What's new

Red Dead Redemption (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Review embargo is up. Sitting at 97 for Playstation and 98 for Xbox.
https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/9r98ko/red_dead_redemption_2_reviews_megathread/

The xbox looks better:

Things to know:
https://www.polygon.com/red-dead-redemption-2-guide/2018/10/25/18014854/beginners-guide-tips

Xbox 1X Fallout 76 Digital and RDR for $469. Don't wait for Black Friday, get this now:
https://slickdeals.net/f/12157672-x...wMysJt_ajVsBSbnM2x3hENBHBBUwo3wxb6AAmo7kgIE9k

Or this for $439. Personally I'd rather get F76 but YMMV
https://www.reddit.com/r/GreatXboxD...x_one_x_1tb_nba_2k19_console_bundle_red_dead/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Some new some repeats

• Holding start brings up the map straight away.

• Holding circle/B in a menu/shop catalogue lets you exit straight away

• Double tapping L1/LB lets you do a cool trick when you put away your gun

• Holding R2/RT lightly allows you to draw into deadeye

• Pressing up with a gun in your hand allows you to shoot into the air to scare predators away

• Tapping left on the d-pad brings up a task list of requests, hunting challenges etc

• Holding down lets you have quick-access to radar options (expanded, normal, compass, off)

• Likewise, pressing down quickly brings up information on the screen if the map is off etc. Great for them full screen immersions!

• If you press x/A in time with your horse's gallops, you won't use as much stamina, this apparently also works when Arthur is on foot

• Waypoints can be enabled from the settings, I'm pretty sure they're disabled by default? Which is odd (Display settings)

• Toggle to run in the settings lets you just tap x/A once to keep running (still have to tap to sprint) *If you keep x/A held whilst going into the cinematic camera view, you don't need to hold run anymore, and with a waypoint active, your horse will follow the route
That's about everything I can think of off of the time of my head, lemme know if you've got any others!

Edit:

• Using the ledger in camp, after Dutch's tent has been upgraded (might be worth doing this early since more people begin to contribute), Arthur's tent can be upgraded to enable fast travel ($260)

• The lasso is great and can be used for a multitude of things

• You can lasso witnesses without losing honour/being caught

• Lassoing large animals lets you keep them in place and get in close for a (albeit pretty brutal) knife kill without damaging the animal

• Pressing down whilst in first person will enable iron sights

• Crouching whilst crawling up a steep incline may help with grip and stop Arthur from falling over

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Sooo you're a bit interested in this title Sam? :rolling-smiley:

I'm saving it for next summer when I get my 4K theater set up. It should have lots of nice patches by then too.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure how this happened but I have lost interest in RDR2. I decided not to buy it:(-- Probably because I'm currently shuffling between 2 titles right now, and they are both really fun (Forza Horizon 4, Lego DC Super Villains).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm not sure how this happened but I have lost interest in RDR2. I decided not to buy it:(-- Probably because I'm currently shuffling between 2 titles right now, and they are both really fun (Forza Horizon 4, Lego DC Super Villains).

I'm kinda in the same boat. Looking forward to playing it, but I can wait for the "GAME OF THE YEAR" edition to come out in a year or two and hit a sale before jumping in. I have zero interest in any online component, I want to play the story and don't need to play it right now at full price.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Same. I have games I haven't even opened yet. Plus that I tend to play games until the "bitter end". It all doesn't help with the title throughput. But RDR2 is definitely a game I'm going to play. (Whereas Fallout 76 is one I definitely won't.)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I spent some time watching my friend play this tonight.
He made a special trip over my house with his XBONE to show me how great this game is. Going on bounty hunting missions, and legendary hunts seems to be awfully fun(who needs the main story?).
The game looked freaking gorgeous on my TV.

I kindly called him an evil bastard for showing me--he knows I didn't want to buy any more games this year--so I guess next paycheck I'm getting this game now.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I got about an hour into the “tutorial” and completely lost interest. Dull, tedious, painfully boring are the only ways in which I can describe it. The game is more of a chore than anything. Hold “X” to follow so and so. Hold “X” to keep pace. Tap “X” to speed up. Hold “R1” to slow down. Muck about the poorly designed inventory system and get the shotgun off your horse.

I really can’t believe this game is getting such great reviews. Too bad too, as I was really looking forward to it and it was one of the chief reasons I bought my PS4. I would put RDR2 in the trade-in pile but it was bundled with the system so no game shop will buy it. Oh well, I guess I’m going back to play more Spider-Man.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I got about an hour into the “tutorial” and completely lost interest. Dull, tedious, painfully boring are the only ways in which I can describe it. The game is more of a chore than anything. Hold “X” to follow so and so. Hold “X” to keep pace. Tap “X” to speed up. Hold “R1” to slow down. Muck about the poorly designed inventory system and get the shotgun off your horse.

I really can’t believe this game is getting such great reviews. Too bad too, as I was really looking forward to it and it was one of the chief reasons I bought my PS4. I would put RDR2 in the trade-in pile but it was bundled with the system so no game shop will buy it. Oh well, I guess I’m going back to play more Spider-Man.

My friend beat the game and he was absolutely underwhelmed with it. I was going to pick it up after all, and he told me to "wait until it is cheap" he thought the story was just ok. and the gameplay especially the horse mechanics were a chore to deal with. he said the realism and repetition hurt the game the most. He also said the positive, and perfect reviews had him puzzled. He gave the game high marks for the graphics, but fun factor and actual gameplay he overall gave the game a letter grade of "C". I decided to get the PS VR instead of buying this game, and I am really glad I did.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Clint: Actually, GameStop will buy/trade bundled titles. I know the game cases say something on the back, like not for separate sale or such...but that's for new; used is OK to sell separately (they'll unseal the title to make it "used" if you haven't).

Did you play RDR(1), and if so, is RDR2 that different? I find the first couple hours of almost every game really frustrating. That's probably one of the reasons I don't tend to like really short games.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I didn’t play RDR1, only Red Dead Revolver which was one of the worst games I have ever played. I know RDR1 & 2 are a completely different type of game than Revolver, but there’s no reason or point of a multi-hour tutorial with clunky mechanics and overly complicated controls.

I didn’t know GameStop took bundles games now. They didn’t used to here.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ I bet you'd really hate the Moves in Skyrim VR! Talk about complicated controls, or taking a peripheral device to places it probably shouldn't be...

They started taking bundled games here after they started doing it in the U.S., some years ago. But yeah, they didn't always, new vs old for sale is important legally (which was the original sticking point).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Four years after the last post, I finally picked this up on sale. I loved the first one, this one is growing on me. I'm very slowly going through it trying to fully get my head around the simulation aspects. Mainly hunting. It feels overly complex compared to the first one, so I can see why some are turned off by it. I don't play online, I have a feeling that's where the real fun is.

I don't hate it, and I'm not bailing on it. Last night I ran into a wagon hold up where a gang had killed the wagoner. I killed the gang, got the wagon to sell to the fence. Arrived at the fence and some dumb dumb rode right in front of me and I ran them over horse and all. It turned into a whole thing with a shoot out. When it was done. The wagon was gone. Couldn't find it anywhere. I reloaded the last autosave, no different only now my perfect rabbit pelt that I needed for a hunting bounty is also gone. I like this kind of random interaction, I don't like it nerfing what I was doing. A wagon can't just disapear.

I know this came out a while ago, but this kind of glitch nonsense shouldn't be happening anymore. 20-30 minutes just flat out wasted because I forgot to save every 5 minutes. I know that's just the way it is, but it's a bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks