What's new

Please Kill me, I'm an idiot. (2 Viewers)

It will fit through the window, just have to take out the window panes (the part that comes out easy). Old house, so huge windows. I'm trying to figure out if I can do it with some friends. If I can build a ramp from the garage roof to the second floor (6ft tall) then I'd be set. I don't know how I would do this though. The TV is in the basement now, so time is no longer an issue. It can sit there indefinately. I could try to trade it in for a smaller one, but don't know how much money I would lose on the trade in. I really like the tv. I would love to figure out how to get it into my place without getting rid of it. Getting it in with some friends would be a no brainer if I could lighten it by 50-100lbs. Will try new ideas this weekend.

RobertSing

Agent
Is anybody else out there completly fascinated by this thread? Mike - I hope it works out for you. Please keep us posted.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Well, I am going to chime in for perhaps the last time and say, pay the $300 for the company to hoist it if you really want the TV. If they damage it, they are responsible for it. This is the least intrusive option mentioned thus far other than parting with the TV.

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
Have to admit lurking on this thread, kinda like one of those train wrecks or other disasters you see on TV and watch in morbid fascination. Glad to see Mike's hanging in there with grit and determination, clinging to his big screen dreams and battling evil stairways, banisters and hoists. :D

Seriously, I think most of us can totally empathize with how Mike feels. BTW if you build a ramp don't forget a ramp in the room on the inside of the window!

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
Haha damn great thread i agree with Neil pay to get the SOB hoisted not worth the risk doing it yourself.

Page

Stunt Coordinator
JackS wrote:

I don't see how this benefits you in any way. Toshiba will just try to repair the set (and probably be successful) and you'll still have the same sized set. Also, you might end up really damaging your set and then you'll get caught in a repair loop with Toshiba, waiting for them to repair it. So, by this method, you'll end up with a TV that doesn't work--a TV you can't easily sell or trade back because you damaged it.

BUT...JackS's post made me think of something.

Mike, have you even TRIED plugging the set in and making sure it works properly? It seems rather silly to go through all this and then find out (way too late) that you have a defective set sitting in your second story apartment.

(No offense, Mike, but today is April 1st. If you post a message later tonight that says, "April Fools", I'd understand. But if you don't even plug in the set to see if the TV is operational before hiring moving men, building ramps, removing banisters, dismantling the TV, or making your buddies suffer hernias, etc...WELL THAT I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND.

Hal_J

Agent
mike,

dont listen to these people, they think inside the box. :) think about the problem from a different angle - you can either work hard to move the tv *in,* or move yourself *out.* how serious is your lease? i think you ought to put the tv in a storage unit for a month and find a new place to live.

:)

good luck

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmmm... He might have to think outside the city (NYC), not just outside the "box". :D Probably not too easy to find an apartment in the city so he can move the big TV in...

_Man_

Thomas Nichols

Stunt Coordinator
This is a fascinating thread. I cannot wait to see how it turns out. Just a few more days until Mike gets home...

Mike, I think I speak for everyone when I say...I hope you take pictures when you finally move this TV into your apt.

I don't want to move, my apartment kicks butt (but I did honestly consider the possability). Yes, I did test if it worked last weekend, infact I camped out in the hall for two hours watching DVD movies using extention cords running from the basement. I took a day break on figuring out what to do, but today I'm going to start calling again. I really think the best idea is the ramp from the garage roof. It seems the safest and the cheapest (I really don't like the idea of suspending my TV from 20 feet in the air by ropes and a crane). Plus $600 is absurd. I really don't want to spend more than $300. I have an offer for $375, but I don't remember how they thought they were going to do it. More on this after the weekend or during.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Mike, don't feel too bad about your situation. I live in a house w/a fairly large basement & the 53" Panasonic 16:9 TV I bought from OneCall a while ago was quite tricky to move there given the narrow stairway & landing. The delivery guys made me sign the waiver before they were willing to attempt it. Luckily, the TV made it down, but had the stairway walls been 1/2" narrower, I'd have been out of luck.

Hope your story has a happy ending! :)

Jim_P

Stunt Coordinator
Mike:

Let me be sure I've got the visual on this.

Soon to be past friends try to walk the TV from the garage(and how do we get it to the roof of the garage) to a second story window via ramp without anyone dieing.

You sure you're not trying for the Darwin award??

Your better options are:

a.trade for a smaller set
b.trade for a larger set that will come apart.
c.trade apartments
d.move elsewhere
e.sell the set for what you can getand forget about this episode of your life.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen a thread quite like this before. Hoisting an RPTV into an apartment with a crane? Wow.

Sorry, but I'd get a smaller set. I might have taken the size of my apartment and the access to said apartment into consideration before plunking down the money with an e-tailer that doesn't have a return policy.

Blair Gifford

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to hear about all your bad luck. Wish I could help, but I can't. So hang in there and Good luck.

My advice is to get another tv. Don't take any more risks.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
I say go with a smaller set and be done with it so you dont have to do the reverse when you move. The peace of mind of not having to ever deal with this kind of situation would be worth it to me. Plus no fatalities ;)

Vern.S

Grip
I had a friend in a similar situation once. When he got separated from his first wife . . . He rented a small upstairs apartment and then went out and bought a large RPTV. When he brought it home, he called some of his friends to help get it inside. No dice at all with the tiny stairwell going upstairs. One friend suddenly showed up unexpectedly with a van full of scaffolding. He proceeded to slam the scaffolding together in no time and with a small pulley and some very strong rope, up came the TV. A strong platform held up three guys who handed the TV in through a disassembled window to three more guys inside.

I think that he sold the TV to the landlord when he moved out. The landlord stopped renting the small apartment and has himself quite a "mantown" now!

Vern S

Bruce-E

Stunt Coordinator
Why not call a construction that does brick and block work.Ask if they have a forklift that they use for lifting block.These forklifts run on large rubber tires and can tilt the beam forward over the gargage and into the window.Put the tv on a pallet,if you don't have the one that came with it,the const. company can find one.With the weather thy are probally slow now.You can rent these forklifts and have them delivered if you or someone you know can operate it.Most const companies will do it for the challenge and the equipment is sitting not making them any money.If you can find a const site ask the forklift operater about doing it on the side. Be sure to secure the tv to the pallet and cover it.Hope this helps.

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
Best idea yet! I have been thinking hydrolics of some sort this whole time but haven't been able to put a finger on it. Great thinking Bruce. Go to a construction site and offer the foreman a hundred bucks (maybe start at fifty-first and a case of BEER-after!) These guys love a challenge. Some good strong rope or straps/tie-downs and a pallet ought to do the trick. Strap that baby on and build a smaller ramp for the inside of the window. Get a few of your friends to help at the window and you're off. Keep in mind though, that forklift guy will not assume any liability for this so make sure you are the one in charge. I cast my vote for the forklift, don't give up. Great thread though. Best of luck to you. MM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks