What's new

*** Official THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Only 13 hours until the hour of doom ... how did it come to this? :)

I've avoided most audio-visual spoilers, only reading descriptions of ROTK's content where possible (I did see the trailer and hear Into the West though).

I'm VERY psyched, and a lot of people here at work are, too. For once, I really do think the film will actually live up to the hype.

I remember two years ago, when Ron Epstein had announced he had seen Fellowship of the Ring, I asked him a question: Did it provide that true but elusive fantasy feel that very very few films of its genre have given? He had said yes, and to a good degree I thought it did as well when I saw it. The Two Towers did not nearly as much elicit that feel, but both films really did give something more than I expected: I got to witness *great* filmmaking in a mass-marketed film, something I usually have gotten only from independent, lesser-known titles. While I'm really hoping Jackson has recaptured for us that oh-so-hard-to-do-right fantasy feel, I'm still confident that, after seeing ROTK tonight, this series of films will go down as one of the greatest classics -- for storytelling, for film, for sheer epic scope, and (with some luck) for that true fantasy quality that will be the epitomy of its genre.

Oh, were it midnight already! Oh, the agony of the wait! :)

--

On a tangential note, about that MSNBC article posted in the other thread, I have a friend like that -- he cannot get any enjoyment out of cartoons because his mind is SO literal that he cannot accept the "Cartoon Reality Rules", so when Wile E. Coyote hovers in midair for a couple seconds before falling 1000 feet to his "doom", only to come back again in another scene...my friend switches off immediately and rants about it. Though I do value our friendship, that's one of the most frustrating things to deal with in it -- and I think that MSNBC "critic" is of the same mold, and there's nothing you can do to change his ways. I don't think it's attention he's craving, but just the same, best to ignore him.

--

Is it midnight yet? What...only 11:15am, 15 minutes after I last checked?! Arrrrrgh!

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I'm doing trilogy Wednesday at home tomorrow. When we bought our tickets there wasn't a tuesday midnight showing, so we got 11:00 pm tickets to Wednesdays showing.

Although I haven't been on the board lately, I'm sure I'll spend some time in this thread in the coming weeks.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Nuts to all of you! :D I have no idea when I'll find time to see ROTK until probably after Christmas. :frowning:

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
The reviews are pouring in and they're uniform, gushing praise. Part of me is very excited to see this film tomorrow, and just as big a part of me dreads it, because this is it. After this there's the extended ROTK, but no new films.. the buildup for this has existed since I was a kid, and now it's gonna be all over. But man, talk about a wealth of great material left behind. I just hope that the Hobbit one day gets its turn with such great care.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
We're waiting until next Tuesday to see it (my birthday). It's become a tradition to see a LOTR movie every year. I hope there's something good next year.:D

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I watched FotR:EE last night, and will be watching TTT:EE this afternoon in preparation for tomorrow. The theater here doesn't pre-sell tickets, or have midnight or morning shows, so I will start standing in line at around 1-2pm for the 7pm show. And after FOTR last night, I drove by the theater again. Those 2 guys were still out braving the rain and wind. I hope they take a shower before the show starts! ;)

Brian

Kim D

Stunt Coordinator
I am reading RotK again. My husband told me this morning that he might take tomorrow off and join me for an afternoon showing. I haven't bought tickets yet.

I LOVE the anticipation. I LOVE the fact that I might not get tickets tomorrow. I LOVE reading spoilers. It just makes me that much more excited to see the movie.

Masochistic? You betcha BUT only when it comes to LotR.

- kim

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
There will be a negative review up there soon.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/u..._1c16lord.html

He seems to think that only people born after such epics as Lawrence of Arabia and The Godfather came out would like LotR. :rolleyes

Also, JoBlo and JoBlo's movie emporium only gave it a 6/10. Still, it's remarkable the nearly unanimous gushing from mainstream critics over this film, I don't know if I even saw that with Fellowship or Towers. Even, Richard Roeper, a guy who disliked Fellowship, seems to love King. Only 31 more hours!!! ;)

Brian

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Down to 172 hours. :)

Pity i'll have to bail this thread once more and more people start seeing it. Hope you guys have fun. I enjoyed reading the other thread for the past couple of years.

Arman

Screenwriter
Midnight and tomorrow night for me. I want to be part of history once this film rules us all. :D

Have fun and enjoy everyone!

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
4:55 pm tomorrow. I'm just dying!

My preorder of TTT:EE got lost in the mail and only arrived Saturday. I loaded it up at 10:15 pm and watched it through until almost 2:00 am. I am so juiced for this final installment!

JohnE

Supporting Actor
This will be the 3rd year in a row my pals and I have done the midnight showing. It like a tradition now. I am absolutley stoked. I feel the way I did as a kid when the day of Christmas finally arived.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I saw it last night--and I don't know if I want to see it again so soon. Not because it's bad, but that movie put me and my girlfriend through the wringer. That's a good thing, but I don't want TOO much of a good thing.

I'll give it awhile. It's not like it's not going to be in theaters for the next 3 months anyway ;)

My full review is up in the review thread.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor

Ha! You should've seen the dedicated people at the Uptown [movie theater], backed up for hundreds and hundreds of feet for Episode 1. Opening day I walked out of my apartment, walked a minute up to Uptown and waltzed in side door due to a projector jam! :)

Anywho, I was talking with a friend about some type of Maya ($10k+ software for video [cgi, etc]) filter which allowed every element in a CGI shot to act independently, ie : a shot of orcs battling, each of them act according to their own, not copy and pasted at certain intervals. If anyone knows the name of this standalone/filter[?] I'd love to research it, thanks!

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter

When there is unanimous praise for something and then something like this comes along blasting it.. it says clearly that the person that wrote it is an idiot rather than that the movie is not good.

edit - After having read that review, I've got to ask if the reviewer is even aware that the Lord of the Rings was a book? I'm not kidding.. he seems completely unaware of the fact that it's an adaptation rather than an original story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks