What's new

*** Official THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Reporting live from the W.T. Young Library.

Well, I've been stuck at this library since 11:00am, and I'm going to be here till 11:00pm.

But of course, it'll make ROTK all the more sweeter come tomorrow. It all begins and ends at the same time.

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Got tix for tomorrow at 11:20 AM for me, a buddy, and my best bud, my 13 year old son, Tim. This AM, went to his school to find out what time Wednesday morning's Xmas play practice ends. Told the principal I am coming to get him at 10:30 & taking him to the movies. She thought it was an excellent idea. Who says education in America doesn't work?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
If this guy was paying attention during FotR he would have known that Gandalf had that power.

I've never liked the reviewer for BoxOfficeMojo. I disagree with just about every review he's written. Nevertheless, his 'B' for RotK still has to be considered positive.

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Benson-

I was disappointed with Whitty's review, too. I thought it missed the point and offered nothing to back up his criticisms. I rarely read him because I think he brings so little to the table. Did you notice that, 2 pages later, he was bylined on a sidebar that lamented the loss of Saruman? The tone of that piece made him sound like a big fan of the movies.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
It's driving me nuts knowing there are still tickets available to tonight's showing and to 2 earlier showings tomorrow before I get to see the movie. I'd go to one of those, but I hate going to watch a movie in a theater by myself.

Stephen_Dar

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen it yet (tickets for tomorrow night Grove theaters Hollywood), but I will say this is one thing Jackson has consistently had problems with. Tolkien took pains to try and explain every situation like this rather than having characters pull new powers out of thin air to conveniently solve problems, and I will continue to lament the writers of the movies for their f'ing up of this particular quality. I saw movies 1 and 2 before reading the book, and I was mystified by a lot of things, like why didn't Gandalf use his powers to fight off their attackers in Moria. In the larger sense, I was mystified at the idea that you have all these superheros with superpowers yet none of them wants to do anything about the ring, they want to dump the whole task on the helpless hobbits. In the movie that made little sense, in the book he took great pains to explain why it had to be that way. Too bad Jackson f'd that up.

Having said that, however, and having been critical of the writers in the TTT/EE thread, I will add this. I'm rereading the book and just passed the council of Elrond scene. Overall I think Jackson improved upon it in the movie vs the book. Instead of having Gandalf read the lines on the ring for no apparent reason, he does it in the movie to quiet an argument. Instead of the whole group sitting in silence trying to make Frodo take the job of ring bearer, he takes the job to silence same argument. Instead of having a second "council" later when the other hobbits join the fellowship, he has them listen in like Sam. Very nicely done.

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
I saw it. It is 5.40AM in Germany and I am too shaken to sleep. This is the fantastic conclusion to one of the greatest movies of all time. The beginning hour feels a little uneven, just like in TT and I might need to watch it again to fully be pulled into the world, but the last two hours are the best cinema I was ever allowed to witness.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I just got back from Trilogy Tuesday. I didn't have to wait in line because the theater did the smart thing and assigned seating to your ticket. I'll try and see if I can scan to show you guys what I mean. It's really cool.

As for the movie itself, WOW! I'm sitting here and I still can't believe how great the movie is. Just about every character got their own little individual moment to shine and they all came through.

Everything about this movie ruled. Everything from the cinematography to the editing to the music to costue design rocked my world. I'm gonna see this sucker a few more times before it's out of the theater and then watch it a bunch on DVD.

While it's pretty obvious that the movie will get Best Pic and Best Director nominations as well as technical nominations, I hope the Academy doesn't overlook the acting. For what it is worth, I think Viggo Mortensen, Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Sean Astin, and Miranda Otto deserve a shot at nominations. I would put Viggo in Best Actor with McKellen, Serkis, and Astin in Supporting Actor and Miranda in Supporting Actress.

I'll be the first to call for a special Oscar to be given to Andy Serkis. :)

Kami

Screenwriter
Well, I just got back from Trilogy Tuesday. I am exhausted....but I wasn't exhausted enough to diminish my enjoyment of ROTK. It was, like FOTR and TTT, so much more powerful the second time around. I swear I had adrenaline surging through me during some of the battle scenes and it moved me to tears once again. Not even my first viewing of FOTR made this kind of impression on me...I am truly in awe what has been done with ROTK.

They also gave away a totally AWESOME Sideshow Weta collectible to everyone attending. I can't find it on Sideshow's site so I guess they don't sell it. It's a "film frame collectible" and in a small desk stand it contains a REAL 35mm film strip (anamorphic and everything :D) from all 3 films, and every single one is unique. The piece of paper enclosed with it says that Sideshow made these at the request of New Line Cinema as sort of a gift to the fans. This was a surprise...I had no idea they were giving them away. Here is a small pic of it (flash ruins it but you get the idea). I actually got two because some fool in my row left his on the floor after ROTK. His loss. :D

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I couldn't afford to skip work for Trilogy Tuesday, (getting married costs out the ass, no?) so I'm accompaning three co-workers tomorrow morning for the 11AM showing. We should be able to see it and grab a bite to eat with about a half-hour remaining before work. :emoji_thumbsup:

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Well I'm just anxiously awaiting to see everyone's account of their ROTK viewing. I myself am going to the 10:30 AM showing tommorrow. Being that it's 1:15 right now I have less than 9 hours to go before I get to see what I've been waiting for forever, the finale of the second best (see signature) movie trilogy of all time. I haven't read the books, so everything is gonna come as a surprise, and I can't wait. :D

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Just got back from Trilogy Tuesday and it was the best movie going experience I have ever had. Seeing this epic from beginning to end in one 11 1/2 hour span is something I will never forget. You really feel like you went on journey with the characters. It was amazing! It will be odd to see ROTK by itself in later viewings. This trilogy is perfect and I love every moment I have spent with these characters. The ending is perfect and brought tears to my eyes. Thank you Peter Jackson and team for the best movies ever made. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! Bring on the 4+ hour EE.

One comment about the Box office mojo review. I was under the impression that Gandalf did not summon the eagles but they just showed up to help out in the war.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Got back from Trilogy Tuesday - what a great, wonderful achievement. I was dissapointed with TTT, but not so with ROTK. Changes were made, but not major thematic or character changes, like TTT I miss some of the stuff that was excised for the DVD, but it still kicked ass anyway. The ending didn't make me as sad as the ending of Babylon 5, but it was pretty good. Excellent - almost to the level of FOTR (maybe better, it will take repeat watches).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks