickly wrapped up the missions, and the 100% achievement popped right as the sorry motherfucker was crying over his "gold" down in canyon (the final 0.5% I needed).
Man. But hell -- it's my first-ever 100%-ing a Rockstar game.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
360. You can friend me, but you'll have to let me know what to do. I've not really used the system for that yet. I was actually enjoying some MP last weekend, but they must have been having a "free weekend" special. It won't let me on now (I'm Silver).

I found the Gold guy when looking for a mine in Mexico. One of the campfire storytellers said there was an old mine outside of Escalera that was rumored to be haunted and was being used as a gang hideout. I never found it and don't think it exists, but it led me to that guy. That was a disappointing Stranger encounter. I would have loved new treasure hunt challenges, but the purple dots led me right to each chest.

I'm missing some bounties and the US Marshal uniform, which may make up the last ten percent. I'm worried about the locations, though. I'm showing that I have an extra one in New Austin and two missing in West Elizabeth, but I have not only found them all, but I got the achievement to prove it. I hope that counts more than the stats list. Unfortunately, the Social Club shows me missing Tanner's Span and Montana Ford. That is out-and-out bullshit. Finding the Cholla Springs map scrap in Armadillo is what gave me the achievement last night, but that's also an error. I bought it long ago. I think I bought it three times, and I know I used it. I'm worried I won't get the 100% because of this.

I think the 100% requirements are entirely reasonable with this game. Most of the requirements are met in the course of regular gameplay, whereas GTA has all of those stupid, impossible items you have to hunt for. I've gotten 100% in San Andreas several times by taking an afternoon and a printout, but I've not been willing to do it on any other GTA game.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Cool. By the way -- what's your userhandle again? I checked around, but couldn't find it, though I might've just missed it due to "blonde-moment" reasons.

Mine's "FiveToeEnema" -- if you want to add me that way, I'll definitely see it.

I found the Gold guy when looking for a mine in Mexico. One of the campfire storytellers said there was an old mine outside of Escalera that was rumored to be haunted and was being used as a gang hideout. I never found it and don't think it exists, but it led me to that guy. That was a disappointing Stranger encounter. I would have loved new treasure hunt challenges, but the purple dots led me right to each chest.

Yeah, you can't meet the guy until after you've completed all of the Luisa missions, but even then, the dude was so far to the south, I never even thought to take a detour through Sidewinder Gulch to go looking for him. If not for the online walkthrough, I never would've even known he existed.

I'm missing some bounties and the US Marshal uniform, which may make up the last ten percent. I'm worried about the locations, though. I'm showing that I have an extra one in New Austin and two missing in West Elizabeth, but I have not only found them all, but I got the achievement to prove it. I hope that counts more than the stats list. Unfortunately, the Social Club shows me missing Tanner's Span and Montana Ford. That is out-and-out bullshit. Finding the Cholla Springs map scrap in Armadillo is what gave me the achievement last night, but that's also an error. I bought it long ago. I think I bought it three times, and I know I used it. I'm worried I won't get the 100% because of this.

I bought a few of those map-fragments from the stores, but I ended up just pulling out the paper map that comes with the game and manually travelling to each location that was missing from my in-game map -- cross-comparison helped, there.

But shit...I sure hope there isn't some glitch working that's keeping you from getting those final few locations; as I said, there are some associated with bounty-hunting, but I think I got lucky.

I think the 100% requirements are entirely reasonable with this game. Most of the requirements are met in the course of regular gameplay, whereas GTA has all of those stupid, impossible items you have to hunt for. I've gotten 100% in San Andreas several times by taking an afternoon and a printout, but I've not been willing to do it on any other GTA game.

Oh, God...agreed. I got within 93 or 94% on San Andreas, and somewhere around the 91% mark on GTA IV, but it was incredible how much frigging time you have to block out in real life just to buckle down and just do all of those.

Compare those to Red Dead, where it only took me a week or so to get close to that 100% mark, and most of that was reasonable, logical stuff, like completing actual missions, winning mini-games, and breaking in horses. And shooting grizzly bears.

As opposed to, say, hunting pigeons. By the time I nailed those last pigeons in GTA IV, I was using a fucking rocket launcher on each one -- it's how Dad did it, it's how America does it, and it's a damn fine way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Okay, I sent a request. I'm Rasdock, by the way.

Yeah, when I saw the pigeon thing, I told whoever invented it to fuck themselves up the ass. I wasn't going to scour every square inch of that damn city. I learned the hard way from San Andreas how rough it can be even using a guide. The first time I played, I picked up every oyster I found and tagged every tag I saw. Then, when I went to use the guide, I'd go to half the places on the map and I had already gotten the damn thing. Subsequent plays, I left everything alone and then went area by area, marking through the ones on the map I had found. It's literally what you're going to be doing that night when you do it. Crazy.

Haven't made any further progress on RDR tonight. Went to a show and will have to plug away over the week.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Friended.

And it's funny you should mention using a map, yet still not having any luck with it -- I've used probably three different maps on Assassin's Creed to track down flags throughout the kingdom, and even then I'm still one flag short (99/100), which is blocking me from an achievement.

That last flag is still doing my nut.

Users who are viewing this thread