What's new

Ozzie & Harriet (1 Viewer)

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Good points but maybe quality and tech improvements are making less discs needed - remember those MOD MGM Flipper second and third seasons at 50.00 a pop ---- thank heavens OLIVE put them out got them for 22.00 each on sale
I have the Flipper series from Olive Films, purchased the DVD's a few years ago. I also have the Daktari series from Warner Archive and Gentle Ben from CBS DVD.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I wish that was the case with the colour Hullabaloo shows. I understand only 3 still exist in their original colour presentation on NBC. How about that show called Karen with Debbie Watson. I think only 2 or 3 of those episodes still exist. The rest I think are gone. I am sure there are other examples. Unfortunate.
I bought the original Hullabaloo releases that came out about 15 years ago. I recall that only a few shows were missing . Some of that material showed up on the more recent Best Of Hullabaloo releases a few years ago - 4 volumes.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I bought the original Hullabaloo releases that came out about 15 years ago. I recall that only a few shows were missing . Some of that material showed up on the more recent Best Of Hullabaloo releases a few years ago - 4 volumes.
So I just checked my 2 Hullabaloo sets. There’s a total of 9 hours between the two multi-DVD sets. So yes your right , a lot is missing and quite possibly lost . The four recent single volumes add some material not in the original sets. Still you never know, Hullabaloo tapes might exist in a private collection somewhere.
It would be nice to see all the existing Hullabaloo material collected on a definitive Blu-ray set!

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
So I just checked my 2 Hullabaloo sets. There’s a total of 9 hours between the two multi-DVD sets. So yes your right , a lot is missing and quite possibly lost . The four recent single volumes add some material not in the original sets. Still you never know, Hullabaloo tapes might exist in a private collection somewhere.
It would be nice to see all the existing Hullabaloo material collected on a definitive Blu-ray set!
It would be. As I understand it. a while after the show went off the air, the original colour shows were offered to someone for archiving, but the company offered the rights weren't interested, so almost all the colour ones were destroyed. Most of them only exist in the black & white kinescope format with the time codes. But I guess that is for another thread. This is for Ozzie & Harriet. Sorry I went off track.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
So , to get back to Ozzie And Harriet, I wonder if there’s any chance of Ozzie’s later show turning up on DVD . I don’t know if Sam Nelson has these tapes as well. I’d guess that any of us who would stick with all 14 seasons of O&H , would want to add that show to their collection.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
LATEST KICKSTARTER UPDATE FROM SAM NELSON:

Hello everyone,

If in LA, please come down and celebrate Ozzie and Harriet's 70th Anniversary with us this weekend: Sun, June 12, 2022. It's free, all you have to do is register from the link provided on the page. Hope to see you there.

~Sam​

The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet—70th Anniversary Celebration​

The Nelson family.

June 12, 2022 - 7:00 pm
Billy Wilder Theater
REGISTER
In-person:
actor-musician Sam Nelson, actor Tracy Nelson, son and daughter of Ricky Nelson; actors Stanley and Barry Livingston.
Of the many sitcoms from the 1950s depicting a homogenous vision of suburban family life, The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet (1952-1966) remains among the most beloved in the public imagination. The indelible space the iconic program continues to hold in pop culture is undoubtedly owed to the collective talents and charisma of the real-life Nelson family, cast in the program as fictionalized versions of themselves. Created by former bandleader Ozzie Nelson and starring himself and spouse, former singer and RKO contract player Harriet Nelson, and young sons David and Ricky, Ozzie & Harriet ingeniously blurred elements of Hollywood and reality, not only through casting but by incorporating a replica of their Los Angeles home as the setting for the gently comedic series. By extension, the natural chemistry between the family members, first successfully explored by Ozzie on radio and in a feature film (Here Come the Nelsons, 1952), adapted seamlessly to the intimacy of the small screen.
The timeless popularity of Ozzie & Harriet is anchored by the enduring legacy of Ricky Nelson. Early in the series' long run, Ricky emerged from the gifted family ensemble with a scene-stealing rebellious streak and his own catchphrase (“I don’t mess around, boy”). When Ricky showed an interest in rock & roll in real-life, Ozzie intuitively incorporated his son’s innate musical talent into a special episode, “Ricky, the Drummer” (1957), that catapulted the teen into superstardom, with album sales that rivaled Elvis for a time. Over a decades-long music career, Rick Nelson would go on to establish himself as an artist of considerable depth beyond his famous TV role. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987, two years after his tragic death at age 45.
Please join us as we celebrate the 70th anniversary of The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet with a special screening of two episodes recently restored by MPI Home Video from 35mm negatives held at the UCLA Film & Television Archive. Presented with original commercials and bonus archival footage.
—Mark Quigley, John H. Mitchell Television Curator

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet: “Ricky, the Drummer”​

U.S., 4/10/1957
Ricky’s dream of sitting in with a traveling band comes true when Ozzie secretly arranges for him to sub for the drummer and sing a song. The episode launched Ricky Nelson's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame career as a musician.
DCP, b&w, 30 min. ABC. Production: Stage Five Productions. Producer: Ozzie Nelson. Director: Ozzie Nelson. Writers: Ozzie Nelson, Dick Bensfield, Perry Grant, Don Nelson. With: Ozzie Nelson, Harriet Nelson, David Nelson, Ricky Nelson, Pete Candoli.

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet: “Tutti Frutti Ice Cream”​

U.S., 12/11/1957
A late-night craving sends Ozzie and pal Darby (Parley Baer) on a seemingly impossible quest to find tutti frutti ice cream. After airing, the episode sparked a nationwide spike in retail sales of the flavor.
DCP, b&w, 30 min. ABC. Production: Stage Five Productions. Producer: Ozzie Nelson. Director: Ozzie Nelson. Writers: Don Nelson, Jay Sommers, Ozzie Nelson. Story: Perry Grant, Dick Bensfield. With: Ozzie Nelson, Harriet Nelson, David Nelson, Ricky Nelson, Parley Baer.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Karen is owned by Universal, so it's entirely intact, first as a segment of 90 Bristol Court along with Harris Against the World and Tom, Dick, and Mary. Those two segments were dropped, but Karen would continue by itself for the rest of the 1964-65 season

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Karen is owned by Universal, so it's entirely intact, first as a segment of 90 Bristol Court along with Harris Against the World and Tom, Dick, and Mary. Those two segments were dropped, but Karen would continue by itself for the rest of the 1964-65 season
I’m not sure what connection Bristol Court and aKaren have With Hullabaloos, but I remember both , watched them in High School, and would love to see them again.
It’s good to know that elements still exist!

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
LATEST KICKSTARTER UPDATE FROM SAM NELSON:

Hello everyone,

If in LA, please come down and celebrate Ozzie and Harriet's 70th Anniversary with us this weekend: Sun, June 12, 2022. It's free, all you have to do is register from the link provided on the page. Hope to see you there.

~Sam​

The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet—70th Anniversary Celebration​

The Nelson family.

June 12, 2022 - 7:00 pm
Billy Wilder Theater
REGISTER
In-person:
actor-musician Sam Nelson, actor Tracy Nelson, son and daughter of Ricky Nelson; actors Stanley and Barry Livingston.
Of the many sitcoms from the 1950s depicting a homogenous vision of suburban family life, The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet (1952-1966) remains among the most beloved in the public imagination. The indelible space the iconic program continues to hold in pop culture is undoubtedly owed to the collective talents and charisma of the real-life Nelson family, cast in the program as fictionalized versions of themselves. Created by former bandleader Ozzie Nelson and starring himself and spouse, former singer and RKO contract player Harriet Nelson, and young sons David and Ricky, Ozzie & Harriet ingeniously blurred elements of Hollywood and reality, not only through casting but by incorporating a replica of their Los Angeles home as the setting for the gently comedic series. By extension, the natural chemistry between the family members, first successfully explored by Ozzie on radio and in a feature film (Here Come the Nelsons, 1952), adapted seamlessly to the intimacy of the small screen.
The timeless popularity of Ozzie & Harriet is anchored by the enduring legacy of Ricky Nelson. Early in the series' long run, Ricky emerged from the gifted family ensemble with a scene-stealing rebellious streak and his own catchphrase (“I don’t mess around, boy”). When Ricky showed an interest in rock & roll in real-life, Ozzie intuitively incorporated his son’s innate musical talent into a special episode, “Ricky, the Drummer” (1957), that catapulted the teen into superstardom, with album sales that rivaled Elvis for a time. Over a decades-long music career, Rick Nelson would go on to establish himself as an artist of considerable depth beyond his famous TV role. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987, two years after his tragic death at age 45.
Please join us as we celebrate the 70th anniversary of The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet with a special screening of two episodes recently restored by MPI Home Video from 35mm negatives held at the UCLA Film & Television Archive. Presented with original commercials and bonus archival footage.
—Mark Quigley, John H. Mitchell Television Curator

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet: “Ricky, the Drummer”​

U.S., 4/10/1957
Ricky’s dream of sitting in with a traveling band comes true when Ozzie secretly arranges for him to sub for the drummer and sing a song. The episode launched Ricky Nelson's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame career as a musician.
DCP, b&w, 30 min. ABC. Production: Stage Five Productions. Producer: Ozzie Nelson. Director: Ozzie Nelson. Writers: Ozzie Nelson, Dick Bensfield, Perry Grant, Don Nelson. With: Ozzie Nelson, Harriet Nelson, David Nelson, Ricky Nelson, Pete Candoli.

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet: “Tutti Frutti Ice Cream”​

U.S., 12/11/1957
A late-night craving sends Ozzie and pal Darby (Parley Baer) on a seemingly impossible quest to find tutti frutti ice cream. After airing, the episode sparked a nationwide spike in retail sales of the flavor.
DCP, b&w, 30 min. ABC. Production: Stage Five Productions. Producer: Ozzie Nelson. Director: Ozzie Nelson. Writers: Don Nelson, Jay Sommers, Ozzie Nelson. Story: Perry Grant, Dick Bensfield. With: Ozzie Nelson, Harriet Nelson, David Nelson, Ricky Nelson, Parley Baer.
I would be there if I could. Sounds like a lot of fun.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
The connection is about some shows missing all or parts of episodes or simply ones that have had episodes destroyed or no longer in existence.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Speaking of lower price points. S01/S02 $20.99 ea.

You can also sign up to get email & text alerts for 10% off, but I'm not certain if that excludes Pre-Orders.
Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered from them and the 10% does work.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I wish that was the case with the colour Hullabaloo shows. I understand only 3 still exist in their original colour presentation on NBC. How about that show called Karen with Debbie Watson. I think only 2 or 3 of those episodes still exist. The rest I think are gone. I am sure there are other examples. Unfortunate.

Where do people get this crap from. Karen and every other filmed show that Universal produced is sitting in the vaults on 35mm negatives. And all of the Hullabaloos exist on kinescope. I know because I have them all.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Where do people get this crap from. Karen and every other filmed show that Universal produced is sitting in the vaults on 35mm negatives. And all of the Hullabaloos exist on kinescope. I know because I have them all.
Hi Neil, I also have the Hullabaloo ones on Kinescope, however according to some sources(not completely sure on the total accuracy of all- simply from what I have read), only 3 exist in the original colour and several have parts missing and 1 or 2 aren't around any longer. As far as Karen goes, it would be nice to know that all of the episodes are still sitting in the vaults and haven't been destroyed. For those who might enjoy seeing this get released(a long shot to be sure), at least we know the episodes are still around. Thank you for shedding some light on this. Sometimes we can't always receive total accurate information from some of the sources we read about on these TV programs. I trust your information on what you posted is accurate as you seem to have a vast knowledge of this subject. We all appreciate your insight and for sharing your thoughts. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks