What's new

Receiver impact? (1 Viewer)

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I'm in the learning stages so bear with me. I know it's important to put money toward quality speakers & good CD player. How important is the receiver? Will music sound better depending on the receiver? I'm mostly interested in a dedicated music system rather than home theater right now.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Speakers are the most important thing, sound quality wise. Most decent receivers over a few hundred dollars will have little effect on sound quality, unless perhaps the speakers are an especially demanding load or the amplifiers have low power. I think you’re going to have a hard time finding a dedicated CD player anymore.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well I've been out of the HT game for a while and now that I am back into it, I recall my first set up that changed drastically years ago when I changed from my speakers from Sony bookshelf speakers to Platinum Audio (way back when). I ran the Platinum Audio speaker on the Kenwood AVR 202 receiver for awhile then I upgraded to the Harmon Kardon AVR 500 and that produced far more sound from the speakers than the Kenwood receiver.

All that to say, I think the better the receiver, the more you will get out of your speakers.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I mostly agree with Wayne, but I'll tweak my answer to be that after a certain quality threshold a receiver probably won't make you audio sound better, but it may make it sound different. For instance, I was using an Onkyo receiver and liked the sound. I switched to a Marantz receiver and did not like to the sound as much; it sounded more "flat" or "dead". I don't think the Marantz was bad, I just didn't like it as much. I switched to a Yamaha and all was well again.

That said, I completely agree that speakers are far and away have the most impact on a system's sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks