What's new

Southern Comfort 4K UHD Vinegar Syndrome (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Vinegar Syndrome has announced a 4K UHD of Southern Comfort for shipping this month. A truly nerve-wracking and atmospheric Walter Hill classic, it will finally get the transfer it deserves and we can discard the old US Shout! and UK Second Sight blu-rays, which look horrible. Ry Cooder's score is really great too, on par with his Paris, Texas soundtrack.

Vinegar Syndrome are also shipping a 4K restored blu-ray of cult favourite Red Rock West this month. The video quality on the UK version was very disappointing - it's the same one used for the Australian Umbrella blu-ray.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm happy to see this is coming to UHD but...

I HATE that Vinegar Syndrome and Arrow etc put their biggest titles out with a box & a book and drive up an already expensive price tag. I know it's the market today, I know that they eventually release a standard version, I know that licensing ain't cheap (that should be an argument against making the product even more expensive) and yes, I'm still going to buy it but I can't be the only person who would have bought a movie at $30 without a box and doesn't buy it at $50 with a box.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have this one coming. My first order from Vinegar Syndrome, of six titles as I recall. And I agree with Travis on the price, but I believe it is a "Partner" company releasing it. I forget which one, and I could be wrong. I thought they usually shipped pre-orders around now.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Vinegar Syndrome has announced a 4K UHD of Southern Comfort for shipping this month. A truly nerve-wracking and atmospheric Walter Hill classic, it will finally get the transfer it deserves and we can discard the old US Shout! and UK Second Sight blu-rays, which look horrible. Ry Cooder's score is really great too, on par with his Paris, Texas soundtrack.

Vinegar Syndrome are also shipping a 4K restored blu-ray of cult favourite Red Rock West this month. The video quality on the UK version was very disappointing - it's the same one used for the Australian Umbrella blu-ray.

I have both of those on the way, as well as eXistenZ. At least, they should be on the way, sometime. Not shipped yet, though.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I have this one coming. My first order from Vinegar Syndrome, of six titles as I recall. And I agree with Travis on the price, but I believe it is a "Partner" company releasing it. I forget which one, and I could be wrong. I thought they usually shipped pre-orders around now.
You won't regret it. I've yet to purchase a title from Vinegar Syndrome - either 4K UHD or blu-ray - which doesn't look really good. eXistenZ was amazing: a vast array of supplements and a first rate image throughout. And for those of you complaining about the price, it's always considerably worse for us over the pond....

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You won't regret it. I've yet to purchase a title from Vinegar Syndrome - either 4K UHD or blu-ray - which doesn't look really good. eXistenZ was amazing: a vast array of supplements and a first rate image throughout. And for those of you complaining about the price, it's always considerably worse for us over the pond....
Are you a subscriber? I'm wondering when my order will ship. It's been a week.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Not a subscriber. It says that these pre-orders will be shipped during January. In my experience, Vinegar Syndrome uses between 1-2 months to get their films to me, from when I pre-order. Their FedEx shipping is good.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not a subscriber. It says that these pre-orders will be shipped during January. In my experience, Vinegar Syndrome uses between 1-2 months to get their films to me, from when I pre-order. Their FedEx shipping is good.
Yet, you already received eXistenZ.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Yet, you already received eXistenZ.
Ah - but I placed the order immediately after the Black Friday weekend, when eXistenZ was announced! My order was in on 26th November, Vinegar Syndrome shipped it December 14th, I received it in my postbox December 29th.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ah - but I placed the order immediately after the Black Friday weekend, when eXistenZ was announced! My order was in on 26th November, Vinegar Syndrome shipped it December 14th, I received it in my postbox December 29th.
Wow, they really ship some pre-orders early. eXistenZ officially releases in two weeks, but you got it last month?

The one title I already have is Freeway, because it's already out and was on sale at Amazon, but I haven't looked at it yet. Other than that, I have Freeway II, eXistenZ, Southern Comfort, Red Rock West and one more title I just can't recall on order. Anxiously waiting for them to ship.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Wow, they really ship some pre-orders early. eXistenZ officially releases in two weeks, but you got it last month?

The one title I already have is Freeway, because it's already out and was on sale at Amazon, but I haven't looked at it yet. Other than that, I have Freeway II, eXistenZ, Southern Comfort, Red Rock West and one more title I just can't recall on order. Anxiously waiting for them to ship.
I received the VS release of eXistenZ on 29 December.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I have purchased a good amount of VS titles, and am intrigued by Red Rock West. Unfortunately I can’t find where their adult titles are available on the site (I have purchased a bunch of these through them).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm guessing everyone got the email from VS saying this month's pre-orders probably won't go out until next month.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis

It's the same old boring excuse: supply line issues causing delays. They got their shipments in late but now they're beginning to fulfill orders. Of course, subs get their shipments first followed by peasants. I no longer buy direct from them and instead buy from places like Orbit DVD who ship as early as 30 minutes after you place the order. That's mighty impressive. Imagine if all the bits and pieces that make up these fancy releases were made in the USA. There wouldn't be any delays.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks