What's new

May Austin HTF Meet. (1 Viewer)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Three possible topics for the next HT event, and two of them are new ideas - I like it. BTW, with the extreme masochistic overloading this group is into, am I correct in assuming that April is out?

Okay, how 'bout a vote for a May 10 meet topic? Please everyone participate and vote for one of the following:

A. Vinyl versus CD sound-off, plus DIY versus commercial speaker sound-off, plus build something or possibly discuss a DIY topic.

B. The *Parade of HTs* tour.

C. HT barn-raising (IF Chad and his wife agree)

I'll go ahead and vote: A (But I really like the other ideas (maybe some of us could do C this month.)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
A. (But perhaps for those that are not that interested in resurrecting vinyl - as I don't know that many films that have come out on vinyl ;) , we can plan on some sort of video comparisons or a HT systems design workshop while the others debate over the quality of vinyl.)

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
I'm in agreement with Nils, (A) gets my vote IF we come up with a video portion for the meet as well. I saw instructions on AVS for a DIY 6500K lamp. I think it only cost about $60 in parts.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
I like Jonathan's idea (B) - the "HT parade of homes." What's more fun than seeing everybody's home theaters all in a single day?

Chad Anson

Second Unit
My room is coming along at a good (albeit slow) clip! :) Framing is done. HVAC is done. Electrical will be done next Tuesday.I'll be running conduit this weekend and starting to put up insulation. Next weekend, more insulation. Then, the big D -- drywall.

I'd be happy to host a DIY event. Let me check with the wife re: May 10. Hopefully by that date, I will be ready to start or will have begun the following projects: stage/proscenium, equipment rack, columns, stage, seating platform, screen frame for DIY screen, and acoustical treatments. Lots of fun stuff to choose from! :)

My vote for the May 10 topic is (b). For me, looking at a a finished theater would be a nice change of pace! ;)

Hank, I'd definitely like to enlist the services of HF Soundwerks for component cable(s). I was planning on running conduit this and next weekend. Do you think a component cable (~15-20ft) would be difficult to pull through an in-place conduit?

Dave Elliott

Stunt Coordinator
Doh! I have a wedding reception on May 10th, but if its another day I'll be there.

I like the idea of a Parade of HTs. Maybe do the north locations one day and south locations at the next event.

-Dave

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Ah man! My system doesn't count as a coolio theater!:frowning:

Just because I dont have a Front Projector...ramble, ramble...Hank doesn't either...ramble...Wait I see you have a northside vs. southside thing going on, as Greg is absent too...You northsiders...ramble, ramble!!!
:D

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Dang, I knew I forgot someone, sorry Greg! Scott, didn't mean to dis you, but I thought you were getting out of HT and going strictly two-channel, no? Which brings up an interesting question, what qualifies a system as a home theater?

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
I still have all my same gear as last time you were here.

Still I have only a 2.1 system so if 5.1 speakers means HT then I guess I don't qualify. Of course I am still not sold on the need for 5 speakers or 7 for that matter, nor do I think that should be the defining factor of what is HT. For me, I always end up viewing those extra speakers as "What if you had used the money spent on the center and surrounds towards buying better mains?" And I think I would keep asking myself that question until I had my "ultimate" speaker.

But anyhow I don't know about my participation in this upcoming meet, May and early June are going to be very hectic for me. We shall see, though May 10th would be about as good of a date as any for me to participate on.

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Yo Yo. South-side tappin in. Wheres all my homies.
I'm up for the 10th if we're not to busy at the shop. The parade of home theaters sounds pretty cool. If I sell my current speakers soon I will be in the process of making 5 DIY monitor speakers. So for maybe a future meet we could either do a cabinet construction, or a watch Greg burn his fingers while soldering crossover meet. I am also thinking about redoing my false front wall, so maybe put that out there later on if anyone is considering this option but wants to see how easy it is to con struck (very easy). Also since we're on the subject of free HTF member labor, my car is kind of dirty and the Alfa has an oil leak. Anyone, Anyone.

Greg

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Beware!!! There have been HUGE arguments on the HTF before about what makes a system a "home theater" as opposed to a "stereo" and/or a "TV."

Don't make me say "In before the lock!" in this thread... :)

Scott may have 2-channel sound, but I still got drawn into that excerpt from "We Were Soldiers" that was shown at a past meet. Not to mention I have several DVDs in my collection of films with mono or stereo sound.

It would be a bear to set up a good 6.1/FPTV system in Scott's living room. Perhaps that could itself be a meet topic: a design challenge! Perhaps if we start out with HF SoundWerks BoseBusters (tm) Gen. II speakers, it could be done. An ultra-compact DLP projector could probably throw a decent size image even from a ~10ft. distance across the room. Still left: we need four more channels of tube amplification, and a way of integrating it all into a living room with acceptable WAF. Bonus points if the room is comfortable during the summer months with all those space heaters - er, tube amps - in there...

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Keep the votes coming, you Austin HT-ers. Scott, you have a very nice rig and I will not participate in the "what constitutes a home theater" thing - it's a very personal choice based on priorities and of course budget. However, I will say that yes, there is a need for 5.1 (or more) if you want to reproduce all the channels recorded on DVD's, some of which are tastefully and realistically done. Some surround info, such as that in "Saving Private Ryan", that so impressed Jonathan, IMO, adds to the movie experience, pulling me a bit further into the story. My two Hz.

Speaking of DIY, I took a set of component video cables to Jeff M last night and that boy has fallen straight into the DIY syndrom. MDF dust and scrap all over his garage, and speaker cabs and parts in the living room. He has an understanding wife. Good cabinet work.

Chad Anson

Second Unit
Oops, my wife pointed out that we have a wedding to go to at 5:30 on the 10th. So, I've got until about 4pm that day. :frowning:

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Didn't realize I was opening a can of worms with the "what's a HT?" question. Sorry! Perhaps I should be Dr. Troublemaker instead of Dr. J?

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Well I'll step up to the bat and offer my opinion on what constitutes a "Home Theater". In my opinion, an "HT" system is one that has the ability to reproduce the original source and in an environment similar to that of a commercial theater (thus the name - Home "Theater").

When I advise someone on what specific basic criteria to include when designing a HT system I offer the following:

1) The sound system should be able to properly reproduce all types of soundtracks (Mono, Stereo, Pro-Logic, Multi-channel DD & DTS). If the budget allows for it, I would also advise a system that can handle 6.1 and 7.1 soundtracks as well. While there are very few soundtracks that even offer 6.1, and even fewer that benefit from the extra rear channel(s), this may not be the case in the future and should be at least considered.

2) Seating and screen size should be determined by the comfort of the user and performance standards of the projector(FP/RP), but the distance to screen width ratio should not be greater than 2:1.

3) The room should have complete light control and there should be no reflective surfaces in the room (glass, mirrors, glossy wall paint, etc).

There are many other options one can do to further enhance a Home Theater system, (such as acoustics, paint, seating, lighting, decor, etc), but I would say the 3 basic criteria are what sets a HT system apart from a TV system.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Thanks a lot, Nils.
When Eric is a teenager, I'm going to show him the stuff you put on him and exposed him to the world via the internet. THAT will be funny!

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Well Scott had a good day today or bad depending on whether or not spending lots of money can actually be considered a good thing by you.

First, I secured a lease on my future living space. It is a 2/1 house with close to 1000 sq ft. on Guadalupe a bit north of Koenig Lane. I am once again goign to have to work with the owner to improve the wiring for a couple outlets so that I can even plug in my system but other than that it is pretty sweet. Hardwood floors, new CA/CH, an elevated front porch, and the living room is about 16'x22' with three large windows. Once I get some proper outlets installed it should make for a wonderful HT/Audio space. We will be living there come June, and it should be much more accepting to me hosting.

Second, I just finished the sale of my Meridian transport (Thanks for the pictures Colin, they worked!). Now the transport just has to arrive to Seattle in good condition.

Third with the sale of the transport, finding out that I didn't run up huge CC bills on our Spring Break vacation, and figruring that I am owed a $1200 tax rebate, I dedcided to make a move on purchasing a new tube preamp.

I had barely missed out on a used Audio Note M2 last week, and then a review of the Granite Audio 770FP preamp popped up on Positive-Feedback Review and it really intrigued me. After talking with the reviewer, the Granite Audio designer, and the Quest for Sound dealer I decided to order the CES 2003 demo model for about 45% off retail. The danger of having champagne tastes on a beer budget is that sometimes you have to take a leap of faith due to cost, but the thing has a really nice interior layout with a load of great audiophile approved parts. I am pretty confident that it will be a great sounding piece, I am less certain of how I will like the granite faceplate. My top choice all along had always been the Lamm LL2 but this thing uses many of the same parts including the volume control of the Lamm (Alps Black Beauty), but it has a better looking internal layout, costs less, has an HT bypass, and by all reports a very, very good MM/MC (you can select the cartridge loading from zero to 100,000 ohms) tube phono stage, which the Lamm is without.

So now I just have to inherit some money to be able to afford a turntable, arm, and cartridge. But if anyone has a good turntable then I can provide a good phono stage now for the vinyl vs. digital. BTW, I am keeping my Theta Casa Nova for now, and I think originally I will just switch inteconnects between the Theta and the Granite, when I want to listen to digital or vinyl. Since I sold the Meridian, I am now just using my Sony S7000 DVD as my transport, which by all reports including my own is a respectable transport. So I guess I can still provide a high level of digital playback as well, but give me until mid-June or July to get things settled.

Oh one last thing, I also went to NePlus Ultra audio salon last week. Great experience, but if you are not looking to lay down $5K plus towards a purchase don't bother. I thought Sound Mind Audio had a lot of high dollar gear and this place put SMA to shame in terms of value of all the gear on display. Wow is all I can say. However, I can also report that Avantegarde Duos, Art Audio Symphony 300B, Hovland HP-100, BAT VK-D5SE and all Cardas Golden Reference cabling was not putting my system to shame at all. Primarily, listening there made me realize that I really need to improve my listening space through acosutical treatments and getting the TV out from between my speakers, and that cathedral ceilings sound great.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Scott -

Where is this NePlus place? Is it in Austin? I didn't think there was anyone left in Austin who would pay $5K+ per component for HT given the crappy job market here, but you never know. Or maybe the place is for people who don't have to work for a living...

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
It's in Austin at the owners house in the Far West Blvd. hills. Actually he carries zero HT components, it's all 2 channel and high dollar 2 channel at that. And yes you are probably right about his clients, as he doesn't have any advertisements, a yellow page listing, or even a webpage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks