What's new

Red Dead Redemption (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
Edwin may have a point there. Some other games look better on PS3, but with Rockstar the 360 versions seem to be superior.

Agreed.

The major factor that Rockstar is undoubtedly dealing with, here, is the fact that TVs only accept a finite number of input-resolutions. The most typical are: 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i/p. What some games do (Halo 3, CoD4, GTA IV on PS3, and, apparently, this) is take a lower-rendered resolution at 640p, and scale it up to a resolution that it can then send on to your TV.
So, as far as the TV knows, it's getting 720p of picture, but those pixels actually just consist of a lower resolution image stretched to fill that range. This either happens because rendering at a higher resolution takes too much space, or too much time (processing).
For the PS3, the issue is usually memory. Due to the system architecture, it only has 256MB of main memory, and something like 20-30MB of that is taken up by the OS (at least). So they're left trying to fit a massive game like Red Dead Redemption into something like 200MB of memory. The 360 is a bit more flexible with how its memory can be used (it has 512 MB that can be split in any fashion between the graphics card and the main CPU), so it's easier for developers to get the space they need.
An interesting thing about the PS3 is that it doesn't have a dedicated chip to handle just that scaling. The graphics card is capable of doing it, but unlike the 360, which can use its chip to scale to a bunch of different resolutions at no cost to the graphics card, the PS3 doesn't have that capability (which is why we still have people who complain that the PS3 can't output to 1080i).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Microsoft bought GTAIV's downloadable content exclusivity window. This, along with the bigger install base of the 360 at the time, led to more sales. Contrary to that, FFXIII and SSFIV each sold noticeably better on the PS3. In short, I don't think Rockstar is cutting corners on the PS3 versions, they're just optimizing each version as much as they can with the time they have. The PS3 has more sophisticated architecture and can do more than the 360, but takes more time and effort to efficiently use. It's not worth making the PS3 version exactly 100% equal to the 360 version if it's going to take that much more time and effort, so getting it to appear the same as the 360 version (to a perceptible degree) is good enough.

Sorry for the thread derail. This really should be about the quality of the game and not minor details differentiating the two versions.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Quote:
stallion said:
/forum/thread/295478/red-dead-redemption#post_3693194
Microsoft bought GTAIV's downloadable content exclusivity window. This, along with the bigger install base of the 360 at the time, led to more sales. Contrary to that, FFXIII and SSFIV each sold noticeably better on the PS3. In short, I don't think Rockstar is cutting corners on the PS3 versions, they're just optimizing each version as much as they can with the time they have. The PS3 has more sophisticated architecture and can do more than the 360, but takes more time and effort to efficiently use. It's not worth making the PS3 version exactly 100% equal to the 360 version if it's going to take that much more time and effort, so getting it to appear the same as the 360 version (to a perceptible degree) is good enough.

Sorry for the thread derail. This really should be about the quality of the game and not minor details differentiating the two versions.
This is what I mean by cutting a corner. To do the job properly for the PS3 means developing the game basically from scratch, instead they try to do a port based on the XBOX version. Since the XBOX version sells the most units, Rockstar is not interested in expending the time or money to do the job properly for the PS3. Adequate is good enough in their minds. IMO, the XBOX version itself is pushing the limits of the console. I've noticed a number of draw-in issues in the time I've played. They are minor but noticeable when they happen.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Same thing happened to me, but I decided to whistle for my horse. I didn't even really think about it -- I just pushed the button. My horse proceeded to buck the guy off its back, and galloped right back to me. Poor schmuck picked the wrong horse to hijack.

It makes me laugh when you skin a skunk, and your horse just takes off running, away from the smell. Anyone pop by the Movie House in Armadillo yet? The "Medicine Man" flick is hilarious. That's what I love about Rockstar's open-world games. They spend so much time on little things that are unimportant to the story, but which really enhance the overall world.

The one thing missing from this game so far: the ability to hang criminals and ne'er-do-wells from trees. The cannibal living in the hills deserved a worse fate than the 20-minute dragging-by-horseback I gave him.

At least you can hogtie 'em, and put 'em on the railroad tracks. (There's a little red icon on the map that tells you exactly where the train is at that particular moment.)

I haven't done very many missions so far, just a few at the ranch, and a couple for the Marshal (the canyon cattle-rustler shootout is frigging awesome). Mostly, I've just been riding around, marveling at the sights...and shooting all the wildlife that crosses my path.

Hey, Edwin, what's your LIVE userhandle? If I'm in multiplayer some time, here, we could get a posse going. I already have Sam Posten's handle (mine's "FiveToeEnema").

I hate rabbits. Fleet-footed, hoppy little bastards. SLOW THE FUCK DOWN SO I CAN SHOOT YOU.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I still don't have my copy (first time Amazon has EVER failed me!) and this weekend is going to be hard to squeak time in to play, but I will hopefully have a few hours here and there. Shoot Kadath an invite if you see me on!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, I went ahead and sent ya a friend-request yesterday (I think it was) -- I plan on doing some multiplayer this weekend, in between this and Alan Wake. Last night, I got into a Free Roam game with a few other folks. We laid siege to a small Mexican town, barricaded ourselves in a building, and fought off the Mexican army for over an hour.

Another time, I tried to stop a guy from stabbing a whore to death. Didn't get there in time, but blew the guy away, anyways. Then, wanting a little sum-sum, y'know, for the trouble, I was in the midst of looting the corpses when I heard a shocked voice behind me say, "He killed her." And the reckoning began. I love this damn game.
(And for those who haven't tried it yet: Train-vs.-horse? Train wins.)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Lmao, cool. Added you back I think.

Ok finally got my copy, installed to hard drive, got my golden guns and gentleman's outfit.

I have a second golden guns code if anyone has a different one for trade, preferably the bullet time one.

How do you get all the way back to main menu to add more dlc without restarting?

Kadath on 360 if any posses need folks in multiplayer!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
For that, just hit your center "symbol"/power button on your controller, tab over to the "Marketplace" blade, then select "Redeem Code" (or words to that effect). There, you can enter Microsoft codes without ever leaving the main game, or reverting back to the LIVE home menu.

I'm still waiting on my "Golden Guns" pre-order code from Amazon -- I received all of my Alan Wake DLC bonus codes today, but my Red Dead codes still haven't shown up yet in my inbox. Might have to write them to see what's going on.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hi. Sorry, I don't have one since I'm not on live. Console's set up in the living room with no convenient hard wire connection to the net. The built-in wireless on the PS3 was only one of the reasons why I bought the system. In Canada, the wireless add-on for the XBOX 360 was another 120 bucks. I couldn't justify the cost. I also kind of suck at on-line gaming, because the majority of it is run-and-gun. If you are not always moving you get wiped out. I still cannot figure out how a lot of guys can get a bead on a person so quick. A lot of these guys seem to be able to put three shots into me before I can so much as get lined up. I tend to up as dead meat all the time. I can't put the hours in to get really good at online play. I also tend to favour single player modes, because I can take my time looking a situation over. Still, maybe one of these days I'll give it a shot. Thanks for asking, though.

Originally Posted by joshEH
Hey, Edwin, what's your LIVE userhandle? If I'm in multiplayer some time, here, we could get a posse going. I already have Sam Posten's handle (mine's "FiveToeEnema").

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Oh, hey, it's all cool -- I enjoy online multiplayer myself, but it's true that there are hundreds or even thousands of other Halo, Rainbow Six, and Call of Duty/Modern Warfare fans that never bother to play the single-player campaigns, and spend their little "FPS Doug" lives mindlessly fragging 24/7, missing out on half the experience.

One of the biggest problems with online multiplayer is that you can't just play it casually. When you played with friends, you used to be able to just come over and hang out once in a while. Now, it's pretty much impossible to play multiplayer for a game unless you spend every waking moment on it, because there are too many people out there who have no lives and will destroy you because of their far superior experience.

Also, the attitude-problems of way too many immature 15- or 20-year-olds doesn't help, either. That's why I rather enjoy a good and lengthy single player game, instead. And yeah, lately, many a studio has caught the "Modern Warfare" bug: producing forgettably-short single player components to their games while focusing too damn much on the multiplayer.

Many of those Halo 3 "generals" ARE generals because, IMO, they have no life, spending far too many hours becoming insanely good at the game, and letting you know it with trashtalk and a 5/0 score spread at the end of the match. But for what, exactly? Fame and glory? Uh-huh. A meaningless digital badge won't give them that, unless they all strive for MLG "greatness," or something. But hey, whatever rocks their boat...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Video review and console comparos up:
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/red-dead-redemption/11275

And then there is THIS:
http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/red-dead-redemption-dastardly/344657

"That's just WRONG"

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Wow...not turn this into a console-war, or anything, but...pretty much what we've heard, concerning the differences between the two versions. The Xbox 360 version definitely looks noticeably sharper, but that video more or less puts it all into focus, so to speak.

(That said, I've seen several of those comparison-pieces where the PS3 version of a particular game comes out ahead, but it seems that the Xbox version of Red Dead is still probably the one to get.)

This just in -- the brand new Red Dead Redemption: Animal Holocaust DLC pack will add more than 30 new species into the game for the player to systematically wipe out. Highlights include: endangered monkeys, sloths, koala bears, Iberian lynxes, African elephants, dolphins, baby puppies, and rabid manatees.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
One thing I haven't seen posted here is that there is an exclusive Gang Hideout and an additional outfit for the PS3 version. These aren't the same as any pre-order bonus, so the only way (for now) to get them is to have the PS3 version.

Personally, even though I own both consoles (and a Wii that literally collects dust), I purchased it for the PS3 because I strongly dislike the 360 controller, and I can't stand how loud the system is (compared to the PS3, that is). The graphics are definitely slightly better on the 360, especially the shadows and the draw distance. Some of the colours look a little more accurate on the PS3 (in those videos), but I would still put the 360 version higher on the graphics scale.

However, browsing the Penny Arcade forums, it seems the 360 multiplayer is not as stable as the PS3, so for the time being, the MP experience is far more enjoyable on the PS3.

In the end, this isn't the best-looking game on either console (even though it's kick-ass), so just buy it on the system you prefer for whatever reasons you like. I tend to stick to the PS3 for most games (even when games are clearly better-looking on the 360), and just bring out the 360 for exclusives, like Mass Effect and Alan Wake (which I'll be cracking open after I 100% RDR).

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Although, if you install all of your Xbox 360 games to the hard drive, the system is practically as quiet as a whisper (or, at least, no louder than the already-pretty-silent PS3).

Speaking of 100%-ing RDR, it's gonna take me awhile before I finally nail that particular achievement, between various games and other stuff. But yeah...it's 100G that's on my target-list, possibly by summer's end. But maybe not.

We'll see.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Loving this game. The only problem I have with it is that I can't decide what I want to do. Exploring is awesome, poker is addicting, hunting is fun, missions are varied. I'm constantly torn trying to decide what I want to do next. That's not a knock at the game, but rather a testament to how great the total package is.

I decided to pull away from Blackwater, and went back to Armadillo last night. Took up a pretty high-priced bounty. Roped the guy in, took off from his posse. Posse ends up shooting him off the back of my horse. Got everything settled, headed off to the Marshal. I deliver the corpse, then my horse suddenly drops dead from a snake bite. Because I had collected a bounty, the game saved.
I stood there for three or four minutes mourning my horse.

Also, has anyone else seen the pissing prospector? I see him all over the place. The guy's got a serious problem. I did finally see him using the bathroom in the Armadillo saloon last night, after poker.

He didn't close the door or anything, but, hey, progress.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
My only problem with the game at the moment is the disparity in experience between single-player and multiplayer, when it comes to gunplay. The single-player campaign seems to emphasize care and patience. You have time to make your shots count, and often you're rewarded for being methodical and even-handed.

It’s a game where you have to think about what you’re doing in a fight, and I like the pace of it. Playing it in Free Roam last night, fighting the law in Armadillo, showcased how it's impossible to be methodical in multiplayer -- it's very run-and-gunny.

(On a completely different note, I had no idea that the soundtrack was largely written by two members of Friends of Dean Martinez. That's really fucking cool.)

While in multiplayer last night, I was about to lob some TNT into a church, and then realized I'd cooked it too long, and that the fuse had worn out.

Ended up Arzt-ing myself right out the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks