What's new

Ozzie & Harriet (1 Viewer)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I always prefer having the original commercials in the shows. In my ideal world, all the original sponsor bumpers, cast commercials, network promos and, to a lesser extent, the non-cast commercials would be placed back in. There's something about watching vintage commercials that makes the past come alive again. I think it's because commercials tend to date so much more quickly than the shows themselves. Especially automobile commercials!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Radioman970 said:
Just wanted to repeat: the commercials done by the Nelsons themselves, as the ones that they did on Andy Griffith, add a great deal to the show. On the Monkees they added that Kelloggs spot that has them singing the jingle. That was kind of neat!

... make it skipable, but please please please put those in there.
I'm mainly there with you but I don't want them *in the show* as a default. Put them as a bonus item so I can watch them when I want but I don't want to have to skip them when watching an episode. If there's a play option that allows "Watch with original commercials" that's OK too but I want to be able to play the episodes commercial free as the default.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
jimmyjet said:
"getting as close to the original broadcast experience as possible" is not the goal of dvd releases.

if it was, then all the old-time commercials would be put in all the shows.

most people, even during the original airing, thought of commercials as something they had to endure.

it is just as time went by, the length of the endurance INCREASED.

i can still get a kick of nostalgia out of seeing old commercials. but i dont associate them with any one show, since folgers coffee was on all shows, etc.

is the only thing that makes these commercials so special for some of you, is that ozzie is doing the delivering ?

were there any commercials in the original airing that were not delivered by the nelson family ?

i suspect that the people wanting to see the commercials is in a small minority. these types of shows appeal to people of all ages and all generations, once they see them.

all sorts of young kids know and like the beave. and i think that they would all see the commercials today, as most people saw them during the original airing - something to tolerate.

while i have great amounts of sentimentality for many of these old shows, i have no sentimentality for the actors talking about folgers coffee.
That's your opinion. I think if you took a survey, the majority of people would want the commercials kept in. As for Folgers coffee, I have no idea where that comes in as it didn't even exist until after the show was off the air.

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
Neil Brock said:
That's your opinion. I think if you took a survey, the majority of people would want the commercials kept in. As for Folgers coffee, I have no idea where that comes in as it didn't even exist until after the show was off the air.
I was about to say the same thing. The majority of the people I have traded non-commercial recordings of TV shows over the years greatly prefer having the original commercials intact. For one of those people his favorite show is The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. He would be ecstatic to have the original commercials intact within the episodes where they belong.

The bigger reason I suspect you don't typically see original commercials included on commercial DVDs releases is that it would likely add to the cost for any given release.

I think I even read somewhere on this forum that TV shows which contain the original commercials hold greater value within the collectors market that those without.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I think you'd have two different answers to the question of commercials based on two distinctly different types of collectors. The guys that are traders and more old-school collectors would vote for it (as demonstrated here in this thread). But I do think if the commercials were "forced" into the episodes, where the viewer had no choice but to either watch them or use the fast-forward button on the remote, many typical dvd collectors wouldn't be very excited about that. Again, options would be the key.

Gary "I don't mind cast commercials, but its not like I'd be upset if they weren't included" O.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
neil,

folgers was a symbol for commercials. substitute any product name you want in there.

forcing people to watch the commercials would hurt sales. i am not in the least bit worried that they would be dumb enough to do that.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
BobO'Link said:
I'm mainly there with you but I don't want them *in the show* as a default. Put them as a bonus item so I can watch them when I want but I don't want to have to skip them when watching an episode. If there's a play option that allows "Watch with original commercials" that's OK too but I want to be able to play the episodes commercial free as the default.
I'll agree with that. An option to watch without for those who want it. But I sincerely want the option of watching them within the shows as they were before. Not just an extra. I wish I could get that option on some of my favorite old saturday morning shows. sid & marty krofft interrupted by a Honey Combs Hideout commerical, time for timer hunk 'o cheeze, then proceeded by a School house Rock would be something I'd celebrate. :D

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
I think you'd have two different answers to the question of commercials based on two distinctly different types of collectors. The guys that are traders and more old-school collectors would vote for it (as demonstrated here in this thread). But I do think if the commercials were "forced" into the episodes, where the viewer had no choice but to either watch them or use the fast-forward button on the remote, many typical dvd collectors wouldn't be very excited about that. Again, options would be the key.

Gary "I don't mind cast commercials, but its not like I'd be upset if they weren't included" O.
Good point. For example, I like the ads in the Andy Griffith sets but they're also a menu option in those releases. If the "cast" ads had been included in the episodes, those ads wouldn't bother me at all.
jimmyjet said:
neil,

folgers was a symbol for commercials. substitute any product name you want in there.

forcing people to watch the commercials would hurt sales. i am not in the least bit worried that they would be dumb enough to do that.
I agree here. For example, it depends on the era of shows and the type of ads in dvd releases.

Imagine, with a more recent release, with an hour-long aired show with the actual episode time running around 40 minutes, being inbedded with "car insurance" ads every 5-7 minutes.

To me, that's a lot different than including cast ads in Ozzie & Harriet.

So when some are saying that they'd like commercials included in studio dvd sets, I'd say that there are more points to consider with this subject.
Radioman970 said:
I'll agree with that. An option to watch without for those who want it. But I sincerely want the option of watching them within the shows as they were before. Not just an extra. I wish I could get that option on some of my favorite old saturday morning shows. sid & marty krofft interrupted by a Honey Combs Hideout commerical, time for timer hunk 'o cheeze, then proceeded by a School house Rock would be something I'd celebrate. :D
Agree here too. If it's a choice, that's a good approach. Forced ads in studio releases, I'm not in favor of that for reasons that I mentioned earlier.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Jeff Willis said:
Good point. For example, I like the ads in the Andy Griffith sets but they're also a menu option in those releases. If the "cast" ads had been included in the episodes, those ads wouldn't bother me at all.

I agree here. For example, it depends on the era of shows and the type of ads in dvd releases.

Imagine, with a more recent release, with an hour-long aired show with the actual episode time running around 40 minutes, being inbedded with "car insurance" ads every 5-7 minutes.

To me, that's a lot different than including cast ads in Ozzie & Harriet.

So when some are saying that they'd like commercials included in studio dvd sets, I'd say that there are more points to consider with this subject.

Agree here too. If it's a choice, that's a good approach. Forced ads in studio releases, I'm not in favor of that for reasons that I mentioned earlier.
The cast ads for Andy Griffith were great because they featured the cast playing their tv roles and often fit in with the plot of the episode. Anything like that, I would not mind being included in the regular run.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i am no dvd guru.

but i would certainly think that the process of making good transfers, etc. is INFINITELY MORE DIFFICULT than placing an option on the menu, as to whether to include the commercials or not ?

they can be placed on the menu, and also given an option to be viewed during the show.

i think those that want to watch it embedded are in the big minority. so i would be absolutely flabbergasted if the only option was to watch the commercial as part of the episode.

one thing that may be overlooked by those of us here on this forum is that we are in no way representative of the masses.

it is not just old-time sentimental people buying old tv shows. and i am very sentimental about these shows. and i have no desire to see some actor plugging some product.

i thought the andy griffith commercials were stupid.

my sentimentality is for the actual tv show, itself. the characters, the lessons learned, etc.

i have no sentimentality for folgers coffee.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
JoeDoakes said:
The cast ads for Andy Griffith were great because they featured the cast playing their tv roles and often fit in with the plot of the episode. Anything like that, I would not mind being included in the regular run.
I was just watching a Beverly Hillbillies last night in which the final cast commercial neatly dove-tailed with the plot of the episode that had just finished. "The Critter Doctor" concludes with Elly and Granny going out on a double-date with their gentleman callers and in the Kellogg's commercial immediately afterward, Jed and Jethro were left at home to eat Kellogg's Corn Flakes all alone. A running gag from the episode involving the last name of Elly's date is continued in the ad. The commercial's entertainment value is greatly enhanced by being placed within the context of the show.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Rob_Ray said:
I was just watching a Beverly Hillbillies last night in which the final cast commercial neatly dove-tailed with the plot of the episode that had just finished. "The Critter Doctor" concludes with Elly and Granny going out on a double-date with their gentleman callers and in the Kellogg's commercial immediately afterward, Jed and Jethro were left at home to eat Kellogg's Corn Flakes all alone. A running gag from the episode involving the last name of Elly's date is continued in the ad. The commercial's entertainment value is greatly enhanced by being placed within the context of the show.
This was done regularly with The Beverly Hillbillies and for the most part is fairly non intrusive. However with other programs it was typically just the cast hawking the sponsor's product. They are certainly nice to see for nostalgia but not every time an episode is viewed. That's why I'm a proponent of a menu option allowing a choice of watching episodes with or without cast commercials.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
BobO'Link said:
This was done regularly with The Beverly Hillbillies and for the most part is fairly non intrusive. However with other programs it was typically just the cast hawking the sponsor's product. They are certainly nice to see for nostalgia but not every time an episode is viewed. That's why I'm a proponent of a menu option allowing a choice of watching episodes with or without cast commercials.
I agree it should certainly be a menu option, but I always, without exception, opt for "Vintage" viewing when given a choice.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i suspect that sam nelson reads this thread. so i think it behooves everyone to speak up, just in case he may have overlooked something that he did not think was important.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I think O&H was one of the first times I was able to experience a dream of having vintage commercials in a show. Years ago I'd speed passed commercials, but now I crave it. I don't know if it's an age thing.

Not totally the same, but I'd nominate Adv of Robin Hood release as maybe the best at allowing a vintage viewing of something. That was a real fun idea.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Neil Brock said:
... As for Folgers coffee, I have no idea where that comes in as it didn't even exist until after the show was off the air.
I don't follow this. Folgers coffee started in 1872!

I can't ever think of Folgers coffee without remembering that one of the heirs to the Folgers fortune, Abigail Folger, was one of the five people killed by the Manson followers at the Polanski/Tate house on that horrible night in August of 1969. She was the great-granddaughter of the founder of the company, proof enough that it was a very old company by then.

Please forgive me for bringing the Manson Family into a thread about the Nelson Family. :wacko:

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
For me, it's purely nostalgia. I like seeing the program exactly as someone from the fifties would have seen it. I agree that it needs to be an option. I understand that there are many people who have no desire to see commercials with their show. I wish Gunsmoke had that option because the intro music gets cut short because it would have transitioned right into the sponsor's product. I enjoy watching the Autolite commercials during the Suspense episodes.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
well, amongst us enthusiasts, there seems to be a varied number of likes, regarding commercials.

it seems to me that it should be a fairly simple thing to satisfy everyone, so i suspect that is what will be done.

although the commercials is an extremely minor issue, when compared to just getting all 435 episodes !!!!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
jimmyjet said:
well, amongst us enthusiasts, there seems to be a varied number of likes, regarding commercials.

it seems to me that it should be a fairly simple thing to satisfy everyone, so i suspect that is what will be done.

although the commercials is an extremely minor issue, when compared to just getting all 435 episodes !!!!
I was curious about that too, so I tried to post a poll here but I think that's only allowed by the mod's. It might have been interesting to see the results here.

One voting result would be a landslide... a full release of the series
3326n7t.jpg

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i am beginning to see something that i am not sure was evident to me, before. and i do not know what percentage of people fall into my boat ?

but i hear comments like nostalgia and entertainment value.

to me, tv has a much deeper meaning to me.

i do not think of tv as entertainment, per se.

there were some shows that i enjoyed as a kid, that i would regard as entertainment. like hogans heroes, my favorite martian, mr. ed, get smart, and a host of others.

but if i were to put down the 50 tv shows that i liked the best, i suspect that every single one of them would fall into one category - "shows that had a big influence on my development as a person".

shows like the fugitive, bonanza, little house, waltons, highway to heaven, 7th heaven, beaver, father knows best, all the star treks, etc.

they all had characters that developed, behaviors that were stressed, etc.

they emulated the attitudes and thoughts of the day.

that is why i do not want to see ozzie selling folgers at the same time i view the episode.

i want just the full impact of the show, when i watch the show.

as a purely entertainment value, i can enjoy watching old commercials. i love the hamms bear. the thriftimart jingle. literally dozens of them would be great to see.

such that i am more apt to want to watch just a bunch of fun commercials, if i am in just a mode to be entertained.

for all i know, i may be in a very small boat, regarding why i like my favorite shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks