What's new

Ozzie & Harriet (1 Viewer)

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I'm cautiously optimistic about this news, kind of a good news/bad news update from Sam. If I read this right, the good news is that the first 80 episodes (2 seasons) of the show are being transferred using the KickStarter funds under the auspices of the UCLA Archive, as he noted. (These are my favorite episodes of the series, these first 2 seasons). However, in addition to the cuts he noted, it sounds like there is no plan in place currently to fund the remaining seasons. He indicated that after they do a distribution deal at some point with a bigger company (very likely in my opinion that this could happen), he is hopeful about getting the rest of the episodes restored. It's this part that concerns me. It sounds like if no deal comes through, the rest of the series beyond the first 2 seasons will not be transferred (or presumably released as a result). I guess 2 complete seasons are better than none, certainly (and I'm thrilled about this news!), but the idea that the remaining episodes may not get released is unfortunate. Fingers crossed!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
My thanks to Sam too. kickstarter was a great idea. I have mixed releases of episodes on various collections containing other shows, but I sure treasure these. Sounds like they are going to get us something worthy. I know a complete unedited is what we want but if it's unavoidable to have a few here and there that are unedit that will be okay with me. I'll buy this complete set in a minute (well, when I have the money). Can't wait for a peek at what's coming. Some youtube clips would make me giddy.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
On a somewhat related note, while watching the newly released Bridget Loves Bernie set, I saw Ozzie and Harriet had a cameo in one of the episodes, and Ozzie directed at least three.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Sam Nelson update (4-16-13)
Hey everyone,
Well, in the blink of an eye, its already been a couple months since my last update. How is it that time goes faster as you get older. Seems like it should be the other way around somehow.
Last month was a busy month, not only with reward send outs, but also with working out an agreement with UCLA. As expected, its been a bit of a slow process (lots of red tape on their end), but I'm happy to announce that we should have things formalized by the end of this week. From there, the digitizing will start immediately. I will personally oversee it all, and get some video footage to share with you as soon as possible.
I have one other exciting development, but will wait until next time to spill the beans.
I hope everyone is well and healthy and that 2013 has been fantastic so far.
More soon
Sam

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'm still not ready to get my hopes up too high, but some news is better than no news at all.

Gary "I do 'hope' Sam Nelson can pull this off, and hearing that UCLA is involved in the restoration is a huge positive - but I'm going to remain guarded in my enthusiasm until we hear something more concrete" O.

jetskier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
John, THANKS! for posting Sam's update. I've really been anxious to hear about the status of the project. It sounds like Sam is really trying to do this release correctly and not trying to rush it. I do have some concerns though.

Now, I'm certain that Sam has already received MUCH "advice" on how the series should be manufactured and presented, but that's GOOD ! I'm also thinking that this board could give some appropriate suggestions. After a few days, if you John, could organize the info in my "Open Letter" (in part or whole) PLUS any upcoming posts and forward them to Sam, it may help make the release a little better.

----------------------------------------------

Open Letter To Sam Nelson & Family:

I'm R-E-A-L-L-Y looking forward to this release. I want to thank you personally, Sam, for being the "git 'er done" member of the Nelson family. You are going to make 10's of thousands of people very happy!

I'm sure you've already had MUCH "advice" on how the series should be manufactured and presented, but I've always believed that it can make a product better when you hear from the actual people who are going to buy it. I have some preferences and concerns too.

Cutting To The Chase:

PLEASE.....

1) Do not use any of the edited, syndication episodes where 4-5 minutes were cut out.

2) Do not allow the manufacturer to put program material on both sides of the discs. There was such an outcry when Universal started doing this, that I think they've stopped it and now only press material on 1 side of a disc.

3) I would like to see the original commercials but NOT imbedded in the episodes as originally aired. All commercials should be at the end of each episode after the ending credits (or) all of them on a "bonus" disc. Also, if the same, identical commercial ran during several of the episodes, there's no need to duplicate that commercial at the end of all of the episodes for which it ran - just include it 1 time only, please, at the end of the episode which it first ran.

4) Do not make a deal with MPI - I can't stand this company after they screwed up some of the Honeymooners Lost Episodes (AND) the Beverly Hillbillies that Paul Henning released (not the 2 official seasons that Paramount released).

On the Honeymooners Lost Episodes, they tried to cover up some film deterioration on the edges of the frame by zooming in so tight that they cut off all or most of some of the other actors in the scene.....stupid and shameful !!!

On the Beverly Hillbillies, they took out the Christmas episodes from the 2 released volumes and put them in a separate package just to make the public spend more money so they make more profit - greedy jackasses. NO reputable company would do such a thing!

5) TAKE YOUR TIME......No matter how long it takes, find all of an episode's film elements and do the highest quality transfer that todays technology allows for Standard Definition (and possibly HD). You only want to have to do this once !

IF 5) above IS done and 1), 2), 3) & 4) AREN'T done, then I'd be willing to spend up to $50.00 per season - almost twice what most complete, unedited seasons go for. I'll also buy the 1st two seasons, or how ever many you initially release, immediately, and NOT wait until they go on sale a year or so down the road!

Again, thanks for your insight to start this project and your perseverance to see it to the finish. I can imagine that it's not easy.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I would like to have the option to see the original commercial within the episode. I loved the fact that The Lucy Show had that option. I prefer seeing the show as it was originally broadcast.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Jetskier,

14a5ua.jpg
All excellent points. I agree with #3. I like original ads but as a menu option. One of the main reasons that I collect TV/DVD's is to watch episodes without commercials in the episodes.

Cool moniker :)
125g75l.jpg

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Somehow the commercial add so much for the show. I'm usually not that way with commercials, but the difference here is that the family is doing them. Kind of like the ones they included with Andy (which I LOVED) I'd like the option of watching the shows with the commercials inserted as that sort of used to air originally.

Man, I can't wait to see what these look like!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Bob_S. said:
I would like to have the option to see the original commercial within the episode. I loved the fact that The Lucy Show had that option. I prefer seeing the show as it was originally broadcast.
Agree 100%. The whole point of the commercials is to see the show as it ORIGINALLY AIRED. You get the experience as if you are back in time and watching the show as if you were there.

I love reading the posts and how people are writing to tell this guy what to do and how to do it. Opinions are like mothers - everybody has one. Other than some basic ideas, such as chapter stops and timing, which Timeless still hasn't figured out how to do yet, 100 people will have 100 different ideas on presentation. Oh, and I'll tell you right now, if you are expecting these shows to not have any cuts or alterations, such as an on-screen bug, then you're dreaming. The series is PD and there's no way they can put it out without doing something to alter it. Otherwise anyone in the world can just copy it and sell it. As for the music, if they ever get that far in, that could be a big problem with clearance costs. But that's years down the road before they get to those seasons.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I'm not crazy at what MPI did with The Beverly Hillbillies in splitting them up among 3 different releases (two collector's editions and the Christmas DVD) but it's a darn sight better than what CBS HE has did with Seasons 4-9 which is nothing.

I, for one, would rather see the commercials integrated into the shows themselves. I can't stand the way MPI did it by making the commercials as extras. I much prefer the way CBS HE did it integrating them as part of the episode.

Here's for hoping the whole series of Ozzie and Harriet come out!!!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
if they are gonna embed old commercials within the episode itself, there should definitely be an option to exclude them.

this satisfies everyone. they already do that with many dvds, regarding commentary on an episode.

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in as very much wanting the original commercials included within the episodes. Getting as close to the original broadcast experience as possible brings one even closer to the specific time and era which the show represents.

If it is relatively easy and inexpensive to do so, give the viewer the option to play each episode with or without commercials. If not however (as the process is clearly being done on a limited budget) then those that don't want to see the original commercials for whatever reason can simply fast forward through them.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
"getting as close to the original broadcast experience as possible" is not the goal of dvd releases.

if it was, then all the old-time commercials would be put in all the shows.

most people, even during the original airing, thought of commercials as something they had to endure.

it is just as time went by, the length of the endurance INCREASED.

i can still get a kick of nostalgia out of seeing old commercials. but i dont associate them with any one show, since folgers coffee was on all shows, etc.

is the only thing that makes these commercials so special for some of you, is that ozzie is doing the delivering ?

were there any commercials in the original airing that were not delivered by the nelson family ?

i suspect that the people wanting to see the commercials is in a small minority. these types of shows appeal to people of all ages and all generations, once they see them.

all sorts of young kids know and like the beave. and i think that they would all see the commercials today, as most people saw them during the original airing - something to tolerate.

while i have great amounts of sentimentality for many of these old shows, i have no sentimentality for the actors talking about folgers coffee.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Just wanted to repeat: the commercials done by the Nelsons themselves, as the ones that they did on Andy Griffith, add a great deal to the show. On the Monkees they added that Kelloggs spot that has them singing the jingle. That was kind of neat!

... make it skipable, but please please please put those in there.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i have andy griffith. they are placed on a menu item. i watched a few of them, but then i got tired of them rather quickly.

i think it is a fairly positive thing that they will be in there.

i think the only question is WHERE.

i certainly do not prefer being forced to watch them. but it would not prevent me from getting the show. it was a great show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks