What's new

Outstanding Westerns not on DVD (1 Viewer)

Several Blaxploitation westerns never released on dvd or vhs.

"The Legend of Nigger Charley" (Paramount)
"The Soul of Nigger Charley" (Paramount)
"Boss Nigger" aka Black Bounty Hunter
"Thomasine & Bushrod"

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator
Armin Jager;

Armin: Thanks for your comments regarding Canyon Passage. You indicated you were not sure if Universal has the rights to Canyon Passage since it was produced by Walter Wanger. Universal released Canyon Passage on VHS in 1998 (unfortunately it seems to have gone out of print fairly soon afterwards). On the video box it is indicated that Universal Pictures holds the copywright dated 1946, and the that it was renewed by Universal Pictures in 1973.

On the film itself the first opening credit that appears is "A Univesal Picture", while the next credit that appears is "Walter Wanger Presents". Walter Wanger at one time had his own company Walter Wanger Productions Inc., which produced such films as "Stagecoach" and "Foreign Correspondent". On those films the copywright holder is listed as "Walter Wanger Productions, Inc.", and those films were released through United Artists.

Based on the foregoing, the evidence would seem to point to Universal as the holder of the DVD rights on this picture, however obviously someone at Universal would be in a better position to know for sure. If anyone has any further information let us know. c Jim Bur

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be a buyer of the following:

1.Mark of Zorro, The--Ricardo Montalban, Gilbert Roland
2.Pony Express--Charleton Heston, Rhonda Fleming
3.Rio Conchos--Rich. Boone, Stuart Whitman
4.Skin Game--Jas. Garner, Lou Gossett
5.Son of the Morning Star--Gary Cole, Dean Stockwell
6.There Was a Crooked Man--Kirk Douglas, Henry Fonda
7.Villa Rides!--Yul Brenner, Chas. Bronson

Bob Engleman

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
A few other worthy Westerns, not already mentioned:

HELL'S HEROES (1930 Universal/WB) The first sound-era version of the "THREE GODFATHERS" tale, starring Charles Bickford, Raymond Hatton & Fred Kohler. An early, impressive work from famed director William Wyler. Originally a Universal release, but now the property of Warner Bros (via their MGM library)...MGM probably acquired the rights when it made either the 1936 or 1948 versions of THREE GODFATHERS, similar to MGM acquiring Paramount's 1932 version of DR. JEKYLL & MR. HYDE when it was prepping the 1941 Spencer Tracy version.

THREE GODFATHERS (1936 MGM/WB) As good as John Ford's Technicolor remake is, this earlier version, from director Richard Boleslawski (fresh from helming the excellent 1935 version of LES MISERABLES at Fox), is the superior film version of the oft-filmed story, IMHO. This one stars Chester Morris, Lewis Stone and Walter Brennan as the title trio.

ANNIE OAKLEY (1935 RKO/WB) Excellent non-musical recounting of the life of the famous sharp-shooter, starring the feisty Barbara Stanwyck, directed by the great George Stevens.

WELLS FARGO (1937 Paramount/Universal) Real-life couple Joel McCrea & Frances Dee co-starred in this biographical western drama of the founding of the famous express delivery company.

ROUGHSHOD (1949 RKO/WB) Another cool noir-ish western (in the same company as STATION WEST, BLOOD ON THE MOON, RAMROD, etc), directed by Mark Robson. Starring Robert Sterling, Gloria Grahame, Claude Jarman, Jr, and John Ireland.

WESTWARD THE WOMEN (1951 MGM/WB) William Wellman-directed wagon train saga, starring Robert Taylor and a covey of wildcats. From a story by Frank Capra.

WAR PAINT (1953 UA/Sony) A solid color cavalry B western, starring Robert Stack, Charles McGraw, Peter Graves and Jaon Taylor. Features a great pre-credits sequence.

THE RIVER'S EDGE (1957) In the modern-West vein of films like INFERNO, I'd add this good, run-for-the-border melodrama from director Allan Dwan, starring Anthony Quinn, Ray Milland & Debra Paget.

THE BADLANDERS (1958 MGM/WB) Delmar Daves' western reworking of THE ASPHALT JUNGLE, starring Alan Ladd & Ernest Borgnine.

EDGE OF ETERNITY (1959 Fox) Since we're including modern-set western adventure/thrillers (INFERNO, LONELY ARE THE BRAVE, etc), how about this sturdy color/Cinemascope entry, set in and around the Grand Canyon, from director Don Seigel, starring Cornel Wilde, Victoria Shaw, Mickey Shaughnessy, Edgar Buchanan & Jack Elam?

THE HILLS RUN RED (1966-Italian, UA/Sony) A decent entry early in the spaghetti western cycle, with american stars Dan Duryea and Henry Silva.

NAVAJO JOE (1966-Italian, UA/Sony) Not one of star Burt Reynolds' finer moments, but it's still a fun Sergio Corbucci spaghetti western, with a typically excellent Ennio Morricone/Bruno Nicolai score (a piece of which was used in the high school satire, ELECTION (1999)).

DEATH RIDES A HORSE (1968-Italian, UA/Sony) Excellent spaghetti revenge-western, starring John Phillip Law and Lee Van Cleef. There are about a billion ugly, pan&scan public domain DVDs of this flick out there, but only MGM/Sony has the elements for a legit R1 anamorphic widescreen DVD release.

THE MERCENARY (1968-Italian, aka A PROFESSIONAL GUN, UA/Sony) One of the better of the non-Leone spaghetti westerns from Sergi Corbucci, starring Franco Nero, Tony Musante and Jack Palance. The currently-available-on-DVD film, THE COMPANEROES (1970) was a sort of follow-up to this film.

MUSTANG COUNTRY (1976 Universal) Contrary to popular belief, Joel McCrea's western swan-song wasn't RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY, but rather this well-done little mentor-student horse capture saga. It's been in rotation lately on the Encore Westerns channel.

As-yet-unannounced films, listed in this thread so far, that I'd buy, if released properly on R1 DVD:

NORTHWEST PASSAGE
WESTERN UNION
ANGEL & THE BADMAN
RAMROD
BLOOD ON THE MOON
RACHEL & THE STRANGER
STATION WEST
COLORADO TERRITORY
BROKEN ARROW
THE DEVIL'S DOORWAY
THE GUNFIGHTER
STARS IN MY CROWN
WAGONMASTER
RAWHIDE
THE BIG SKY
RANCHO NOTORIOUS
THE LUSTY MEN
CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER
ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO
GARDEN OF EVIL
DECISION AT SUNDOWN
THE TALL T
BUCHANAN RIDES ALONE
DAY OF THE OUTLAW
THE LAW & JAKE WADE
MAN OF THE WEST
THE SHEEPMAN
RIDE LONESOME
COMANCHE STATION
MONTE WALSH
THE TALL TARGET
INFERNO
THE FURIES
THE BIG GUNDOWN
FACE TO FACE
DUCK YOU SUCKER/FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE
THE SPIKES GANG

I'd also likely "blind buy" these:

SMOKY
CORONER CREEK
A MAN ALONE
FROM HELL TO TEXAS
WONDERFUL COUNTRY

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

Just noting that both of these movies (neither of which I've seen) also had pieces of their scores featured in the Kill Bill movies.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I have to admit I really like this one, although the film does have a lot of cringe-inducing horse-tripping stunts in it. Reynolds is a lot of fun to watch in his "Hulk wig" :)

I wouldn't mind seeing someone do a region 1 release of the German Karl May adaptations from the 60's. I believe a boxset just came out in Germany but it doesn't feature English translations.

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator
To Scott FH and Richard-W;

I agree with you that "The Tall Target" (MGM-Warners) is a terrific film. As the action takes place in a train, and in an eastern urban setting, on the eve of Abraham Lincoln's inaguration prior to the start of the civil war, I personally would classify the film as a "mystery thriller" or "historical thriller", and not a western. However classified, it would make an excellent DVD release.

Its funny how some civil war era films are classified as westerns while others are not. For instance, "The Horse Soldiers" and "Shenandoah" are almost always classified as westerns even though all the action takes place in the eastern half of the United States, while civil war themed films like "Gone With the Wind" and "Raintree County" are never classified as westerns. I think it might have a lot to due with who stars in the movie. Since, Jimmy Stewart, and espcially John Wayne, are so identified with western films, the presumption is that it is a western even when technically it may not be a western.

Speaking, of outstanding civil war themed films that are often classified as westerns, I would highly recommend 'The Raid" (1954) (Fox), which has never been released on video in any format. I think it is one of Van Heflin's best films, with an excellent supporting cast including, Lee Marvin, Richard Boone, and Peter Graves.

c Jim Bur

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Here are some westerns I'd like to see on DVD:

THE BIG TRAIL (1930)
Raoul Walsh directs John Wayne and Tyrone Power Sr. in classic story of westward expansion via covered wagon. Stunning location photography and period detail with many props and implements of the mid-1800s used as practicals. Most of the wilderness locations are housing developments now. Shot simultaneously in standard full-screen and an experimental 70mm widescreen process. Fox needs to re-do the DVD so that the widescreen alternate is paired with the full screen. True, the full screen version is better, but the widescreen compositions make for a remarkable film in its own right. Let's see it both ways.

BILLY THE KID (MGM 1930)
The first film about Billy the Kid was filmed on location in New Mexico while some of the participants from the Lincoln County War who are portrayed in the film were still alive. The oldtimers didn't like the movie, but it's closer to what actually happened than any version that followed it. Loosely based on The Saga of Billy the Kid (1924) by Walter Noble Burns, one of the seminal books to define the western genre in America. A primitive but memorable outlaw ballad with Johnny Mack Brown and Wallace Beery. If MGM will release this on DVD, I'll do a commentary for free.

RAMONA (1936 Fox)
The very young Loretta Young is so luminous and erotic you won't notice how the story creaks with age. Classic romance-western about good indian (Don Ameche) who falls in forbidden love with Spanish girl (Loretta Young) while white settlers invade their paradise and steal everything they can lay their hands on. Its view of history isn't well-informed, but it's the romance (and the glorious three-strip Technicolor) that matters.

TRAIL OF THE LONESOME PINE (1936 Paramount)
Said to be the first three-strip Technicolor film to be shot on location, that is outside of a studio environment. With Henry Fonda and Sylvia Sidney in a story of hillbillies trying to protect their mountain from a railroad.

GOLD IS WHERE YOU FIND IT (1938 Warner Brothers)
Big, expensive three-strip Technicolor western about miners and hydraulic mining shot in the outdoors of northern California. Solid action and sappy romance. A real pleasure to look at. Scarce. TCM only aired it twice.

DAWN AT SOCORRO (1954 Universal)
Rory Calhoun in a cleverly disguised spin on Doc Holliday and the O.K. Corral as a tuberculor gambler named Brett Wade who gambles for posession of young vulnerable Piper Laurie to save her from a life of prostitution in saloon. The opening gunfight and the card game are memorable scenes. My favorite of the several outstanding westerns directed by George Sherman. Off-beat and intense backlot western has earned a cult following since it was restored and aired for the first time on AMC during that station's late lamented glory days.

FOUR GUNS TO THE BORDER (1954 Universal International)
Farmer Walter Brennan and young daughter Colleen Miller cross trails with bankrobbers Rory Calhoun, Jay Silverheels, and John McIntire who are pursued by a posse led by Charles Drake while indians are on the warpath. Convoluted plot would be a conventional western if it were not for the way director Richard Carlson invests every scene with a sexual subtext that's in the acting but not in the script. Colleen has fun playing the daughter as a girl who is just discovering her sexuality and power over men. She's going to test her power no matter what. Dirty bank robbers lose their heads and start learning manners when in her presence. The scene where she tiptoes through a room of snoring sweaty men while rain leaks through the roof over her nightgown has to be seen to be believed. The scene where she walks through the rain in the night to calm her stallion snorting in the barn only to find Rory Calhoun waiting there, has to be the five hottest minutes in the sexually repressed 1950s cinema. Oh yeah, it's in rich Technicolor with plenty of action, too.

MASTERSON OF KANSAS (1954 Columbia)
Columbia has many unreleased westerns in its archive, and this is one of my favorites. It's also one of William Castle's better early films. George Montgomery as Bat Masterson tries to clean up Dodge City while sparring with an eccentric gambler who wants to die. James Griffith gives a performance four decades ahead of its time as Doc Holliday. Bitter, caustic, and homicidal, Griffith gets all the best dialogue and gives Val Kilmer a run for his money. Columbia might want to consider a box-set of William Castle's westerns or a box-set of western hero George Montgomery's B westerns.

MAN WITHOUT A STAR (1955 Universal International)
King Vidor directs this robust Borden Chase story about fencing off the range and what happens to cowboys when they go to work for a woman rancher who brings the first modern toilet into the territory. "I want to see the man that would use it!" drawls Kirk Douglas. She spreads newspapers on the floor so that cowboys won't ruin her carpet on their way to the toilet. Comedy relief aside, this dynamic western delivers several memorable action scenes served up by maestro Vidor. Douglas invests his role with incredible energy, and William Campbell is a good match as the unpredictable psyhcotic gun-toting kid who tags along. Big widescreen Technicolor outdoor adventure.

MAN WITH THE GUN (1955 MGM / United Artists)
A fan at imdb describes it better than I can: there should be a sub-genre in the Western called 'the Robert Mitchum Western'. Mitchum's brilliant, idiosyncratic, usually undervalued Westerns import his film noir persona to etch some compellingly dark character sketches, and bring an elegiac world-weariness more familiar from the films of Sam Peckinpah. 'Man with the gun' is one of his best. Directed by Orson Welles protege Richard Wilson, it is a stark, monochrome beauty, full of chilling silhouettes and terrifying outbursts of savage violence, as Mitchum comes to tame a town terrorised by a monopolist with a private army. Mitchum's regression from soft-spoken stranger to deranged murderer, with a host of dark emotions in between, is a marvel of expressive, physical acting.

WICHITA (1955 Allied Artists)
Store keepers find out that hiring a sheriff to keep law and order in a cattle town is not necessarily good for business. Of the several Wyatt Earp movies released in the 1950s, this is my favorite. Joel McCrea is a natural as Wyatt Earp. Jacques Tourneur directs in Technicolor and CinemaScope. A fine, intelligent western.

MAN FROM DEL RIO (1956 United Artists)
Fresh from the acclaimed theatrical tour of A Streetcar Named Desire, Anthony Quinn plays gunfighter Dave Robles as if he were Stanley Kowalski (Quinn replaced Brando in the tour and many critics said he was better). Quinn's character study of Dave Robles remains one of his most deeply-felt, memorable and over-looked roles. He's just trying to impress the girl. Solid western morality tale. His rapport with Katy Jurado isn't just acting. If MGM can release The Ride Back on DVD, why not Man From Del Rio ?

STAR IN THE DUST (Universal 1956)
Young sheriff John Agar must prove to the townspeople that he's as worthy of the job as his father was. Agar has until sundown to hang murderer Richard Boone, but Boone's rancher friends don't think so. The entire town places bets on whether or not the hanging will take place while a guitar-strumming balladeer comments on the morality of the situation. Maime Van Doren is the fiancee. Smart backlot western builds up good suspense to a credible ending.

THE TRUE STORY OF FRANK AND JESSE JAMES (1957 Fox)
Nicholas Ray directed and co-wrote this color CinemaScope western immediately after completing Bigger Than Life (1956) i.e. at his creative peak. The studio re-cut the film and he disowned it. The film is so scarce fans will welcome either version, but Fox should make an effort to find the director's cut. Stars Robert Wagner, Jeffrey Hunter and Hope Lang. Should generate considerable interest on home video in view of the forthcoming blockbuster starring Brad Pitt as Jesse James. Fox, don't wait to long on this one.

MAIL ORDER BRIDE (MGM 1964)
Burt Kennedy's first feature is a riff on Ride the High Country. Comedy starring Buddy Ebsen strikes a serious note before when it reaches the ending. Great supporting cast including Warren Oates and Lois Nettleton.

THE OUTRAGE (1964 MGM)
If Akira Kurosawa could find inspiration in American westerns, why can't Americans find inspiration in Kurosawa? Martin Ritt directs Paul Newman as a Mexican bandit who may or may not have raped Claire Bloom and killed her husband. The director and cast of the USA stage version of Rashomon turn the play into a western, and it holds up well. William Shatner contributes a subtle bit as a preacher. Photographed in immaculate monochrome by the great James Wong Howe. A few years later, Ritt, Newman and Howe would return to the same Old Tucson location for one of the best westerns ever made, Hombre.

THE ROUNDERS (MGM 1965)
Blake Edwards contemporary comedy-western adapted from a Max Evans novel starring Henry Fonda and Glen Ford. Another great supporting cast includes Edgar Buchanan and Chill Wills in his best role. A box-office hit that became a TV series.

WELCOME TO HARD TIMES (MGM 1967)
Burt Kennedy adapts E.L. Doctorow's breakthrough novel. Not a successful adaptation by any means, but interesting and unusual, with Henry Fonda.

THE STALKING MOON National General Pictures, 1968)
The western as suspense thriller from director Robert Mulligan and producer Alan J. Pakula (the team that brought you To Kill A Mockingbird). A white woman raised among Apaches rescued by the cavalry flees from warrior chief husband who is a stalker and killing machine. Retired scout Gregory Peck doesn't know what he's in for when he transports her to his ranch in New Mexico. Good early role for Robert Forster. Tense, riveting thriller. Rambo and First Blood lifted the action and the choreography.

TELL THEM WILLIE BOY IS HERE (MGM 1969)
Blacklisted director Abraham Polansky tries to push our buttons and stir up controversy with this true story of injustice. Almost a docudrama with a chase sequence to rival the one in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I like this better. Robert Blake in his best role ever as indian hunted by a reluctant sheriff whose indifference to justice when he knows better is part of the problem. Katharine Ross is definately worth fighting for. One of the 10 best westerns ever made. Why isn't it better known?

MONTE WALSH (MGM 1970)
Achingly melancholy adaptation of the first half of Jack Schaeffer's novel (he wrote Shane). Exquisitely photographed, designed, and directed. Lee Marvin once told me it was his favorite role and his favorite film.

HANNIE CAULDER (Paramount 1971)
Burt Kennedy tries something different, shooting this nasty revenge tale in Almeira, Spain. After Raquel Welch is raped by three stooges (Ernest Borgnine, Jack Elam, Strother Martin), her husband killed and her house burned down, she appeals to a bounty hunter (Robert Culp, a revelation in a western) to teach her how to shoot. He wants to be paid, but all she's got left is a serape. Christopher Lee has a cameo as a gunsmith. Tense drama and solid action with some funny moments, but the humor is as black as it can get.

JohnPM

Second Unit
For a while there, it seemed as though the Scott/Boetticher westerns would be forthcoming from Columbia?Sony, but they seem to have closed down on any classic releases. Are there any vintage titles in the pipeline from them, other than the Capra box (which hasn't actually been officially announced)?

Link deleted by moderator. See HTF Rule 7.

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator
I have supplemented my original post with several additional westerns. Thanks to Peter Fitzgerald's post I was reminded of the fine western "Roughshod", which I have added to the original list. I also have taken up Jon Hertzberg's suggestion and added "The Return of the Badmen". Richard W brought up the subject of civil war westerns, which prompts me to add the outstanding film "The Raid" to the list. I also realized I had forgotten to include some of the fine films starring Harry Carey such as "The Last Outlaw", "The Law West of Tombstone", and "The Shepherd of the Hills", which have now been added to the list. There are also several other minor gems I had forgotten to include such as "Fort Defiance", "Singing Guns", "Tension at Table Rock", "Tribute to A Bad Man" etc, which have been added to the list. The original list included "Stars In My Crown", so I thought I should also include the other outstanding piece of Americana from that era "I'd Climb the Highest Mountain".

The original list focused on westerns from the period 1929-1960. With regard to post 1960 westerns, I want to second Richard-W's recommendation of the film "The Rounders" (1965) (MGM/Warners). It's a particularly fine western, and is based on a novel by Max Evans, who also wrote "The Hi-Lo Country". c Jim Bur

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Good to see there are other admirers of this fine film. Between this, In Cold Blood, and Electra Glide in Blue, I'm not sure which is Blake's best role.

FWiW, I think Dave Grusin's moody score also contributes mightily to the effectiveness of the film.

BTW, this is a Universal film. It is one of the few laserdiscs I have held onto. It must be seen in Scope and thankfully the LD retains the OAR.

Re-released as Willie Boy in the mid-70s, the trailer for this re-release (which is on the LD) features the hilarious tagline "Baretta is Willie Boy!"

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator
It is being reported on another thread that efilmcritic is indicating that Paramount will be releasing on DVD the westerns "Johnny Guitar" and "Pursued" on 7/25. "Johnny Guitar" has been prominently mentioned in the past on this thread as one of the outstanding westerns in need of a DVD release. If the information is correct, thank you Paramount for following through. "Pursued" had previously been released on DVD by Artisan in 2003, so it was not one of the films previously listed, however a new release of this outstanding western by Paramount would be very welcome, as it will no doubt be of better quality, and hopefully will have some extras like commentary, etc. "Pursued", which was written by Niven Busch and directed by action master Raoul Walsh was a landmark "psychological" western, and is greatly deserving of a first class presentation. Paramount did a super job in their presentations last year of 'Seven Men From Now" and "Hondo" on DVD, so one expects they will continue the good work with "Johnny Guitar" and "Pursued".

By re-acquiring the old Republic and NTA catalogs in January, Paramount obtained a treasure trove of excellent old time western films of the 1940's and 50's. Hopefully, the release of "Johnny Guitar", and "Pursued" will be the start of a wave of releases of many of these excellent vintage westerns. Many of these westerns have been previouslly discussed in this thread. In addition to "Pursued" and "Johnny Guitar", the following is a partial chronolgical listing of the vintage first rate westerns Paramount recently acquired:

"The Dark Command" (1940)
"In Old Sacramento" (1946)
"The Plainsman and the Lady" (1946)
"Angel and the Badman" (1947)
"The Fabulous Texan" (1947)
"Ramrod" (1947)
"Wyoming" (1947)
"Four Faces West"(1948)
"The Gallant Legion" (1948)
"Old Los Angeles" (1948)
"The Plunderers" (1948)
"Brimstone" (1949)
"Hellfire" (1949)
"The Last Bandit" (1949)
"The Savage Horde" (1949)
"South of St. Louis (1949)
"Rio Grande" (1950)
"The Showdown" (1950)
"Singing Guns" (1950)
"Distant Drums" (1951)
"Oh Susanna" (1951)
"Only the Valiant" (1951)
"Bugles in the Afternoon" (1952)
"High Noon" (1952)
"Ride the Man Down" (1952)
"Hell's Outpost" (1954)
"The Outcast" (1954)"
"The Last Command" (1955)
"A Man Alone" (1955)
"The Road To Denver" (1955)
"Santa Fe Passage" (1955)

Most of these have never been released on DVD, and the few that were previously released are in need of a higher quality release. Paramount now has so many excellent westerns on hand, that it might be a good idea for them to release them in collections of five or six westerns at a time, in somewhat the same fashion as Warners is releasing its treasure trove of vintage noir films. Jim Bur

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator
As reported on another thread, Fox has announced that it will be releasing "The Tall Men" (1955) in August as part of its Clark Gable collection. "The Tall Men" was mentioned at the outset of this thread as one of the outstanding westerns in need of a DVD release. Thank you to Fox for making it happen.

"The Tall Men" is one of the best westerns of the 1950's, and arguably Clark Gable's best post war film. It is probably the 2nd best cattle drive movie ever made, after 'Red River". It is directed by the great action filmaker, Raoul Walsh, who also directed, among other films, "White Heat", "High Sierra", "They Died With Their Boots On", "Captain Horatio Hornblower", 'Gentleman Jim", "Pursued", "The Roaring Twenties", 'The Bowery", "Objective Burma", "Colorado Territory", and many other action classics, and "The Tall Men" is the equal of most of the aforementioned films.

In addition to "The Tall Men", the collection also features the adventure classic "The Call of the Wild (1935), and another strong adventure film "Soldier of Fortune" (1954), making it easily one of the best collections offered so far this year. "The Tall Men" is clearly one of the best classic western DVD releases of the year, and is highly recommended for purchase.

Jim Bur

Corey

Screenwriter
northwest passage will be out this year in the spencer tracy collection from WB.

Daniel BARBIEUX

Stunt Coordinator

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator
It is being reported on another thread that Fox will be releasing on DVD the classic western "Jesse James" (1939) on September 5, 2006. That was one of the outstanding westerns in need of a DVD release discussed on this thread, and many thanks to Fox for making it happen. "Jesse James" was one of the all time great westerns of Hollywood's golden age and is highly recommended for purchase. "Jesse James" was directed by the the underrated Henry King who directed such other western classics as "The Gunfighter" (1950) and "The Bravados" (1958), and also directed such other great films as "Stanley and Livinsgstone" (1939), "The Black Swan" (1942), "Twelve O'Clock High" (1949), "I'd Climb the Highest Mountain" (1951), etc. At the same time Fox will apparently be separately releasing on DVD the Fritz Lang directed sequel "The Return of Frank James" (1940) and the Nicholas Ray directed remake "The True Story of Jesse James (1958), both of which are definitely worth a look. Once again Fox has been doing an impressive job so far this year in releasing its classic films. c Jim Bur

Seth.H

Agent
Has anyone seen Pocket Money with Lee Marvin? I am trying to collect most of Marvin's films, but this one seems to be quite difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks