What's new

Oscar Watch 2005 - pre-awards discussion (1 Viewer)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Don't we usually know who the host is by now?

EDIT: Just checked and apparently last year's host wasn't announced until mid October. Still, I'm dying to know!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I've never seen a Woody film, but I've seen trailers for many of his films. The trailer definitely took me by surprise.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Wow, that looks... damn. Definitely a departure from nebbish but lovable new york jew who gets the girl whilst pontificating on chic philosophy and culture.

:D

Saw In Her Shoes, I would not be surprised if both Toni Collette and Cameron Diaz are nominated in best actress category with Shirley Maclaine a frontrunner to win best supporting actress. It's also the best film I've seen this year, very powerful and truthful examination of family. It is an outstanding film I want very much to see again.

Curtis Hanson and his actresses truly knocked this film out of the park, having seen it, I think it could easily mount a very strong campaign for a best picture nomination, it's an amazing crowd pleaser at male-female 15-95. :)

Adam

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I've seen two Oscar caliber movies in the last two days. Last night, I saw The Constant Gardener and tonight I saw A History of Violence. For me, the summer ended and the fall season began last night.

Ralph Fiennes gives perhaps his best performance since Schindler's List in TCG and Viggo Mortensen gives a career best in AHOV. Rachel Weisz and Maria Bello are terrific as well as Ed Harris. The one performance that has the best chance of a nomination IMHO is William Hurt's brief, but powerful turn in AHOV.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Wow. That trailer for Match Point certainly looks like a departure for Allen. Seems like a hip thriller version of Crimes and Misdemeanors.

hanson mat

Stunt Coordinator
I've read some threads in other entertainment forums and they are discussing Shopgirl and think that Claire Danes will get a nod as best actress. Anyone know anything about the film?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Shopgirl has gotten mixed reviews but good notices for the performances, since it has a mid-October release date and is a relatively small film, we'll have to wait and see how the oscar campaign for the film works itself out, and how other films with strong female leads fare. Right now both Reese Witherspoon in Walk the Line and Cameron Diaz from In Her Shoes are frontrunners for nominations because they are major awards releases by their respective studios and are guaranteed large and probably very effective oscar campaigns. It's hard to predict from year to year how the smaller indie films and the bigger studio pics will mix it up come oscar time, so it's anybody's guess for Shopgirl.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I caught a screening of Good Night and Good Luck tonight, I think I understand Quentin now. It's an exceptional film, but not the sort of rallying film that makes the academy feel good about voting for it. It's more akin to Kinsey than Million Dollar Baby--hell I like Kinsey more in retrospect than I did M$B.

The most remarkable thing about the film is how much it is like a journalistic piece. It doesn't attempt to skew perspective, rally the audience or tidily wrap the story up--there's no catharsis, just the facts. There's a Robert Downey Jr. subplot that's a bit like filler, but that is my only complaint. Straithern is utterly riveting as Murrow, I see him as a very strong frontrunner for Best Actor, and I think the film is also a strong contender in editing and cinematography. Like good journalism, the film is clear and concise, I hope it does well and isn't relegated to the Sunday afternoon graveyard.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
To my shock, In Her Shoes hasn't been getting the notices I thought it would. I glanced at Scharwzbaum's review in EW and I think she's totally off base and the LATimes ran a snide review that claimed it didn't go to the depths of a 'real' family drama like You Can Count on Me. Pshaw! :P

They're reviewing the film like it's a minor genre step up from Sweet Home Alabama when it's not even part of that genre (it's being sold like that but that's not what the film is), it's a shame the critics don't even care about masterful balance of high caliber storytelling, appealing entertainment, outstanding performances and earned emotional qualities if they can pigeonhole a film just like the rest of America does. If Billy Wilder were working today, the Apartment probably get mostly passes as just another pathetic rom-com.

Sorry, I had to vent, this is my favorite film of the year, and I don't like seeing it sold short, but I guess that's the price this film payed for critics seeing it at critics screenings, cause with a real audience this film is incredible.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I found the performance normal, completely unremarkable and forgettable. Just... normal. Never gave it a thought. Then I come home, and read here and there that it was great and memorable? Why??!!

--
H

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Good Night, etc: 96% at Rotten Tomatoes, 80 at Metacritic. The academy's infatuation for actors-turned-directors, combined with the apparent high quality of the film makes me think a best director and maybe even best picture nom are not entirely out of the question. I may revise this statement when I actually see the movie this weekend.

And yeah, I fully agree about that new Jarhead trailer. FYI, Roger Deakins, Walter Murch, and Thomas Newman are working on this one.

Also FYI, here are the top 10 best reviewed films of 2005 so far, courtesy of metacritic.com-

1.Capote90
2.Best of Youth, The89
3.Nobody Knows87
4.Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit87
5.Murderball87

6.Grizzly Man86
7.Turtles Can Fly85
8.Kings and Queen84
9.Tim Burton's Corpse Bride83
10.White Diamond, The

Capote is running a 100% at RT!

Nick Park, Wallace and Gromit creator, already has 2 oscars for his shorts. Curse of the Were-Rabbit is a shoe-in, I think, for animated picture. Critics are really creaming their pants over this.

Newsweek has an article promoting Capote, The Squid and the Whale, and Nine Lives, praising the acting in those films particularly. Also, the cast of Crash was on Oprah.

Regards,
Nathan

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Talk about being out of the loop, I've only heard about 2 movies on this list and seen 1! :eek:

--
H

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Ummmmm...wow. Syriana looks REALLY good. Topical, A-list cast, intense. The "Traffic" comparison comes to mind even without knowing Gaghan's involvement. I think that film may be a contender. What's the buzz?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S

Guessing you've heard of either Corpse Bride, Capote or Wallace and Gromit...

Capote - film about the struggle of Truman Capote to write In Cold Blood

Best of Youth = eight hour Italian miniseries released here as two four hour parts

Nobody Knows - a japanese film about kids whose parents die and must fend for themselves with no one else to care for them.

Wallace and Gromit - claymation feature of the famed shorts duo from Aardman Entertainment

Murderball - documentary on the parapalegic sport Murderball

Grizzly Man - Herzog documentary on a guy who lived with bears and was eaten by bears.

Turtles Can Fly - Iranian film, I think it's about children.

Kings and Queens - minor indie film that barely made a splash and was gone

Corpse Bride - Tim Burton's second claymation, this a sweet fable with a morbid title.

White Diamond - I haven't head of this one.

-----

That pretty much is the buzz on Syriana Quentin, A list cast, topical, intense, Gaghen Traffic connection. Clooney gained weight and is rumored to be oscar lock number four for best actor.

Actually we probably have five front runners for best actor right now

Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote
David Straithern - Good Night, and Good Luck
Joaquin Phoenix - Walk the Line
George Clooney - Syriana
Heath Ledger - Brokeback Mountain

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
The Cinematography award

The Academy Awards consist of the majors (picture, director, actors, screenplays), the crafts (art direction, costume, makeup, editing, cinematography), technicals (visual effects, sound, sound effects), the minors (doucumentary, foreign, animation, shorts). The documentary feature category is larger in recent years, but historically it is small.

No one ever does a projection for cinematography, it's merely 'a craft'--hard to predict. The majors with Directors, Actors and Producers to interview make more readable press and more compelling figureheads for films and articles.

Most of the cinematographers are unfamiliar even to film buffs, though we know many of their films very well. The films in contention are all deserving, but a nomination depends on luck, memory, reputation and Oscar momentum. Here is a look at the field.

Among the twenty-five plus major Oscar releases this fall (and the seven earlier releases with exceptional photography) the Directors of Photography (DP) have fifteen Academy Award nominations and an additional eight Oscars statues. Chris Menges, John Toll, and Janusz Kaminski all have two. Philippe Rouselot and Andrew Lesnie both have one each. More on these DPs later

Seven pre-fall films still in the running:

Sin City
Star Wars Episode III
Batman Begins
Cinderella Man
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Everything is Illuminated

Undoubtedly I have forgotten some embarrassing major release

Three are serious contenders.

"Batman Begins" has the cinematography to earn a nomination, but DP Wally Pfister hasn't ever received more than an Indie Spirit Award nomination; his cachet and name recognition with other DPs is not legendary, yet. On the other hand, "Batman Forever" took home a nomination for best cinematography, so it is very possible for this entry in the franchise to carry on the torch despite being hindered with an early summer release.

The first Star Wars Prequels were ignored by the academy outside of effects and sound (a shame for their costume and makeup departments), but DP David Tattersall was finally unshackled for "Revenge of the Sith". He delivered a noir and Riefenstahl influenced film that is gorgeous to look at. The high shot of Anakin entering the jedi temple to slaughter children is one of the most memorable moments of 2005. Working against "Revenge of the Sith" is the digital bias and the perception that the film was created in computers not in the camera.

"2046" has potential because of Christopher Doyle. His name causes cinematographers to see a film. His work is renowned worldwide, but Doyle has no nominations from the West. "2046" may be the film to bring him his first nomination. On the other hand, the Academy didn't nominate the widely seen and praised "Hero," so "2046" is deserving but not a strong contender.

Those not likely to see nominations

"Sin City" isn't likely to be nominated. Digital bias and an early release work against the film. The digital manipulation in this film was loudly trumpeted. Rodriguez was also his own DP, which the guilds tolerate on occasion, but don't like. It is stunning, but that is the only favorable factor at this point.

"Cinderella Man" needs a major Oscar revival campaign, but still may only earn sympathy votes. DP Salvatore Totino has no major recognitions but earned several minor awards and nominations in his career. A solid worker with a short but distinguished career so far.

"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"
If DP Philippe Rousselot can't pick up a nomination for "Big Fish," it's doubtful this film can compete this year.

"Everything is Illuminated" is the sort of small and wonderfully shot film that should get a chance. DP Matthew Libatique will wait for future recognition of his immense talents. He'll sit this year out

THE FORMER OSCAR NOMINEES (and their 2005 films)

Remi Adeferasin
(Match Point) – one nom for "Elizabeth"
Dioni Beebe(Memoirs of a Geisha) – one nom for "Chicago"
Cesar Charlone(Constant Gardener) – one nom for "City of God"
Donald McAlpine(Chronicles of Narnia) – one nom for "Moulin Rouge"
Pawel Edelman(All the King's Men & Oliver Twist) – one nom for "The Pianist"
Stephen Goldblatt(Rent) – two noms for "Batman Forever" and "Prince of Tides"
Emmanuel Lubeszki(New World) – two noms for "Sleepy Hollow" and "Little Princess"
Roger Deakens(Jarhead) – FIVE noms for "The Man Who Wasn't There," "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" "Fargo," "Kundun," "The Shawshank Redemption"

The THREE STANDOUTS

Dioni Beebe
Memoirs of a Geisha's photography has more buzz than any other aspect of the film (except the Chinese-geisha controversy). The photography is also the standout aspect of the trailer.

Emmanuel Lubeszki is shooting "The New World" in 70mm, need we really say more? Most DPs will probably make the effort to see it in first run in 70mm, and it helps the first trailer for this film was visual poetry. He's working with the legendary Terrence Malick. This is the clearest frontrunner in the cinematography race.

Roger Deakens is a living legend, his work looks stunning in "Jarhead," a nomination depends both on Oscar momentum and Deakens' name ensuring that cinematographers see the film and nominate it.

The OTHERS

"Constant Gardener," "Match Point" and "All the King's Men" are the next tier of competitors.

"Oliver Twist" is unlikely to cancel out Edelman, but it has received more notices for the caliber of cinematography than for the caliber of the film. The film is currently dead in the water, not likely to be strongly remembered.

"Rent" and "Narnia" are films that could surprise. Both contain elements that appeal to a photographic sensibility. Narnia also benefits from being an epic; whether or not they're major competitors this year is another story.

ASC and BAFTA FORMER NOMINEES

Rodrigo Prieto
(Brokeback Mountain) – ASC Nom for Frida
Phedon Papamichael(Walk the Line) – two ASC television noms
Peter Suschitzky(History of Violence) – BAFTA nom for Valentino
Andrew Dunn(Mrs. Henderson Presents) – three BAFTA wins (two television) and two nominations

Prieto is the standout of this group and westerns are favorable to photographic recognition.

If "Walk the Line" hits its stride, it may carry along coattail nominations. The field is so strong any film that generates strong momentum will have the word of mouth--the buzz--to remain in people's minds from now until they complete the ballot.

OTHER CONTENDERS:
Adam Kimmel
(Capote)
Giles Nuttgens(Bee Season)
John Bailey(Producers)
Jonathan Brown(Family Stone)
Oliver Stapleton(Casanova)
Robert Elswit(Good Night and Good Luck)
Robert Elswit(Syriana)
Roman Osin(Pride and Prejudice)
Terry Stacy(In Her Shoes)

Robert Elswit is a frontrunner. "Good Night, and Good Luck" has few competitors in its cinematographic league this year. For traditional cinematographers, the film is an anti-"Sin City." The outstanding black and white cachet will keep the film in the minds of nominators and voters. It is probably as strong a lock as "New World" at this point.

"Capote" and "Syriana" are the second tier. Like the many other films fighting to be seen, they're depending on overall momentum to keep them in voters' minds.

"The Producers" is still a little unknown, but I feel it is not-likely at the moment.

The rest of this batch is unlikely to receive a nomination. They're studio films and will receive a push.

FORMER OSCAR WINNERS

Andrew Lesnie has a perfect record at the Oscars--won one, lost none. "King Kong" is not considered as likely as "The Lord of Rings" to garner nominations, although the story of the big ape does have a great deal of appeal as well as catharsis. Any nomination hinges on the Awards-reception of the film. Peter Jackson has a history of having entertaining blockbusters reap major nominations.

Janusz Kaminski is Spielberg's DP. He won for "Schindler's List" and "Saving Private Ryan," lost for "Amistad" and was never nominated for his best work, "A.I." On the other hand, no-one's seen any footage of "Munich". Time will tell, but his name has the caliber to make him a contender without having seen a trailer. A fourth nomination would cause him to surpass Allen Daviau as the Spielberg cinematographer with the most nominations.

John Toll shot "Elizabethtown," he won for "Braveheart" and "Legends of the Fall," and earned a nomination for "The Thin Red Line." On the other hand, Elizabethtown doesn't seem to have the positive momentum for a sustained award campaign.

Chris Menges lensed "North Country." He earned Academy Awards for "The Mission," and "The Killing Fields." He was nominated for "Michael Collins." Not a frontrunner at this point, though a strong reception for the film could change that.

AWARD SUMMARY

The LOCKS
Emmanuel Lubeski
(The New World)
Robert Elswit (Good Night and Good Luck)

CURRENT FRONTRUNNERS, waiting to position themselves
Roger Deakens
(Jarhead)
Dioni Beebe (Memoirs of a Geisha)
Rodrigo Prieto (Brokeback Mountain)
Phedon Papamichael (Walk the Line)
Janusz Kaminski (Munich)

STILL IN THE GAME
David Tattersall (Star Wars)
Wally Pfister (Batman Begins)
Pawel Edelmen (two films, more likely for All the King's Men)
Cesar Charlone (Constant Gardener)
Donald McAlpine (Narnia)
Stephen Goldblatt (Rent)
Robert Elswit (Syriana)
John Baily (the Producers)
Andrew Lesnie (King Kong)

Adam

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Adam S, thanks for that excellent post. I agree with everything you said. Lubeski, Deakins, and Elswit are definitely in. Kaminski will probably get in there.

I think Syriana will resonate very well with critics. The immediacy of the subject matter and killer marketing campaign will help a great deal. Elswit could concievably get a double nomination, and it looks like a good year for Clooney as well.

I'm going to go out on a limb an call some early locks:

Jarhead: 6+ noms, including picture, director, and editing
Phil Hoffman for Capote
Dave Strathairn in Good Night, which I think will do quite well (I still have to see it first)

Charlize Theron (there are so few substantial female roles this year that I think any strong role in a well-recieved film will probably be nominated)

Joaquin Pheonix
Rachel Wiesz for supporting

Crash for screenplay. People are still talking about this movie.

And a few techies for King Kong.

I also want to say actor, supporting actor and actress, and screenplay for All the King's Men, but I won't just yet.

History of Violence is new line...do you think they'll do a marketing push? Personally, I think it's the film of the year so far.

What is the early word on Brokeback Mountain?

I'll post more thoughts later.

Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks