What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Paramount Presents! Ordinary People (1980) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Directed by Robert Redford, the Academy Award®-Winning Classic Arrives in a Newly Remastered Blu-ray™

image001.png

Newest Addition to the Paramount Presents Line Debuts March 29, 2022
with New Interviews

Robert Redford made his directorial debut with the critically acclaimed drama ORDINARY PEOPLE, arriving on Blu-ray as part of the Paramount Presents line March 29, 2022 from Paramount Home Entertainment.

Winner of four Academy Awards®—including Best Picture, Best Director (Redford), Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium (Alvin Sargent), and Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Timothy Hutton)—ORDINARY PEOPLE was hailed as “an intelligent, perceptive, and deeply moving film” (Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times) and “a powerfully intimate domestic drama” (Todd McCarthy, Variety).

Donald Sutherland, Mary Tyler Moore, and Timothy Hutton give powerful and moving performances as a family being torn apart by tragedy and the unrelenting pressure to maintain a façade of normalcy. ORDINARY PEOPLE marked Hutton’s first film role and his performance not only earned him the Oscar® for Best Actor in a Supporting Role, but it also made him the youngest person to win in the category.

Remastered from a new 4K film transfer overseen by Redford, the Paramount Presents Blu-ray is presented in collectible packaging featuring a foldout image of the film’s theatrical poster and an interior spread with key movie moments. The disc also includes new interviews with Hutton and Judith Guest, author of the novel upon which the movie was based.

Bonus content is as follows:

• Swimming in the Rose Garden— In this new featurette, Best Supporting Actor Oscar® winner Timothy Hutton reflects on filming ORDINARY PEOPLE and the intriguing approach director Robert Redford took to create a feeling of isolation on set.
  • Feeling is Not Selective— Acclaimed American novelist Judith Guest discusses her novel and the process involved in adapting it for film.
  • Theatrical Trailer

About Paramount Presents
This collectible line spans celebrated classics to film-lover favorites, each from the studio’s renowned library. Every Paramount Presents release features never-before-seen bonus content and exclusive collectible packaging. Additional titles available in the Paramount Presents collection on Blu-ray include: Fatal Attraction, King Creole, To Catch a Thief, Flashdance, Days of Thunder, Pretty In Pink, Airplane!, Ghost, Roman Holiday, The Haunting, The Golden Child, Trading Places, The Court Jester, Love Story, Elizabethtown, The Greatest Show on Earth, Mommie Dearest, Last Train From Gun Hill, 48 HRS., Another 48 HRS., Almost Famous, A Place in the Sun, Nashville, Bugsy Malone, Breakdown, The Sheik, Vanilla Sky, Ragtime, and Harold and Maude.

About Paramount Home Entertainment
Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment. PPC is a unit of ViacomCBS (NASDAQ: VIAC; VIACA), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands. The PHE division oversees PPC’s home entertainment and transactional digital distribution activities worldwide. The division is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment content on behalf of Paramount Pictures, Paramount Animation, Paramount Television Studios, Paramount Players, MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and CBS and applicable licensing and servicing of certain DreamWorks Animation titles. PHE additionally manages global licensing of studio content and transactional distribution across worldwide digital distribution platforms including online, mobile and portable devices and emerging technologies.

Paramount Presents: ORDINARY PEOPLE
Street Date: March 29, 2022
U.S. Rating: R

Endorsement Guidelines: Paramount Pictures Corporation and Paramount Home Entertainment (collectively “Paramount”) are not requesting or requiring any online or social media coverage, publication, or posting (i) in connection with this press release or (ii) in exchange for any products, materials, services, or any other benefit provided to recipient (“Recipient”) by Paramount in connection herewith. Recipient agrees that any social media posts or public statements made by Recipient in connection with this press release, any products, materials, services, or benefit provided to Recipient by Paramount will comply with all applicable laws, rules, regulations, guidelines, and/or policies (collectively, the “Laws”), including, without limitation, those concerning endorsements and testimonials in advertising in the territory(ies) in which Recipient resides and/or in which Recipient’s posts will be featured (for example, in the United States: Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”) endorsement disclosure guidelines, FTC FAQs, and “Disclosures 101 for Social Media Influencers,” all available at https://www.ftc.gov/influencers)). To the extent required by any Laws, Recipient shall include an accurate, clear, and conspicuous disclosure of any relationship between Recipient and Paramount in language that is easy to understand and in a noticeable manner.

“ACADEMY AWARD®” and “OSCAR®” are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Richard M S

Screenwriter
It's a Day One purchase for me.

I also have not seen it in its entirety since I saw the film in the theater, but interestingly I remember everything about the film all of these decades later, even the rainy bus trip to the theater.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Would love to have a historian commentary, but I'm looking a gift horse in its mouth. Great that this is coming out. Wish it was taken from the ON, but am hoping for something infinitely better than what I have on the European release.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
There are a number of interviews on youtube with Moore but they are mostly about TV. Anyone recall if there is one where she specifically discusses this movie?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm really happy this is coming out. I really wish a feature length commentary by all the stars (Mary Tyler Moore, Donald Sutherland, Judd Hirsch, and Timothy Hutton) was recorded at some point. But sometimes it all comes down to the feature itself, which in my opinion is the best dramatic film ever to grace cinema.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I was a film student in the early 80s and we (professors/students) were all incredulous that ORDINARY PEOPLE won Best Picture over Scorsese's RAGING BULL. Looking back, it's not a shock. RB is brilliant on every level but grim as hell (though I'm a sucker for redemption stories no matter how twisted the path.) Based on the commercial appeal of OP vs. RB and the voting tendencies of Academy Voters it's not a shock to me anymore and was naive to think that an Oscar would go to RAGING BULL for Best Picture. Too New York. Too much a mirror held up to a black and white hell of the human condition. Like many aspects of our culture, we've gone backwards. It's astounding that MIDNIGHT COWBOY received Best Picture.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I was a film student in the early 80s and we (professors/students) were all incredulous that ORDINARY PEOPLE won Best Picture over Scorsese's RAGING BULL. Looking back, it's not a shock. RB is brilliant on every level but grim as hell (though I'm a sucker for redemption stories no matter how twisted the path.) Based on the commercial appeal of OP vs. RB and the voting tendencies of Academy Voters it's not a shock to me anymore and was naive to think that an Oscar would go to RAGING BULL for Best Picture. Too New York. Too much a mirror held up to a black and white hell of the human condition. Like many aspects of our culture, we've gone backwards. It's astounding that MIDNIGHT COWBOY received Best Picture.

Yes, I remember rooting for Raging Bull but had also loved Ordinary People. Both pictures are amazing pieces of cinema. You can't fault either one and if you had to lose to something I think losing to Ordinary People is a fine way to lose.

I have not watched Ordinary People in a very, very long time. I think a couple of decades maybe. The cast in the film is absolutely fantastic. Moore, Sutherland, and Hutton give extraordinary performances that were all award worthy. They are dealing with subject matter that I think is more relatable to most people than the ballad of Jake LaMotta and so that does make the film more "commercial" at the time.

Funny now how all Ordinary People would be is a little independent production. Not sure how much acclaim it might get today and it would not even be a theater worthy film, probably locked in as a streamer.

At the time though, that was a film that actors would have wanted to be in. It gave people great parts to play that they really could show their skills in. Watching a clip from it now gives me goosebumps at how stunning the actors are. It is true cinema that sets you down in a time and place and lets you live with those people and feel where they are coming from. Redford really knew what the hell he was doing.

The film was a giant influence on a guy like Paul Thomas Anderson. You can see it in so many of his pictures. Back then the idea was develop this great story and script, put actors in a position to be able to submerse themselves in their roles, pace the story to draw people in, and by the time you are 20 minutes into the film...you are so lost in it you don't even know you are watching actors. A picture like Ordinary People defines this.

Moore was so good in this that people just hated her. They forgot all about how much they had loved her TV characters. Sutherland is so sneaky good you can't see he is acting and makes Moore seem all the more evil. I am really looking forward to getting reacquainted with this one.

As a small aside I believe this was one of those films they showed over and over on early pay TV and so I watched it many times. It was one of those films I could come into it at any point and then I would end up sitting through the whole thing.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
You do feel that this character is closer to the real Mary Tyler Moore than Mary Richards. A tribute to the performance.
The only thing I know about her personally is that when I was very young my parents had a friend who was best friends with Rose Marie. She used to visit her on the set of the DVD show. She told us she remembered Moore bringing her son to the set and being a doting mother.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks